Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gear ratio too low?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gear ratio too low?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-21, 12:39 PM
Edichek

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent, Breezer Uptown 8, Trek 7.5FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gear ratio too low?

Hi, I just recently bought a Giant Transcend EX bike. Second hand, of course, as this model was discontinued a long time ago. The bike is equipped with Nexus 8 gear internal hub. I love this bike as it is super convenient for committing. There is one thing though that is bothering me: I find myself riding mostly in the 7th or 8th gear and even this feels a little too easy sometimes and I wish I could bike faster. With my previous bike which was also an internal hub bike I rode mostly in the 4th or 5th gear and hardly ever advanced to the 8th - unless I was riding down the hill. I thought of replacing the chainring with a larger one - to raise the gear ratio. Alternatively, I could go inside the hub (which I could, but would rather not do) and fiddle with gears there. Has anybody else had this kind of problem? What do you think would be the best course of action?
Old 02-12-21, 12:45 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Just put a smaller cog on the hub.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 02-12-21, 12:52 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
I agree with Bill. But IMO the best way to handle this is to pedal faster. Andy
Old 02-12-21, 01:03 PM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
smaller cog or larger chainring. have you seen the inside of an IGH? I don't think any part of it is designed with modification in mind. maybe if you're an engineer with a powerful working knowledge of how they work and access to a machine shop. otherwise, I wouldn't touch it other than the occasional dip in IGH oil.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-12-21, 03:32 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Internal modifications are not possible. There are different IGHs with different ratios if you really wanted to go that route, but it is very easy to swap to a smaller cog or (possibly) a larger chainring. Or both.

Here is a link to a gear calculator:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

My suggestion is to first enter the equipment you have (number of teeth on chainring, on cog, and your model of internal hub), and set the 'gear units' to 'km/h at 100 rpm' or similar, and see what your current value is.
Then do another one with a range of possible chainring sizes and cog sizes and the same IGH, and try to find a 'km/h at 100rpm' value similar to your existing value, but in a lower gear. I believe 5th gear is 'direct drive' in your hub so theoretically will be the most efficient, so try to find a cog/chainring combination that in 5th gear has the same value of your current setup in 7th gear. Then you will have three 'overdrive' gears for downhill or tailwinds or drafting off greyhound busses, and 4 'reduction' gears, for climbing or when you want to spin your legs a little faster.
NB. entering multiple chainrings and cogs with an IGH will give you a large chart of numbers, so don't be intimidated if that's not your cup of tea - just look for the calculated value close to your existing setup.
Old 02-12-21, 03:47 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
Internal modifications are not possible. There are different IGHs with different ratios if you really wanted to go that route, but it is very easy to swap to a smaller cog or (possibly) a larger chainring. Or both.

Here is a link to a gear calculator:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html

My suggestion is to first enter the equipment you have (number of teeth on chainring, on cog, and your model of internal hub), and set the 'gear units' to 'km/h at 100 rpm' or similar, and see what your current value is.
Then do another one with a range of possible chainring sizes and cog sizes and the same IGH, and try to find a 'km/h at 100rpm' value similar to your existing value, but in a lower gear. I believe 5th gear is 'direct drive' in your hub so theoretically will be the most efficient, so try to find a cog/chainring combination that in 5th gear has the same value of your current setup in 7th gear. Then you will have three 'overdrive' gears for downhill or tailwinds or drafting off greyhound busses, and 4 'reduction' gears, for climbing or when you want to spin your legs a little faster.
NB. entering multiple chainrings and cogs with an IGH will give you a large chart of numbers, so don't be intimidated if that's not your cup of tea - just look for the calculated value close to your existing setup.
Or use this calculator which allows you to do a side-by-side comparison of two drivetrains: https://www.kstoerz.com/gearcalc/compare/
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 02-12-21, 03:48 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts

I did a couple for you because my life is so full and exciting. I have no idea what size the gears are on your bike so I guessed just to make an example.
Also, cogs for Shimano IGHs are not available in every size, nor are chainrings, so it's best to figure out what you can actually get before you are married to any one particular setup.

As you can see in the first chart, if you have a 44-22, 7th gear gives you approx. 36.7km/h
In the second chart, there are values similar to that in 5th gear. I circled 50-18 as an example.

If the chainring on your crank is not replaceable (common) and you stuck with the original chainring (in my example, 44 teeth), you would lose a bit of speed in 5th gear, but in 6th gear you have options a bit higher and a bit lower than the original setup.

Hope this helps!
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 02-13-21, 09:19 PM
Edichek

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent, Breezer Uptown 8, Trek 7.5FX

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks to all who responded. I'll start with a slightly larger chainring and see where this would take me.
Old 02-13-21, 09:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Originally Posted by Edichek
Thanks to all who responded. I'll start with a slightly larger chainring and see where this would take me.
You'll likely need a longer chain, so that's an extra expense.
How much cheaper is a larger ring vs this $6 cog? No new chain needed.
See post #2
https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...ls.php?id=4171

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-13-21 at 09:37 PM.
Old 02-14-21, 04:48 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Edichek
Im betting it needs to be more than "slightly" larger ig you can pedal 7th and 8th all the time. I own a bike with the same hub, 42/19 cogs and and 700x35 tyres. Seems reasonable.