Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Crown Race Reducer for Merida Speeder 100 Fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-21, 03:24 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts

I have a Merida Speeder 100 https://www.merida-bikes.com/en/bike/3127/speeder-100. It has a carbon fork with a tapered steerer tube. The headset is a "Merida M2341 Neck" and I cannot find detailed specs for it on the Merida site.

I am interested in replacing the Merida 100 carbon fork with a Surly Disc Trucker fork. Axle-to-crown and offset are just fine, but the Surly fork has a straight 1 1/8" steerer tube.

Can anyone please help me work out what sort of crown race reducer I would need?

Would any 1.5" to 1 1/8" generic crown race reducer work? Like this one for example: (https://www.bike24.com/p2264279.html).

Or is there something I am missing?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Edit: Sorry, the title should have read "headset" rather than "fork." I want to fit a 1 1/8 straight steerer tube fork in a tapered headtube. TIA.

Last edited by PDKL45; 12-27-21 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-27-21, 09:13 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4205 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,312 Posts
Check out Cane Creek's offerings for a complete headset with a mixed upper and lower stack spec.

Thanks for providing us links to your bike and possible crown race, so many people don't give us easy access to what they have looked at. I do note that Merida gives no dimensional info in the spec sheet. No surprise as this info is not needed to sell a bike So, I can't say if the crown race will fit the fork. It is not an adaptor but a complete replacement race. Whether the conical bearing seat is of the right diameter and angle to match up with the OEM bearing. OR whether the replacement crown race will interface with the OEM lower stack's outer "skirt" and seal. The proposed race looks to be shaped for a specific headset and not at all what I would call "generic".

Without more info I will say that you need to have the bike/fork in hand to measure before you will know what works and what almost but not quite fits. Andy
Old 12-27-21, 11:32 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4355 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
You could potentially do it but why? Just run that bike into the ground and save up money towards a bike that makes more sense for you? That fork is probably the nicest parts on the bike and not one I would remove.
Old 12-27-21, 12:24 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
You could potentially do it but why? Just run that bike into the ground and save up money towards a bike that makes more sense for you? That fork is probably the nicest parts on the bike and not one I would remove.
I agree with this recommendation. I have owned three Surly bikes, including my current Midnight Special, so I'm familiar with and like them. However, all changing your carbon fork for the Disc Trucker fork is going to accomplish is to add about three pounds to it and make the headset change a pain to accomplish.

The factory headset seems to be an FSA No.57/No.61BP and it isn't available with a bottom assembly to fit a 1-1/8" straight steerer. Cane Creek doesn't appear to offer a suitable lower either. Check with your dealer but I believe you are out of luck.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 12-27-21, 05:36 PM
PDKL45

Thanks for the info. I am keen to run SKS bluemels fenders and a Racktime Topit rack, as the carbon fork doesn't have an eyelet in the fork crown. I get that there are clip on fenders, but they don't have the coverage want, or the ones that do are unavailable to me. I actually have fairly inadequate clip on fenders on it right now. Lots of Speeders online--even the newer revamped models--have a fender mounting eyelet on the rear of the fork crown in photos, but mine lacks one for whatever reason. I'm sick of snow melt water in winter and water during rainy season commutes, as well as mornings after overnight showers, but I guess I'll work something out.

Edit: I've actually been quite dumb, in that the answer was there all along, had I actually dug deeper and checked something out properly. Looks like I've just worked something out.

Last edited by PDKL45; 12-28-21 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-03-22, 07:12 PM
PDKL45

If anyone finds this thread through Google, looking to insert a 1 1/8 straight steerer tube into a Merida or similar bike with a tapered headtube and tapered steerer tube, look closely at the headset. For Merida it's zero stack, so the stock tapered headset will look like ZS44/28.6-ZS55/40 (ZS for zero stack and the other measurements for tube diameters). You can use any ZS44/28.6 headset top portion, but you will need to find something like a ZS55/30 bottom headset portion for 15 Euros or something. My advice is don't accept defeat, teach yourself what the numbers mean and then find the part you need.

Last edited by PDKL45; 03-03-22 at 10:08 PM.
Likes For PDKL45: