Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tennis Elbow

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-23, 05:09 PM
Jklotz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Tennis Elbow

So I've been off the bike for almost a week now. Got bad tennis elbow. Doc said I need to give it time to heal. Apparently, pulling the brake lever is the exact angle that really enflames it. Anybody else have to deal with this? Any tips to get it to heal and get back on the bike?
Old 08-30-23, 07:41 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

I’ve also had it, although not from riding and did have any issues riding through it.

Using one of those compression bands below the elbow allowed me to still do the activities that usually aggravated it and otherwise would have been painful.
Likes For BkSaGo:
Old 08-30-23, 07:54 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Tennis elbow, or rather lateral epicondylitis, is an inflamation of the extensor tendons of the wrist and hand, the extensor carpi radialis brevis . If you have inflammed these tisses during use, you must rest them for recovery. Some lateral epicondyle bands can help and take tension off these tissues. You can also take the anti-inflammatories of your choice consistently to reduce symptoms. Of course, reduce the activity that caused this issue is also key. This can take a while to resolve.Elevation has nothing to do with this. It's not a swollen ankle.

Last edited by Jicafold; 08-31-23 at 06:08 AM.
Likes For Jicafold:
Old 08-31-23, 12:10 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,488 Times in 3,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklotz
Anybody else have to deal with this?
Yes, in college. It can be very painful, especially if you have to play through it. Rest is key.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 08-31-23, 04:16 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Yep, dealing with it for years, yet I still ride, turn wrenches, etc. Just one of the aches of life.
Old 08-31-23, 07:12 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Dont brake
Seriously most of us can learn to ride and turn at higher speeds.
Likes For joesch:
Old 08-31-23, 07:19 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 374 Posts
Originally Posted by Jicafold
Tennis elbow, or rather lateral epicondylitis, is an inflamation of the extensor tendons of the wrist and hand, the extensor carpi radialis brevis . If you have inflammed these tisses during use, you must rest them for recovery. Some lateral epicondyle bands can help and take tension off these tissues. You can also take the anti-inflammatories of your choice consistently to reduce symptoms. Of course, reduce the activity that caused this issue is also key. This can take a while to resolve.Elevation has nothing to do with this. It's not a swollen ankle.
This ^.

Played over 20 years of tennnis, including competively and college and never had an elbow injury (or any other) from it. Fast forward a couple of decades and I got it shaking a thermometer to get a wet bulb temp, GO FIGURE! I aggravated it by banging it into a couple of things, short story, it took almost 8 months of avoiding the motion(s) that aggravate it, and rest (and not opening jars) sucks getting old!...
Old 08-31-23, 07:47 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
My "tennis elbow" times come when I unconsciously lock my elbows while riding. My fix is to change my body angle (lean over more), vary grip and torso position every 5-10 minutes, and (not surprisingly) don't lock my elbows.

BTW, it's possible to bend your elbows and lean forward even on straight bars -- it just takes a little bit more thought.
Old 08-31-23, 07:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,573 Times in 7,336 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Dont brake
Seriously most of us can learn to ride and turn at higher speeds.
Thanks for the morning laugh.

But now for the tough question: How does a bike steer? Maybe someone should start a thread asking that.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-31-23, 07:55 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 781 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks for the morning laugh.

But now for the tough question: How does a bike steer? Maybe someone should start a thread asking that.
Not a trick question as a bike can steer without a rider and ofcourse requires counter turning Also a bike has no need for brakes or pedals as it slows down or speeds up on depending on the terrain.
Old 08-31-23, 08:18 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Brake mechanic I worked with got it in both arms. He had to take 6 months off work and the PT put him on a weight lifting regimen of moderate weight and reps.
I think tendonitis can be addressed with warming up slowly and allowing the muscles to get "loose" before doing whatever is aggravating the tendons.
Old 08-31-23, 12:07 PM
Jklotz

Doc wants 2 weeks of rest and anti-inflammatories. Crap, was just getting to the point where I was back in the fast group. Injuries suck.
Old 08-31-23, 12:54 PM
David_Harris

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 149 Posts
I got it playing tennis (odd, right?)

Rest, ice, heat, stretches, strengthening exercises. Yes, heat: flush the tissues. They are low-blood content and flow tissues, so they need a little help. Don’t cook them, but take a hot bath and soak the elbow. Follow up with ice.
Old 08-31-23, 01:28 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8286 Post(s)
Liked 9,055 Times in 4,481 Posts
Doc wants 2 weeks of rest and anti-inflammatories. Crap, was just getting to the point where I was back in the fast group. Injuries suck.
Do you have a trainer? You could sit up and spin the trainer without using your arms.
Old 08-31-23, 01:42 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Every one/case is different so YMMV but, I had a really bad case from repetitive motions at work. I did rest, bands, heat, physical therapy not much luck (for months). Switched physical therapists, in the first five minutes he said,"The problem is your shoulder is weak, so your elbow is doing all the work" Now instead of focusing on treating the elbow, we focused on strengthening the shoulder, elbow problem went away quickly. Like many things, better results treating the cause, than the symptom. Tough part is always finding the right person to identify the cause?
Old 08-31-23, 02:09 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3956 Post(s)
Liked 7,304 Times in 2,949 Posts
Having had elbow tendonitis many times, I'd say a two week recovery with OTC anti-inflammatories is pretty optimistic. If you want faster results, try Voltaren, iontophoresis, PRP, or a cortisone injection.
Old 08-31-23, 02:22 PM
Jklotz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Having had elbow tendonitis many times, I'd say a two week recovery with OTC anti-inflammatories is pretty optimistic. If you want faster results, try Voltaren, iontophoresis, PRP, or a cortisone injection.
Yea, it's 2 weeks with OTC anti-inflammatories, then we go to a steroid injection. They prefer to use the injection sparingly if possible.
Old 08-31-23, 02:28 PM
tomato coupe

Yea, it's 2 weeks with OTC anti-inflammatories, then we go to a steroid injection. They prefer to use the injection sparingly if possible.
You don't want to do cortisone injections in the same joint on a regular basis, but if you haven't had one recently, I'd jump straight to it.
Old 09-04-23, 07:23 AM
Jicafold

You don't want to do cortisone injections in the same joint on a regular basis, but if you haven't had one recently, I'd jump straight to it.
The injection doesn't go into the joint. It goes outside the joint where the muscle anchors at the lateral epicondyle. Still, there are always side effects such as atrophy and depigmentation.
Old 09-04-23, 09:06 AM
tomato coupe

The injection doesn't go into the joint. It goes outside the joint where the muscle anchors at the lateral epicondyle. Still, there are always side effects such as atrophy and depigmentation.
"In the same joint" means left elbow, right elbow, left knee, etc.
Old 09-04-23, 09:53 AM
Jklotz

As an update, I got turned onto Voltaren by a buddy. It seems to be working really well so far. It's making living with this much easier. I actually was able to ride Sat and Sun using the arm band.
Old 09-04-23, 11:32 AM
Jicafold

"In the same joint" means left elbow, right elbow, left knee, etc.
In orthopedic surgery, where I work, in the joint means, exactly that. Directly into the joint itself. The condition of the OP, lateral epicondylitis, is not in the joint. It is extra-articular. Saying "into the joint" in a lay forum is misleading. What you are referring to is laterality.
Old 09-04-23, 11:36 AM
Jicafold

As an update, I got turned onto Voltaren by a buddy. It seems to be working really well so far. It's making living with this much easier. I actually was able to ride Sat and Sun using the arm band.
Excellent. Good for you. Voltaren is a bit more potent than ibuprofen or naproxen. It may have more side effects though....headaches, diarrhea, dizzyness...
Old 09-04-23, 11:50 AM
tomato coupe

In orthopedic surgery, where I work, in the joint means, exactly that. Directly into the joint itself. The condition of the OP, lateral epicondylitis, is not in the joint. It is extra-articular. Saying "into the joint" in a lay forum is misleading. What you are referring to is laterality.
I think the other readers of this thread understood what was meant by "in the same joint."
Old 09-04-23, 12:03 PM
tomato coupe

You're using the gel, presumably?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.