Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

One Month / 140 Miles on My Citizen Tokyo

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 12:28 PM
Geeeyejo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well - it's been approximately one month and 140 miles logged commuting on my Citizen Tokyo. My impressions:
* Build quality is very good - no squeeks, loose spokes, etc - everything is tight as it should be. Although perhaps too early to assess, I do ride this bike hard and at 220lbs on rough NYC streets she is taking a bit of a beating each and every day - time will tell.
*With the freewheel, tire and seat upgrades - definately a capable commuter. The bike feels sturdy and handles very well in traffic. Cruising and top speed is very acceptable for my purposes. This is my first folding bike (and first small wheel although my 69 Stingray with 20" wheels may qualify) and hence cannot compare to others. If this is "entry level" though; I am curious as to what higher end bikes can do!
*The bike folds very compact and is a joy to commute with on the train. Sits at my feet and is quite stabile when folded too. I can fold her in under a minute (less actually but I strap the handlebar stem down and the rear frame leg to the front fork)- this actually takes much more time then the actual folding. I also love the fact that the bike can be wheeled by tilting and holding the extended seat as a handle.
*The bike is quite heavy - likely more than the stated 29lbs but can be lifted quite easily by the seat post when folded and carried up/down stairs - coupled with the wheeling feature and my being relatively strong, the weight really isn't an issue for me. The steel frame does seem to improve strength and road feel/handling.
*Folders really draw attention! I have met and spoken with more people and received more curious stares in this past month then the past few years commuting.
*At 5'9" & 220lbs; I look rather silly on a 16" wheel bike! I wear a small "motorcycle style" black helmet that increases the "silly factor" as well. I have heard an occasional laugh when passing younger folks but could really care less...
*I initially wanted a folder more as a "novelty" - figured I could keep it in the trunk of my car or in my office and go for short rides when I desired. Then the idea of using a folder as part of my commute seemed ideal. Now, I can actually see a folder being the "only bike" needed - properly set up there is no reason they can not be used for distance riding, longer commutes, etc. Fortunately I have the space for other bikes (more so to collect than ride daily) but that little folder is quickly becoming my favorite ride...
Old 07-25-11, 05:43 AM
Niked

Bikes: 2009 Downtube FS8, 1970 Raleigh Gran Prix, 2009 Citizen Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the review. Citizen bikes are a great value. I've had my Tokyo for three years now and have had no issues. I love the compact fold.

This season, I keep the folder in the trunk and do boardwalk rides when we hit the beach.
Old 07-25-11, 05:54 AM
Jiten

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the review. Please keep us updated farther down the road.

I just checked the price of Citizen Tokyo. I didn't know it was priced so inexpensively. Good-looking bike.