Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

CO2 inflator. Which one?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

CO2 inflator. Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-21, 02:21 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I like my inflator that uses NON-threaded cartridges because the cartridges are cheap as chips.
Old 08-24-21, 02:30 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Yes. Like you, I ride with a tiny saddle bag, which is full with my CO2 patch kit and wallet. My middle jersey pocket is spoken for (phone). My right pocket during the summer/pandemic is spoken for (bandana). It's nice to have the left pocket free for whatever.
In recent years I've been using a pretty good-sized Acorn bag with spare tube, spare folding clincher, emergency tools, CO2, tire boots - even a small canister with my late cat's ashes:

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-24-21, 06:38 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3888 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
I use the same one I've used for the last dozen years, a Planet Bike Air Kiss.
But if I were shopping for one today, I would buy a Planet Bike Black Zeppelin.

That's the way. It would be a celebration day. Dancing days. For use over the hills and far away. To ramble on. No fool in the rain here. If it didn't work, it would be nobody's fault but mine. And if someone asked me for a pump, I could give no quarter.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-24-21, 06:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I have a couple of CO2 inflators (come in handy for night riding) and one of them is like this one. Don’t like it. The spring is stiff and you have to push on the head while the liquid flashes to gas which gets really, really cold. The Genuine Innovation Ultraflate is better insulated.
hey thanks, I might check that out
Old 08-24-21, 06:51 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by gugie

oh man that looks amazing! thought I wuz gonna die last week after about 4 hrs riding in super hot, super humid weather. if I didn't find water to jump into, I might not have made it home alive
Old 08-24-21, 07:14 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by canklecat
I got one of those for my Lezyne Road Caddy bag. It's the only type that would fit, along with the CO2 cartridge, tube, lever, etc. Haven't used it yet, no idea how well it works.
I use Schrader valves. I'm a bit ham-fisted & they've always been kinda bulletproof for me. the inflator works fine. when I screw the cartridge on I don't hear any pop when it punctures the canister. I grasp it firmly & press it on the valve firmly & squarely. with Schrader valves I have to support the valve from the other side, pressing on the tire. which doesn't block the air. as soon as it inflates (which is almost instantaneously!) I take it off & test the pressure, either with a pinch or a gauge. if it needs more, I just press it on again. there's nothing to fuss with, screw the cartridge on & press against the valve. bingo bango I'm riding again

the cartridges come in diff. sizes

it was particularly useful one time when I had a slow leak. I was able to occasionally boost the inflation as I finished my ride. so convenient!

as cyccommute mentioned, the spring tension is tight. in fact, I thought my first unit got worse or wasn't fitting right, so I bought a 2nd & carry both. but they both work. they are tiny so I have to keep them in separate plastic zip bags, in my field repair bag, to be sure I don't lose them. 1 is by itself & 1 is w/ 2 cartridges

on epic rides I sometimes carry 4 cartridges in addition to my pump

on at least 1 occasion, I had 1 new cartridge be a dud. brand new, screwed it on, no gas. unscrewed it, no gas escape & it had a new hole from the inflator. I imagine new cartridge duds are quite rare but still, if you're gonna carry 1 you might as well carry 2

cartridges don't work when frozen so I keep them in my house during winter & carry them with me when I go out. they don't go in the winter bag they go in a coat pocket close to my body to stay at least a reasonable temperature

I also carry a small hand pump

you might want to test using it at home the next time you're swapping tires or something, so you have a feel for it. especially if you're using Presta valves, I think
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 08-24-21, 07:22 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
I disagree. The Zefal HPx is a good pump but it pales in comparison to the Topeak Morphs. Pushing the plunger down into the ground is far easier than trying to pump at 90° to the wheel.
If there were such a thing as a full-frame, spring-mounted pump with a folding foot-thing, 90 degree folding handle and a mounting spring lockout, with Zefal durability, that would be the bestest thing ever.

--Shannon
Old 08-24-21, 07:58 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Now I'm wondering which works better against an aggressive dog: a whack with a pump or a face full of CO2? Discuss

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 08-24-21, 09:50 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
If there were such a thing as a full-frame, spring-mounted pump with a folding foot-thing, 90 degree folding handle and a mounting spring lockout, with Zefal durability, that would be the bestest thing ever.

--Shannon

Length is close and, having run over a number of Zefal HP pumps because they popped out of the frame, the mount is far more secure. I bought my first Topeak Morph in 2000 and still have it. It still works and is going strong. I think it will last.

And it doesn’t rip valve stems out nor have to be pumped against a fence post or, worse, my knee to get to the proper pressure.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-25-21, 04:47 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Pushing the plunger down into the ground is far easier than trying to pump at 90° to the wheel.
That's a skill thing (but it's ok if you can't learn it, different strokes etcetera, I know otherwise competent cyclists who are lost without indexed shifting); and pumps that have hoses have more places to leak.

As well, you can exert more force on the air column in the pump with it held between your hands than you can pushing down on the ground.
Old 08-25-21, 05:33 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by oneclick
That's a skill thing (but it's ok if you can't learn it, different strokes etcetera, I know otherwise competent cyclists who are lost without indexed shifting); and pumps that have hoses have more places to leak.
There are lots of skills that aren’t worth having because there are better ways of accomplishing the same goal that are easier. I have owned and used Zefal pumps. I know how to pump up a tire with one. I just choose to use an easier, less difficult method.

As to leaking hoses, hasn’t been a problem in 20 years of using one. Zefals, on the other hand, don’t work at all if you run over them…which I have done numerous times.

As well, you can exert more force on the air column in the pump with it held between your hands than you can pushing down on the ground.
Um…no. Physics. When you push down into the ground, the maximum force is your body weight. When you push from one arm into the other, you can’t exert as much force. We don’t hold floor pumps between our hands and pump tires that way because we can exert as much force as our body weight.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-25-21, 07:08 PM
oneclick 

Um…no. Physics. When you push down into the ground, the maximum force is your body weight. When you push from one arm into the other, you can’t exert as much force. We don’t hold floor pumps between our hands and pump tires that way because we can exert as much force as our body weight.
I don't think that's correct.

Anyone who can do a pull-up is exerting more force than their body weight.

Squeezing a pump is, of course, not a pull-up; an exercise that is fairly similar to pumping is a chest-fly; average values for machine chest flys (flies?) quoted on the 'net show that any male more advanced than "novice" can exert more force than their body weight.

And if you did manage to exert more force on a floor pump than your body weight you'd be (briefly) doing a different kind of flying.

Of course, in a way this is all academic. All you need is a smidgen more than the pressure in the tyre - did you *really* need to get them up to 195 psi?
Old 08-25-21, 08:59 PM
cyccommute 

I don't think that's correct.

Anyone who can do a pull-up is exerting more force than their body weight.

Squeezing a pump is, of course, not a pull-up; an exercise that is fairly similar to pumping is a chest-fly; average values for machine chest flys (flies?) quoted on the 'net show that any male more advanced than "novice" can exert more force than their body weight.
Not from what I’m seeing. MyFit.ca says that the average weight with a chest fly machine is 104 lbs they suggest starting at 50% of that for a novice. They also have a chest fly standard chart that lists weight for various levels of experience. You don’t get to more than body weight until intermediate level which they define as

Intermediate: Stronger than 50% of lifters. An intermediate lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least two years.
A novice is defined as

Stronger than 20% of lifters. A novice lifter has trained regularly in the technique for at least six months.
Most people are going to be closer to a “beginner” in terms of arm strength. They are going to find driving the piston into the ground with their body weight than squeeze it.

Old 08-26-21, 04:44 AM
oneclick 

MyFit.ca says that the average weight with a chest fly machine is 104 lbs
What's the body weight of that 104 lb lifter?
Old 08-26-21, 07:24 AM
cyccommute 

What's the body weight of that 104 lb lifter?
They say “average”. I assume that’s over all weight ranges. I also assume that everyone who uses one of these machines isn’t using the maximum weight all the time.

Old 08-26-21, 10:26 AM
fliplap

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 328 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
as much as I feel like a Silca frame pump is the one true and pure way to put air into tires, I feel obliged to mention that racers were carrying compressed gas for inflating spare tires a long time ago.

These cylinders of compressed gas (just air, I think) were larger than modern CO2 cartridges, and the French term is "gonfleur". A search for this term pulls up various images, such as this one from Flickr..

[...]

Steve in Peoria (still a Silca Impero fan)
A few more detail's from Heiko's Rebour archives on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/414206...7719190382423/

"FOR QUICK INFLATION"
This bottle filled with compressed air at 100 kilos allows you to largely inflate two tubulars to 4 kilos. Each bottle is tested at a pressure of 300 kilos before being put into service.
The right-angled connector, which does not change the rider's usual gesture, fits easily on all valves and has the advantage of not twisting the mechanism pins, provided of course that the connector is fully engaged on the valve. Simply screw the body on to open the bottle, and unscrew it to stop the compressed air outlet. The cylinder is provided with a centre point at each end for mounting on the bicycle frame itself.
Old 08-26-21, 03:59 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,376 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by fliplap
A few more detail's from Heiko's Rebour archives on Flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/414206...7719190382423/
"FOR QUICK INFLATION"
This bottle filled with compressed air at 100 kilos allows you to largely inflate two tubulars to 4 kilos. Each bottle is tested at a pressure of 300 kilos before being put into service.
The right-angled connector, which does not change the rider's usual gesture, fits easily on all valves and has the advantage of not twisting the mechanism pins, provided of course that the connector is fully engaged on the valve. Simply screw the body on to open the bottle, and unscrew it to stop the compressed air outlet. The cylinder is provided with a centre point at each end for mounting on the bicycle frame itself.
always nice to see another Daniel Rebour drawing! I'm slowly making my way through Heiko's flickr pages.
I'm trying to figure out what a "kilo" translates into. I'm inclined to think it might be a kilopascal (kpa), but 4kpa is only 27.6 psi. I'm not sure how big the tubulars were back then, but 27.6psi seems quite low.
Of course, translation is always difficult, and especially when different eras and cultures are part of the translation. I like the comment "The right-angled connector, which does not change the rider's usual gesture", which I think means that the rider uses the same position/posture to use it as the rider would use when operating a Silca Impero pump. In the current culture in the USA, "the rider's usual gesture" suggests some sort of body language that is intended to send a message... probably not a happy message either, when fixing a flat.

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-26-21, 04:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
always nice to see another Daniel Rebour drawing! I'm slowly making my way through Heiko's flickr pages.
I'm trying to figure out what a "kilo" translates into. I'm inclined to think it might be a kilopascal (kpa), but 4kpa is only 27.6 psi. I'm not sure how big the tubulars were back then, but 27.6psi seems quite low.
Of course, translation is always difficult, and especially when different eras and cultures are part of the translation. I like the comment "The right-angled connector, which does not change the rider's usual gesture", which I think means that the rider uses the same position/posture to use it as the rider would use when operating a Silca Impero pump. In the current culture in the USA, "the rider's usual gesture" suggests some sort of body language that is intended to send a message... probably not a happy message either, when fixing a flat.

Steve in Peoria
kgf/cm^2 ?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-26-21, 05:42 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
kgf/cm^2 ?
That’s 1400 psi. Not sure I’d want to carry around a bottle with that much pressure and an unregulated valve. It’s also going to take one hell of a compressor to fill them. CO2 cartridges are at about 800 psi.

Old 08-26-21, 06:56 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
That’s 1400 psi. Not sure I’d want to carry around a bottle with that much pressure and an unregulated valve. It’s also going to take one hell of a compressor to fill them. CO2 cartridges are at about 800 psi.
It was my best guess. 4 kgf/cm^2 is still only 57 psi in those tubulars.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 08-26-21 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-26-21, 07:04 PM
ShannonM

57 psi in a Clement Del Mondo silk would for sure get you home, and would probably ride pretty sweet...

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 08-26-21, 08:27 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
CO2 is not vintage, so I would never use them. Plus, when I see spent cartridges litter the sides of the roads, I go postal.

I still have my Silca frame-fit pumps with Campy two-prong metal heads, although a couple of them have some rust. But I find myself more often than not just bringing along a mini pump. It's less vintage, but nobody is ever like, "hey, great vintage bike but where's your Silca pump?" Just sayin'.
Wonder how many vintage automobile drivers use hand pumps?
Old 08-27-21, 01:21 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by onyerleft
CO2 is not vintage, so I would never use them. Plus, when I see spent cartridges litter the sides of the roads, I go postal.
Bike Pros might disagree. The picture is copywrited 1996 but inflators have been around for quite a while. There’s a patent from 1954 but I can’t say that’s the first one.

My favorite dumb idea inflator is Genuine Innovations propane inflator. They call it “Big Air” probably because of the boost that the explosion gives you

Last edited by cyccommute; 08-27-21 at 08:04 AM.
Old 08-27-21, 06:29 PM
ShannonM

Bike Pros might disagree. The picture is copywrited 1996 but inflators have been around for quite a while. There’s a patent from 1954 but I can’t say that’s the first one.

My favorite dumb idea inflator is Genuine Innovations propane inflator. They call it “Big Air” probably because of the boost that the explosion gives you
My favorite dumb idea inflator is probably Stalin.

--Shannon
Old 09-17-21, 07:40 AM
HeikoS69

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 18 Posts
Close!

"Kilo" does not fit into the unit system of pressures in this context. As in Europe we use "bar" or "Pascal", it would either mean 4 kilobar (58015 Psi) or 4 kiloPascal (0.58 Psi).
1 bar = 100 kPa = 100000 Pa
1 Pa = 1 N/m² (apx 0.0981 kgf / m²)
1 bar = 100000 N/m² = 10 N/cm² (apx 0.981 kgf / cm²)

I would assume that Rebour is thinking in a different category in this text, that of ambient atmospheric air pressure.
Atmospheric air pressure (weather) is given a number in Europe that is around 1000. In a high pressure weather situation it is usually above 1000, in a low pressure situation it is below. The correct unit for this is millibar (mbar) or hectopascal (hPa).
So the "4 kilos" written in the text are surely 4000 mbar = 4 bar = 58 Psi.

In those days (1950!) racing bicycle tubulars on French roads were around 700x28c to 700x32c.

Last edited by HeikoS69; 09-17-21 at 07:43 AM.
Likes For HeikoS69:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.