Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Grips for Scott AT-3 Bullhorns

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-21, 12:03 PM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts

Anyone have any ideas/experience for installing grips on a Scott AT-3, bullhorn bar? As the grips will need to travel around an 180 degree turn during installation and be open ended at both ends, I wonder if there are any recommendations.
Old 11-23-21, 08:09 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4208 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 2,314 Posts
Back in that day a thin "plastic" grip/tube were often slid over these bars. Origin8 has a couple of versions (ask your LBS to check out JBI, a supplier). There are likely other versions including the decades old long length foam sleeves that beach cruisers have popularized too. Then there's always road bike bar tape... Andy
Old 11-23-21, 09:09 PM
gkamieneski

Thanks, Andrew, but I was thinking more of standard mountain bike flat bar grips. I have used some Scott grips on another AT-3 bar before. I guess I was looking for some regular old mountain bike grips that have a better chance of making the curve without too much difficulty.

Maybe there are some tips for getting the grips around the curves.
Old 11-23-21, 09:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
I might try some ESI grips and some patience and alcohol and compressed air gun. I put some on the "horns" of my Koga Denham bar and they are working great. A little bit of faff to install but not so bad they did have a curve a touch and the bar is wider than standard 22.2 mountain bike but will probably be easier on your bar which has more curve but less width.
Old 11-24-21, 01:28 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Tape them, like God intended.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 11-24-21, 05:36 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Tape them, like God intended.
That right there ^. I used old inner tubes.

Old 11-24-21, 03:09 PM
gkamieneski

Yes, taping the extension parts of the bars makes sense, however on the flats under the brake levers there were always mountain bike grips and that's what is needed to ride the flat bars like the mountain bike it is. I'm just looking for best mountain bike grips the negotiate the curve of the bars.
Old 11-24-21, 03:43 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Yes, taping the extension parts of the bars makes sense, however on the flats under the brake levers there were always mountain bike grips and that's what is needed to ride the flat bars like the mountain bike it is. I'm just looking for best mountain bike grips the negotiate the curve of the bars.
there aren't any. Those bars are cut down drop handlebars and they're meant to be taped along their whole length. If you want to do something different you need to fabricate grips that don't need to approach the flat section through the curve. Tennis racquet grip?

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-24-21 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-24-21, 04:22 PM
gkamieneski

Wrong. These Scott AT-3 bars were sourced on two(2) Schwinn Sierra MTBs. They came with foam grips on the flats were you would expect mountain bike grips to be. Subsequently, on on of the bikes, years ago I replaced the foam grips with some genuine Scott firm rubber mountain bike grips. Now I am looking to do the same for the other bicycle and will be looking for comfortable grips that are open on both ends that I will be able to work on and around the curves to the position where they'll be replacing the OEM foam grips.

If I was able to do this before (recall having to use hairspray), I'm sure I will be able to do this again with the other bicycle. I'm just looking to narrow down my search, looking for comfortable, tactile grips that are also malleable.
Old 11-24-21, 05:13 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by gkamieneski
Wrong. These Scott AT-3 bars were sourced on two(2) Schwinn Sierra MTBs. They came with foam grips on the flats were you would expect mountain bike grips to be. Subsequently, on on of the bikes, years ago I replaced the foam grips with some genuine Scott firm rubber mountain bike grips. Now I am looking to do the same for the other bicycle and will be looking for comfortable grips that are open on both ends that I will be able to work on and around the curves to the position where they'll be replacing the OEM foam grips.

If I was able to do this before (recall having to use hairspray), I'm sure I will be able to do this again with the other bicycle. I'm just looking to narrow down my search, looking for comfortable, tactile grips that are also malleable.
You said you had 'bullhorn' bars. I shouldn't have to second guess that. My answer was correct for 'bullhorn' handlebars. You've got these. So ... buy some grips. Any grips. As long as they aren't 'Lock-on' types which have a hard plastic inner sleeve that will NOT follow the curve of the bent section, ANY grips will work. Emphasis on any because you don't have a whole lot of choice right now. I was looking for some grips for my wifes bike and everything was out of stock. I ended up having to spend way more money than planned and bought some nice grips from Portland Design Works. But they are lock-on, the only kind I go near. I usually don't spend more than $10.00 for a pair of grips and anything you find will do just fine. You don't need recommendations because the days of OEM branded grips are over. It's all crap from China now and it's all perfectly fine.
Old 11-24-21, 06:34 PM
gkamieneski

Thanks. I said Scott AT-3 bars, bullhorn on a MTB That's because some people call the AT-3 a bullhorn and I realize the difference. Thanks for your input. When I visited one LBS there were a whole wall of MTB grips so that's why I was trying to narrow my choice. Yes, they have to be totally "bendable" without a hard inner sleeve and holes on both ends.
Old 11-25-21, 09:10 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I use WTB grips on my Scott AT-2 bars. You will need to cut the end cap off (there is a groove in them to show where to cut) but they slide on easily thorough the bends with a little hairspray.

Old 11-25-21, 10:24 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Here’s how I did it. These aren’t Scott (they are Brahma) but same concept. The grips are ESI Chunky and the end of the bar is covered in Lizard Skin bar end grips.

The ESI grips are a bear to get on but they are comfy. Use lots and lots and lots of White Rain hairspray.

The Lizard Skins go on fairly easily. They aren’t super cushy but they do give a bit of texture to hang onto.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-26-21, 12:30 AM
klasse

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Wrap them in cork tape like you would a road handlebar. Works really well, I had these bars.
Old 11-26-21, 03:29 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
OT: does anybody know what kind of grips they used on the 84 stumpjumper with the bullmoose handlebars? they were these nice cushy foam things with a little rise up on the insides.
Old 11-27-21, 03:34 PM
Leisesturm

Originally Posted by cjenrick
OT: does anybody know what kind of grips they used on the 84 stumpjumper with the bullmoose handlebars? they were these nice cushy foam things with a little rise up on the insides.
Not sure, but there was a brand of grip popular at the time called "Grab On". Fits the description you gave. I don't think they are around anymore which has been kind of like a theme in this thread ...
Old 11-27-21, 11:20 PM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
Grab On sounds familiar, thanks for that!

They might also be Tomaselli foam grips, these from an 83 Stumpjumper.

I had some Bullmoose alloy bars on my bike, they were recalled for cracked welds, mine were cracking but i had a guy re-weld them, fantastic bars and almost non-existant on evilbay. The brake cable stop built into the bars was cool.

Tomaselli Stumpjumper grips, only problem was they would saturate during a rain storm>

oh wow, Grab Ons!

https://grabongrips.com/bicycle-grips

Last edited by cjenrick; 11-27-21 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-28-21, 12:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Not sure, but there was a brand of grip popular at the time called "Grab On". Fits the description you gave. I don't think they are around anymore which has been kind of like a theme in this thread ...
I don’t think they were necessarily “Grab ONs”. It’s hard to tell from ad copy from the time, although Grab Ons would have been available at that time (they have been in business since1973). Grab Ons are certainly still available. I think ESIs and Wolftooth are a bit better…and I’ve used and liked Grab Ons or decades.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-06-22, 07:52 PM
gkamieneski

A bit of time has passed, but I found some Blackburn Ergonomic grips with both ends open that should work. Thanks to RGMN and Cyccomute for their explanations. If they can negotiate the AT2 or similar bar, I should be able to get them all away around the 180 degree bends of the AT3. Just have to remember how I did it with hairspray on the other bike with the AT3 bars.