Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

e-Bike conversion kit advice

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 10:25 AM
Mr Bee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Afternoon all,

I've seen some post on here the same subject but when it comes to kits purchases they are all based in the US where the OP is. Unfortunately I'm based in the UK.

I am considering purchasing an electric bike conversion kit. I have a short commute to work but it does involve one rather steep hill of 10% for approximately 1km, which then gets steeper to just over 15% for another 150m, I wiegh in at 80kg. My work has no showers and with summer coming I don't want to get to the office dripping in sweat (going home is a breeze).

Ideally I'd like to by a conversion kit with a very portable battery (originally I was thinking the Pocket Bike Juice battery Pocket Bike Juice Electric Bike Conversion Kit | PBJ E-Bike Kit | 4 Mile Electric Bike Kit but I've enquired and it wouldn't cut the mustard). So I think I'd prefer a bottle battery, ideally with integrated controller.

I currently have a 700c wheeled hybrid bike, 24 speed, with disc brakes.

Kits I've considered are OxyDrive, Whoosh, 8Fun, Cyclotricity and Dillenger. All front wheel motor kits (just for ease in my opinion). Typically a 250W motor, with a 36V 9-12A battery. My total commute each day would be ~8 miles and I could charge it at work/home so range isn't a big issue. I would like both pedal assist and motor only for when I'm feeling particularly lazy. I also have gear shifters integrated into my brake levers, and would want a thumb throttle rather than a twist one (got myself some really comfortable grips).

From those listed above they all come in around the £500 mark (which I think is really expensive give that I could buy a petrol motorbike/scooter for the same - even just the materials!), so I guess that is my budget.

If you can recommend a good folding electric bike for the same or less I'd probably get that. As then I could use it on wet days as I could take it in to the office instead of leaving on the street to get soaked all day long - which I currently avoid doing)

As a some what related aside can anyone spot the difference in these two bikes (City Zoom Electric (Brand New) | Bicycles4u.com and City Zoom Electric | Bicycles4u.com), apart from the price tag... I'm wondering given that I have a shortish commute would they be worth a shout - it would be a bike solely for commuting after all).

Thanks for any advice,

Bee
Old 03-26-15, 12:50 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 640 Posts
The two bikes look the same, one an excellent deal, one not so great. Your requirements for the hill portion probably can't be satisfied without a lot of pedaling unless you get a Mac 500w geared or similar motor. I have a 350w Dillenger which wouldn't climb that hill unless I really assisted. Ask the same question on endless sphere or pedelecs.co.uk for a more expert answer.
Old 03-26-15, 01:18 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I recently went through a similar situation. (Maybe you have read some of my posts in previous threads.) For ease of installation, probably a front hub motor is your best choice. I think you're going to want at least 500 watts if you're planning on being lazy some days. I like my Bionx, unfortunately it is way over your budget. I also purchased a 50cc scooter that does the job. However, I just don't enjoy being out in traffic (top speed of 35 mph just isn't enough... especially if you have a steep hill where your top speed my drop to 20 mph) and anything below 50 degrees farenheit and the scooter is a cold ride.
Old 04-02-15, 01:53 PM
Mr Bee

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cheers for the advice!

Think I'll be going for a 500W rear wheel kit from ElectricBike-Conversions Ltd offer you Electric Bikes and Conversion Kits I've noticed they get good write ups on here from a few posts. I've also been chatting to them and they are patiently putting up with my questions (I've not really done any bike work, but I'm happen to get my hands dirty).
@InTheRain I did have a larger powered motorcycle that would easily keep up with traffic and cope with all the hills, but alas the running costs were getting too much and during winter it was just far, far too cold!
Old 04-02-15, 07:07 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 640 Posts
Good luck. It might be advisable to try a bike with the motor/battery that you're considering before deciding on the kit.