Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Paint crack or frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Paint crack or frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-21, 12:28 PM
mrwang199432

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Paint crack or frame?

Hey all,

Just noticed a hairline mark, not sure if it's the paint or the frame. There is the main mark then a gap before a second one of similar size. The fram is Alu and the mark is small but it's by the weld line.

imgur c om/gallery/LU7rDB1
Mark
Old 12-04-21, 02:48 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
OP's pic...

I'd just think it a scratch in the paint.

You can and probably should watch it for a while to see if it want's to become anything.

If you get yourself a loop magnifier then you can look at it in 3x or more magnification and maybe tell for sure if its a crack or not.

Last edited by Iride01; 12-04-21 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-04-21, 02:50 PM
mrwang199432

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for posting my pic. A couple of guys have done that for me, much appreciated
Old 12-04-21, 03:19 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
My vote is it's just fine.

To ramp up production it's pretty common to weld a bit hot so they can weld fast with full penetration. I see new bikes come out of the box with marks like this all the time. A crack wouldn't have a smooth film of paint over it.

FWIW I can't tell if your bike is a Giant or a Specialized. (IME: Specialized has a Praxis bottom bracket/crankset, Giant has a Prowheel.) In either case either one of them are the worst offenders with the hurried & hot weld jobs. A crack, if one were to start, would start at the joint of the exposed end of the down tube there where we can see the cables exit, & not in the middle of the contiguous weld area along the shell.

In your case, it is likely someone was a bit light with the brush grinding out all the slag before sending the frame off to paint.

Last edited by base2; 12-04-21 at 05:24 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 12-05-21, 07:21 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 410 Posts
To add to base2's good summary IME you are well ahead in even noticing it, will no doubt keep an eye on it and if it gets to bugging you you could strip those spots, confirm and re-coat easily.
Old 12-05-21, 07:49 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
look at it magnified
Old 12-05-21, 08:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
I don't think I have ever examined a bike closely enough to notice such a thing...And I've not yet died from a horrific frame failure.
Old 12-05-21, 01:04 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
I have broken 3 drop outs, two crank arms, and one bottom bracket to down tube connection and have yet to crash or get injured from it. Keep riding until it fails, if ever it fails.
For the record, Giant is a huge manufacturing company and makes tons of frames with lots of names on them. Specialized is owned by Merida, a manufacturer of frames, and they also build bunches and bunches of frames with many names on them. To single out one or the other as a worst offender is to dismiss all of the name brands their frames wear. What this means is that all of the mass-produced frames have many shared characteristics, and you will unlikely find a perfectly manufactured one.
Old 12-06-21, 05:22 AM
kfried

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have broken 3 drop outs, two crank arms, and one bottom bracket to down tube connection and have yet to crash or get injured from it. Keep riding until it fails, if ever it fails.
For the record, Giant is a huge manufacturing company and makes tons of frames with lots of names on them. Specialized is owned by Merida, a manufacturer of frames, and they also build bunches and bunches of frames with many names on them. To single out one or the other as a worst offender is to dismiss all of the name brands their frames wear. What this means is that all of the mass-produced frames have many shared characteristics, and you will unlikely find a perfectly manufactured one.
Apologies for derailing the thread briefly, but wanted to follow up on the bolded above. I had never thought about this but got curious and did a few quick reads. I see that Merida purchased a minority share (49%) in 2001 but didn't see anything indicating it had increased that share to become a majority owner. If you have any other links/stories greatly appreciated. Always curious to read about the innerworkings of bike companies. Thanks!
Old 12-06-21, 06:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Just adding my voice to the chorus. To me, that looks like a scratch. Not only is it not in a place I'd suspect of being high-stress, it also looks like it has shiny metal at the bottom. A crack wouldn't. Just as a test, have a friend watch it as you push down on that pedal. A crack would widen, a scratch won't.
Old 12-06-21, 06:49 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I don't think I have ever examined a bike closely enough to notice such a thing...And I've not yet died from a horrific frame failure.
Or maybe you did, and this is Hell.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-06-21, 07:26 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Or maybe you did, and this is Hell.
You've lurked the political forum huh?