Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New Huffy Touriste 3-speed Japanese folding bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-21, 05:04 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 79 Posts

In the past few days, I received this awesome if a bit beat up Huffy Touriste ($50 on eBay + $58 shipping from Worcester, MA). I took it out for a test ride and it handled well, but I still need to adjust the shifter. I can go 1-2-3 and then back to 1, but not 3-2-1. I wonder if the cable is sticking somehow in the housing. Also there is a lot of resistance going from 2 to 1. I don't know if that is normal.

Anyway, it rides very nicely, feels solid, and is so nimble. It's easy to make tight turns at low speed and it stops quickly. This bike is going to become my all purpose commuter and Metro bike. It folds neatly and will fit on the train nicely. It also seems better suited to sidewalks with its small, wide tires (16" x 1.75"). That said, I do feel bumps more than I do on my Schwinn, and it seems to top out at 13 mph in my trail ride (though I am working on making myself faster lol) while the Schwinn gets up to 20 mph.

Serial number is S1F93356. Includes Araya alloy rims, Sugino cranks, and a Shimano 3S hub. I cleaned the especially long chain guard with my aluminum foil/salt water combo and it cleaned up quite nice. It looks very similar to a Sekai folding bike on eBay, so my guess is that it's a rebadged Sekai. Solidly built and hefty at roughly 25 lbs.

Chain guard cleaned up with salt water alunamoon!

Opposite side by my apartment

Folded up in walkway

Endpoint on the Capital Crescent Trail

Touriste at south portal of the Dalecarlia Tunnel

South portal of the Dalecarlia Tunnel

Folded up in the apartment

Last edited by molleraj; 08-14-21 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Wrong serial number.
Old 08-08-21, 06:22 PM
molleraj

Bikes: 1993 (?) BikeE CT RoadE edition, 2007 (?) Dahon Speed D7, 2003 (?) Specialized Globe Sport, 1969 Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, 1974 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1982 Peugeot P8

Update: shifting is easiest in motion without pedaling...hope my hub is OK :-)

Last edited by molleraj; 08-08-21 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 07:46 AM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
You have a gem on your hands! Never heard of using salt water to de Rust? Seems counterintuitive...

My Shimano hubs shift when not pedaling, just like Sturmey A

Lowering the saddle and handle bars will get that baby tiny-er

16” wheels... play with the PSI for bump smoothing

My only 16” folder but not my only mini- velo!
Old 08-09-21, 10:31 AM
molleraj

Originally Posted by 3speedslow
You have a gem on your hands! Never heard of using salt water to de Rust? Seems counterintuitive...

My Shimano hubs shift when not pedaling, just like Sturmey A

Lowering the saddle and handle bars will get that baby tiny-er

16” wheels... play with the PSI for bump smoothing

My only 16” folder but not my only mini- velo!
Thanks! I used it to get to work this morning! It handles nicely but I have to be very careful at curbs. I now shift while coasting and it works perfect. The bike does indeed compact nicely and I can flip down the handlebars. Should I lower the PSI to deal with bumps?
Old 08-09-21, 05:16 PM
3speedslow

Your tires are large enough to play with the psi a bit. Trial and error as you go. Find the sweet spot which soaks up the rough spots but does not give you pinch flats. Are the tires in good shape?

I never would have guessed this was a huffy!
Old 08-09-21, 07:06 PM
molleraj

Your tires are large enough to play with the psi a bit. Trial and error as you go. Find the sweet spot which soaks up the rough spots but does not give you pinch flats. Are the tires in good shape?

I never would have guessed this was a huffy!
OK, good to know! The tires are in good shape. They say "IRC Tractor Grip" on the side. Also the tubes seem to hold air.

You never would have guessed because it's not, lol. It was made in Japan probably by Sekai for Huffy. It's definitely not your typical underwhelming Huffy. In fact, the Huffy Sportsman 3-speed was a rebadged Raleigh, IIRC.

I forgot to mention I don't clean rust with salt water per se. I dose aluminum in salt water and then rub the aluminum on the chrome. This causes a chemical reaction that solubilizes the rust at the expense of the aluminum and also creates a polishing solution from the rust (probably chromium or iron chloride?). I then wipe the film from the chrome with a paper towel.
Old 08-09-21, 07:54 PM
3speedslow

True, Huffy did go shopping for others to make their nice bikes. I was aware of the Raleigh connection but not this Sekai story.

Any chance to find out its age? Anything looked replaced or upgraded?
Old 08-09-21, 08:37 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
That is indeed the Dalecarlia rail tunnel down by the reservoir on the DC line. I lived in Bethesda for quite a few years and used to ride the Crescent trail on my Raleigh Sports and Columbia ballooner. The trail was usually pretty busy on weekends, but weeknights were more manageable. The tree roots used to make bounce pads under the pavement. But it was a lot of fun hitting the trail 5x per week. That was quite a few years ago now though...
Old 08-09-21, 09:09 PM
molleraj

True, Huffy did go shopping for others to make their nice bikes. I was aware of the Raleigh connection but not this Sekai story.

Any chance to find out its age? Anything looked replaced or upgraded?
I am not sure if it's Sekai, Apparently there were also identical Bridgestone Picnica folder models. I just guessed Sekai because I saw this eBay listing for an almost identical Sekai folder: https://www.ebay.com/itm/22449047452...p2047675.l2557

The only thing that looks replaced is the seat, which is a Mesinger seat made in the US.
Old 08-10-21, 01:52 PM
molleraj

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
That is indeed the Dalecarlia rail tunnel down by the reservoir on the DC line. I lived in Bethesda for quite a few years and used to ride the Crescent trail on my Raleigh Sports and Columbia ballooner. The trail was usually pretty busy on weekends, but weeknights were more manageable. The tree roots used to make bounce pads under the pavement. But it was a lot of fun hitting the trail 5x per week. That was quite a few years ago now though...
Ooooh nice! Yes, I am indeed planning to travel on early weekday mornings or evenings when I can. I have indeed felt the root breaks in the pavement lol.
Old 08-11-21, 10:00 AM
molleraj

Quick questions -

1) Is there any way to lubricate the 3S hub? Someone suggested I remove the bellcrank and rod and use light oil on both. I would guess if the rod comes out, I could put a couple drops in the opening.
2) Is switching out the 3S for an inexpensive Nexus 4 worth it long term? I just wonder if it will be any more reliable, shift better, and/or have a broader gear range. A Nuvinci would be fun lol but those hubs have 32 holes. The current 3S and Nexus 4 have 28.

That said, I have *never* rebuilt a wheel and I don't want to muck it up my first time. I could go to a bike co-op for this. If the Nexus 4 is really no better than the 3S, I will just lube and refine what I have for much less time and money (this is preferred).
Old 08-14-21, 04:35 PM
molleraj

More recently I replaced the shifter cable which has seemingly abolished issues downshifting. I also pumped some four cycle oil into the Shimano hub by squirting down the pushrod hole. It seems to coast and shift even better afterward.

I also added a front reflector and bell easier to reach from the handlebar that has a very satisfying ring. All this helped in my test ride (3 miles) to Friendship Heights this steamy evening. Pictures soon!
Old 08-14-21, 05:06 PM
3speedslow

If your Shimano hub does not have the plastic cap then what you did pushing oil through the rod channel is good. I use a small syringe with SAE 30 weight. One of my Shimano hubs circa 72 has a plastic port, others don’t...

Keep the wheel you have and build something different if you want change or experimentation. Remember a hub change can lead to necessary part changes like shifters.

Eager for pics!
Old 08-14-21, 05:42 PM
molleraj

If your Shimano hub does not have the plastic cap then what you did pushing oil through the rod channel is good. I use a small syringe with SAE 30 weight. One of my Shimano hubs circa 72 has a plastic port, others don’t...

Keep the wheel you have and build something different if you want change or experimentation. Remember a hub change can lead to necessary part changes like shifters.

Eager for pics!
Sadly no plastic cap. The pushrod hole happily slurped oil though. I used 20W-50 I think (yes - just checked). It was cheap at Home Depot.

Agreed about the wheel. I have no interest in ruining this beautiful Araya rim. Yes, in the winter, I may grab a Nexus 4 and shifter for $75 or so total. Then add the wheel and it's a $100 repair.

Pics sooner! Haha.
Old 08-14-21, 05:43 PM
molleraj

Also I saw the serial number is not Fxxxxx, but S1F93356. I wonder if S is Sekai and F is folder.
Old 08-14-21, 06:56 PM
3speedslow

Originally Posted by molleraj
Also I saw the serial number is not Fxxxxx, but S1F93356. I wonder if S is Sekai and F is folder.
In the sticky section we have a serial number thread for manufacturers. It run by our own BF Expert T-mar who put it together. Bring the serial# and ask a question. Mystery will be no more.
Old 08-14-21, 07:18 PM
molleraj

I guess it also could be a Bridgestone serial number. Anyway, enjoy these pics!

At Friendship Village/Friendship Heights

New super resonant bell that's easier to strike

Front view with new reflector

Another front/top view
Old 08-14-21, 07:19 PM
molleraj

In the sticky section we have a serial number thread for manufacturers. It run by our own BF Expert T-mar who put it together. Bring the serial# and ask a question. Mystery will be no more.
Oh nice! Wow perfect. Let me find that sticky.
Old 08-14-21, 07:33 PM
SirMike1983 
On the road

Bikes: Old Schwinns and old Raleighs

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 850 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by molleraj
Ooooh nice! Yes, I am indeed planning to travel on early weekday mornings or evenings when I can. I have indeed felt the root breaks in the pavement lol.
I lived for several years at Westwood Tower, and we used to cut through the back from Westwood Tower, over the gravel, past the automobile repair shops, and onto the trail. I think they tried to close that off some years later because they didn't want people cutting through from the Westwood over to the trail. I was there circa 2007 - 2011. That cut through was great because it meant not having to ride down River Road to connect to the trail. It was a nice place to live, but pretty expensive (like most of Bethesda).

Prior to that, I lived at Park Bethesda, which I think has changed names since then. It's Riverstone or some such now. Originally American University owned the Park Bethesda, and it let you live in a fully equipped apartment as a grad or law student (and some undergrads who had cars lived there too). I lived there first year of law school, but AU ended up selling the building and we all got tossed out. It later became a luxury apartment building after all the students got forced out. I lived there 2005 - 2006 near the end of the run for the school's ownership. It was a really neat place to live. I don't recall us having a cut-through from the Park Bethesda to the trail directly. If I recall, you used to have to go down Westbard Ave, then cross over and push the bike up the embankment to the trail. There's an interesting alternative walking trail there that kind of runs along with the Crescent Trail - you'll see the entrance to it if you go to where the Crescent Trail goes over Mass Avenue, near where Westbard intersects. Down below you'll see a little trail entrance. That's kind of a nice, woodsy walking trail for when you're not riding.

I managed to fit my Raleigh Sports 3-speed in both apartments and I used to ride a lot in the evenings after school and work. I had a Columbia ballooner for part of that run as well. I remember working my ass off to get the 1951 Columbia up the overpass to go up into Bethesda center on the trail. Sometimes my girlfriend (now the wife) would bring her 1960s Schwinn 2-speed and we'd go as a pair down to Georgetown to the canal area. Good times, and some good memories down there.
Old 08-15-21, 08:52 AM
molleraj

Originally Posted by SirMike1983
I lived for several years at Westwood Tower, and we used to cut through the back from Westwood Tower, over the gravel, past the automobile repair shops, and onto the trail. I think they tried to close that off some years later because they didn't want people cutting through from the Westwood over to the trail. I was there circa 2007 - 2011. That cut through was great because it meant not having to ride down River Road to connect to the trail. It was a nice place to live, but pretty expensive (like most of Bethesda).

Prior to that, I lived at Park Bethesda, which I think has changed names since then. It's Riverstone or some such now. Originally American University owned the Park Bethesda, and it let you live in a fully equipped apartment as a grad or law student (and some undergrads who had cars lived there too). I lived there first year of law school, but AU ended up selling the building and we all got tossed out. It later became a luxury apartment building after all the students got forced out. I lived there 2005 - 2006 near the end of the run for the school's ownership. It was a really neat place to live. I don't recall us having a cut-through from the Park Bethesda to the trail directly. If I recall, you used to have to go down Westbard Ave, then cross over and push the bike up the embankment to the trail. There's an interesting alternative walking trail there that kind of runs along with the Crescent Trail - you'll see the entrance to it if you go to where the Crescent Trail goes over Mass Avenue, near where Westbard intersects. Down below you'll see a little trail entrance. That's kind of a nice, woodsy walking trail for when you're not riding.

I managed to fit my Raleigh Sports 3-speed in both apartments and I used to ride a lot in the evenings after school and work. I had a Columbia ballooner for part of that run as well. I remember working my ass off to get the 1951 Columbia up the overpass to go up into Bethesda center on the trail. Sometimes my girlfriend (now the wife) would bring her 1960s Schwinn 2-speed and we'd go as a pair down to Georgetown to the canal area. Good times, and some good memories down there.
Wow, pretty impressive stories! I bet that Columbia ballooner was heavy. I need to look up Westbard Avenue and Westwood Tower. This morning I biked down to Hains Point and back up to the Capitol from Bethesda on the folder - about 18.5 miles. Next time I will try biking to Smithsonian station, getting off at Stadium-Armory, and biking again along the Anacostia Riverwalk Trail. Then maybe the Mt. Vernon Trail to get a nice view of DCA.
Likes For molleraj:
Old 08-17-21, 06:43 PM
molleraj

Upon further examination and T-Mar's help, this appears to be a 1981 or 1982 model. The Shimano 3S hub has a date code of FB (1981 February). The front Shimano 5353 hub has a date code of FK (1981 November). The Sugino Idol cranks are labeled 2 at left and 150 at right (no idea).

Rear 3S hub, FB

Sugino Idol crank, 2 150

Front hub, 5353FK
Old 08-17-21, 07:03 PM
3speedslow

Nice sleuthing! Any hits on the frames serial # for possible date or manufacturer?
Old 08-17-21, 07:19 PM
molleraj

Nice sleuthing! Any hits on the frames serial # for possible date or manufacturer?
Thanks! T-Mar says probably OEM contract manufacturer for Sekai/Bridgestone/Huffy and 1981 (S1F93356). S(1) apparently is Shogun, Sekai, or Nishiki and the F is 1981.

T-Mar will be doing more forensics soon.
Old 08-18-21, 07:47 AM
3speedslow

He’s a good one to have on the case! On my 76 Schwinn Le TourII I suspected Bridgestone was the maker. When I pulled the fork I indeed found BS markings.

Have you looked at the steerer tube yet?
Old 08-18-21, 08:10 AM
molleraj

He’s a good one to have on the case! On my 76 Schwinn Le TourII I suspected Bridgestone was the maker. When I pulled the fork I indeed found BS markings.

Have you looked at the steerer tube yet?
Indeed, I need to look at the steerer tube, though it's quite dinged up. Upon further examination of the components (Nov. 1981 for the front hub), T-Mar thinks this is a 1982 bicycle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.