Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Deore FC-M6100 left crankarm replacement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-24, 11:43 AM
gspremington

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I must have installed or cross threaded the pedal on the left crankarm and it stripped out.
Left crankarm is labeled Deore FC-M6100/M6120/M6130 175M and has a pair of bolts where it attaches to the crankset. Right crankarm only has FC-M6100 on it.

As I search this part # online/ebay, there seems to be a mix of similar numbered parts that appear different ... some lack tightening bolts based on picture and they vary in price from ~$35-$70+.

Questions:
1) Is this compatible? DEORE FC - M6000 175MM LEFT HAND CRANK ARM? ie will a 6100 and 6000 play well together as long as both 175s? Any issue?
2) What about a Deore FC-M617 175mm Left Black Crankarm? Looks similar and has tightening bolts but different model number.

3) At a minimum, it seems I should purchase a model with the tightening bolts. Just tryign to understand the difference.
Old 04-11-24, 11:46 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4214 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
Have you asked any bike shops if they can install a Helicoil? Some shops are good with this repair method, others would rather just sell a new arm. When done properly a Helicoil is stronger than the OEM threads. Andy
Old 04-11-24, 12:15 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1796 Post(s)
Liked 1,274 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by gspremington
I must have installed or cross threaded the pedal on the left crankarm and it stripped out.
Left crankarm is labeled Deore FC-M6100/M6120/M6130 175M and has a pair of bolts where it attaches to the crankset. Right crankarm only has FC-M6100 on it..
The 6100 is a series and likely covers doubles & triples? maybe even 1X?
The left arm would be the same for all, since there are no chain rings to mount.
175mm is the length.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 04-11-24 at 12:20 PM.
Old 04-11-24, 12:31 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6216 Post(s)
Liked 4,825 Times in 3,329 Posts
What do you think you stripped out? The threads in the end of the spindle or the threads for one of the two pinch bolts on the crank arm.

Do you know how to properly install a crank arm on a two piece Shimano crankset? There is a stopper plate on the arm that tells you if the arm is on the spindle far enough before you begin to tighten the pinch bolts.

Here is the DM for those cranksets. Page 24 tells you how to put the arm on and how to pull it down on the spindle. Page 25 tells you about the stopper plate.

https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/MA...002-11-ENG.pdf

As another mentioned, that arm is for multiple types of crank part numbers.
Old 04-11-24, 12:52 PM
gspremington

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
What do you think you stripped out? The threads in the end of the spindle or the threads for one of the two pinch bolts on the crank arm.

Do you know how to properly install a crank arm on a two piece Shimano crankset? There is a stopper plate on the arm that tells you if the arm is on the spindle far enough before you begin to tighten the pinch bolts.

Here is the DM for those cranksets. Page 24 tells you how to put the arm on and how to pull it down on the spindle. Page 25 tells you about the stopper plate. PROVIDED LINK REMOVED.

As another mentioned, that arm is for multiple types of crank part numbers.
I stripped out the pedal to crankarm. Must have cross threaded. Thanks will consult the linked install manual when the replacement part arrives.

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Have you asked any bike shops if they can install a Helicoil? Some shops are good with this repair method, others would rather just sell a new arm. When done properly a Helicoil is stronger than the OEM threads. Andy
Good to know. I did not consult and had (incorrectly) read that repair was not as strong as new. The replacement part is sub $50 so I did not think I'd find a service provider for less but should have looked.

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
The 6100 is a series and likely covers doubles & triples? maybe even 1X?
The left arm would be the same for all, since there are no chain rings to mount.
175mm is the length.
Yes, makes sense on 1,2,3x chain rings. Mine is single. I was thrown off as Shimano's online pictures show the right crankarm (no mounting bolts) where as the left arm does have them.

Last edited by gspremington; 04-11-24 at 12:53 PM. Reason: expanded answer
Old 04-14-24, 09:45 AM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
"Good to know. I did not consult and had (incorrectly) read that repair was not as strong as new. The replacement part is sub $50 so I did not think I'd find a service provider for less but should have looked."

Don't discard; do inquire and, if feaseable, repair and keep as a replacement; I would.
Likes For Juan el Boricua: