Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

source for replacement o-rings shimano hydraulic brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-21, 10:46 AM
RickJay

Bikes: eBikeling converted REI Co-Op CTY 2.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I know there will be a day when one of the o-rings from the brake levers is going to 'disappear", does anyone have a source for buying replacements? I know they have to be comparable with the fluids they come in contact with. So any o ring will not do.
Old 02-23-21, 10:48 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Just a wild thought here but have your bike shop order them from Shimano? I know it's crazy to go directly to the source but you don't need to overthink this.
Old 02-23-21, 10:57 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
any hydraulic store worth it's toilet paper should have that o-ring.
Old 02-23-21, 10:57 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Good luck! Shimano does NOT make these parts available. I asked several places and had a friend at a bike shop with a Shimano account check for me. the lever assemblies are "not serviceable." if the lever wears out, they expect you to throw away the whole assembly. of course, if you want to rebuild the master cylinder with your own supplied o-rings, you can do that. the worst that can happen is the o-rings start to degrade with time, let air in, and contaminate the fluid with black goo faster than normal.

the o-rings on my six year-old SLX brakes started to let air in the system last fall. I was able to take them out and clean the master cylinder. it was no better after that. I ended u giving the brakes to a local rider who was willing to try it and I replaced them with some Tektro Slate somethings.
Old 02-23-21, 10:59 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just a wild thought here but have your bike shop order them from Shimano? I know it's crazy to go directly to the source but you don't need to overthink this.
have you seen parts to rebuild Shimano levers? I looked everywhere and I was told specifically that Shimano does not sell these parts individually.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 02-23-21, 11:45 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
Good luck! Shimano does NOT make these parts available. I asked several places and had a friend at a bike shop with a Shimano account check for me. the lever assemblies are "not serviceable." if the lever wears out, they expect you to throw away the whole assembly. of course, if you want to rebuild the master cylinder with your own supplied o-rings, you can do that. the worst that can happen is the o-rings start to degrade with time, let air in, and contaminate the fluid with black goo faster than normal.

the o-rings on my six year-old SLX brakes started to let air in the system last fall. I was able to take them out and clean the master cylinder. it was no better after that. I ended u giving the brakes to a local rider who was willing to try it and I replaced them with some Tektro Slate somethings.
Damn, you sound like you're on some kind of a mission. The o-rings are available, they are part # Y0C698030 Bleed screw and O-ring. You can even buy them from Amazon. Sounds like your bike shop friend doesn't really have a clue.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-23-21, 11:48 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Damn, you sound like you're on some kind of mission. The o-rings are available, they are part # Y0C698030 Bleed screw and O-ring. You can even buy them from Amazon. Sounds like your bike shop friend doesn't really have a clue.
that's for the bleed port. i'm talking about the master cylinder seals. I may have jumped the gun and assumed that's what OP is looking for, but there was no mention of what specific o-ring is being sought.
Old 02-23-21, 11:49 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by mack_turtle
that's for the bleed port. i'm talking about the master cylinder seals.
Well, the OP was talking about bleed port o-rings I think. That's the only one you'd ever lose.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 02-23-21, 11:52 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

yeah, that makes more sense. like many questions on BF, the OP was not specific, leading to confusion. when he said "disappear" I thought he meant they would no longer be available. I jumped ahead to vent my frustration with the lack of replacement parts from Shimano other than basic things that tend to get lost. master cylinder seals "disappear" from friction but dropping one on the floor is unlikely! a Shimano brake system could have 5 or 6 different o-rings, gaskets, and seals in it.
Old 02-23-21, 11:54 AM
RickJay

Bikes: eBikeling converted REI Co-Op CTY 2.1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Sorry about that, thats the one Im thinking of. Rebuilding is for another day.
Likes For RickJay: