Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Snake encounter, that was closer than I’d like.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Snake encounter, that was closer than I’d like.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-24, 07:45 AM
Shortwave

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Diverge E5, 2020 Giant Stance 2, Trek Domane 2 Fixed Gear FTW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse
Thanks Indy!

I'd suggest to NOT get that close.
Might as well ask it to "smile"

You can also tell by the scales on their bellies. As if I am going to roll the thing over. Lol
Likes For Shortwave:
Old 04-23-24, 09:05 PM
Italia12

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, that’s scary. Fortunately nothing like that around these parts!
Old 04-25-24, 09:17 AM
kwb377

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 33 Posts
I've had a few close encounters with Cottonmouth recently on mtb rides and have been wondering...

When riding in remote areas that may take a while for EMS to get to you, would it be better to stay in place and wait for them to come to you (and keep your heart rate/circulation down) or pedal back toward a trailhead where they can reach you faster (but raise the heart rate and circulate the venom faster)? I have no medical training other than being able to access whether or not a wound needs a BandAid or a tourniquet, so the answer may be obvious/simple.
Likes For kwb377:
Old 04-29-24, 11:43 AM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 177 Posts
Nailed one yesterday on the parkway path--crossing my lane in a shaded area--didn't see it until a couple feet away. Bump-bump. Gopher or rattler? Could have been either and decided to not circle back and perhaps encounter a ticked off version of the second option. Besides, what does one do for an injured snake? Chest compressions?

Either type I feel bad, critters have a hard enough life as it is without my maiming them.

Big day for turkeys. They were everywhere.
Old 04-29-24, 11:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick_D
Nailed one yesterday on the parkway path--crossing my lane in a shaded area--didn't see it until a couple feet away. Bump-bump. Gopher or rattler? Could have been either and decided to not circle back and perhaps encounter a ticked off version of the second option. Besides, what does one do for an injured snake? Chest compressions?
w/o mouth-to-mouth?
Old 04-30-24, 03:10 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1116 Post(s)
Liked 1,211 Times in 768 Posts
I've only seen three rattle snakes in my life and two of them were last month in the Tucson area. One was slithering in the shade along a curb on the side of the "Loop" near Catalina SP. The other was along the Bajada Loop in the western part of Saguaro NP. Both were trying to avoid people so I was able to watch them from a distance.
Old 05-01-24, 12:12 PM
Disposable

Bikes: Dahon Mariner, Bike Friday tikit, Disc Trucker, Specialized Crosstrail, Raleigh M50, a bunch of get-around-to-thems

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was walking near my parents' home in northwest Arkansas, and as I stepped over a gap in some rocks I heard a sudden Hisss and looked down to see A COBRA! coiled beneath me. What the hell? They don't have cobras in Arkansas! After I landed I examined it closely, from about ten feet out. Near black, short body, very thick, that neck spread out flat and cocked back, just waiting for me to get closer. Nope. I got home and told my folks about it and Dad said "Oh that's a puff adder. They're harmless except for the heart attack." I think they're more formally called hognose snakes, I've never gotten to see another one.
Old 05-01-24, 01:30 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 1,300 Times in 719 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
Snakes are just out eating mice and voles and such, and just want to be left alone.
^^^This.
Like OP, I too live in Tucson AZ, and lately I've been encountering at least one rattlesnake per ride...and these are road rides, not MTB rides! But they want nothing to do with us, and if you just give them a wide berth you'll all coexist without incident or drama.

Originally Posted by big john
Sometimes the fire dep't. would come and get them an relocate them.
A neighbor here has told me that in many parts of the city and surrounding areas, if you call 911 and tell them there's a rattlesnake in your yard the response time will be significantly quicker than if you call 911 and tell them you're having a heart attack.
Old 05-01-24, 02:00 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8310 Post(s)
Liked 9,104 Times in 4,500 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
A neighbor here has told me that in many parts of the city and surrounding areas, if you call 911 and tell them there's a rattlesnake in your yard the response time will be significantly quicker than if you call 911 and tell them you're having a heart attack.
What if you tell them you're having a heart attack because there's a rattlesnake in your yard?
Likes For big john:
Old 05-01-24, 04:05 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 720 Post(s)
Liked 618 Times in 378 Posts
I was on a gig in a Western US state. The client and I were talking about my relocating and coming on board as an employee. Then I noticed that the local TV station broadcast PSAs about avoiding getting attacked by a mountain lion. Nope, not for me. That was scarier than rattlers.
Old 05-01-24, 11:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6227 Post(s)
Liked 4,230 Times in 2,373 Posts
Some places even celebrate them.

Very realistic pits on that viper.

This one has an unnervingly realistic “rattle” at the south end. So realistic that I nearly jumped into the air and didn’t come down.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: