Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Deep cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-21, 03:06 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Deep cleaning

I have 2 bikes, I light weight road bike and a CX bike that I use in the winter and on wet days. So every winter I do a deep cleaning including taking it apart with the exception of the cockpit, brake calipers and front derailleur. I regularly clean the bike during the year but I am amazed how much dirt there is during the deep cleaning.

Having a ultrasonic cleaner really help clean the chain, cassette and other parts that have hard to get to spaces. Simple hot water and some Dawn dish soap works for most. For the chain I put it in a 1/2 pint plastic container with a solvent and then put the container into the ultrasonic bath. That way I don't need to fill the entire tub with cleaner. The chainrings are cleaned with some solvent and a old toothbrush. I wipe the frame with some 10:1 water/Simple Green and then grease the bottom bracket and fork. The jockey wheels are removed from the rear derailleur and all is cleaned and lubed.

Finally I reassemble everything using a torque wrench and finally applying oil to the pivots and brake calipers.

Cassette after only a few minutes in the ultrasonic bath.

I was able to get the brake calipers in without disconnecting them. No reason since the cables work just fine. The calipers came out looking like new.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-09-21, 05:08 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 966 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
WOW... Nice work.

No one who really rides will argue that after cleaning your bike it go's faster...
Old 01-09-21, 09:00 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
My cleaning regimen is very similar. I deep clean and lube pivot points as needed, So far I’ve only put the chain and cassette in my ultrasonic cleaner but that may change too. I use Dr Bronners Castile soap on everything, except brake tracks and rotors.
Old 01-09-21, 09:36 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Having a ultrasonic cleaner really help clean the chain, cassette and other parts that have hard to get to spaces.
I have been seriously considering an ultrasonic cleaner. I am curious why you did not leave the crank assembled and put it in the cleaner. Is it a tank size issue?
Old 01-10-21, 08:58 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by bikeaddiction1
I have been seriously considering an ultrasonic cleaner. I am curious why you did not leave the crank assembled and put it in the cleaner. Is it a tank size issue?
Yes, the tank is 2L so it won't fit. I do have access to a automotive size parts washer but rather not use put it in harsh chemicals. Also taking it apart is not difficult. That allows me to put the crank arms in the ultrasonic and the chainrings were cleaned with some Simple Green and a toothbrush.

I have new bar tape and will redo the bars in late April after the Spring showers wash the salt and debris off the roads.

Is the excessive? Maybe but i have 26,000 miles on the original Sram Red cassette and chainrings. The chain gets replaced every 3000 or so miles. The bottom bracket is cleaned and greased every 1000 miles and a general cleaning is done weekly which is about every 150 miles.

I spent "stupid" money on this bike and my cost per mile, for my original purchase, is under 50¢ per mile
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-10-21, 09:07 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,433 Times in 2,759 Posts
Good job. I'm always impressed by the amount of crud that collects on unseen surfaces of the brakes and FD.
Old 01-10-21, 09:20 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Challenger cleaner/degreaser. I use this for heavy cleaning. Amazing how it works on my old vintage bikes. Even restores brake pads and brake hoods. Cleans my white bar tape too.

Old 01-10-21, 09:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Thank you for posting Glenn. I will never consider myself anal with maintenance again!
Old 01-10-21, 09:37 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Good job. I'm always impressed by the amount of crud that collects on unseen surfaces of the brakes and FD.
I clean the bike almost every week and wipe the brake calipers as best I can and felt they were clean. This time I decided to put them in the ultrasonic bath without removing the cables. The water was clean with some Dawn, but quickly saw a cloud of dirt emerge from the calipers. Withing minutes the water was murky and dark. All of that dirt was in the places I couldn't get to with spray cleaner and a paper towel.

I'll include this step in my yearly winter cleaning.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 01-10-21, 09:41 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Thank you for posting Glenn. I will never consider myself anal with maintenance again!
This is where I come from.

This is the engine in my 74 VW and has 46,000 miles on it.

And this is 22 year old paint.
Likes For GlennR: