Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Build Recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-21, 03:11 AM
Krix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Guys. Im planning to build a gravel bike and I already have the following:
  • Flared Drop bar
  • Tiagra STI R7000
  • 10S Deore M4100 Sprocket 11-42
  • 700c Rims
  • Marin Alps Series Frame

What other components should I buy so that it wouldnt have any problem if I put it in all to my frame?

Im stuck with what RD and Hub should I buy so that it will be compatible to what I already have.

Thank you for your answers!

Last edited by Krix; 05-08-21 at 03:15 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 05:02 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Lets assume that the Tiagra STI R7000 is actually a Tiagra 4700 rear derailleur. This is a ten speed model and cannot handle the 40 tooth cassette that you are proposing unless you purchase the Wolf Tooth Road Link. The 4700 can handle 34 teeth, 36 in a pinch.

If you decide to go with the 40 tooth then that would mean a single ring up front. Here you will need to wide narrow chainring to help minimize chain drop since your rear derailleur is not clutched. If you ditch the cassette and buy a 34 tooth cassette then you could think about using double up front. You will then need the new cassette, shifters and double chainring.

BTW you are never stuck with something. If it isn't going to work sell it and buy something used that will. It is a sellers market right now.

Others with more knowledge than I can figure out a system that would work for you.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 05-08-21, 05:33 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Lets assume that the Tiagra STI R7000 is actually a Tiagra 4700 rear derailleur. This is a ten speed model and cannot handle the 40 tooth cassette that you are proposing unless you purchase the Wolf Tooth Road Link. The 4700 can handle 34 teeth, 36 in a pinch.

If you decide to go with the 40 tooth then that would mean a single ring up front. Here you will need to wide narrow chainring to help minimize chain drop since your rear derailleur is not clutched. If you ditch the cassette and buy a 34 tooth cassette then you could think about using double up front. You will then need the new cassette, shifters and double chainring.

BTW you are never stuck with something. If it isn't going to work sell it and buy something used that will. It is a sellers market right now.

Others with more knowledge than I can figure out a system that would work for you.
Totally agree, especially with the part about being "stuck." I get the impression Krix that you have some stuff, and you want to build a gravel bike, and you are not really considering the compromises you may have to make so that less than optimal parts can be used...I say this as a someone who has built a multitude of bikes in the last 5 years, both for me and for others. The number one thing I'd tell you, building a bike is immensely satisfying (if you are into tangible accomplishment), but in doing so, settling for cheap or budget components is a recipe for disappointment down the road.

STI R7000? That's 105. not Tiagra. STI are shift lever, is that what you're describing? If so, are they the "rim brake" (meaning cable pull) model or the R7020 hydraulic brake levers?

What 700c rims? Are they just rims or the whole wheel (wheel set)? What's the internal dimension?

Do you have a Rear Derailleur? It doesn't seem like it from the parts list you offered.

Last edited by Badger6; 05-08-21 at 10:46 PM.
Likes For Badger6: