Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Which foot do you unclip when stopping?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: When stopping, which foot do you unclip?
Right
44.04%
Left
42.20%
No preference / whatever suits the situation
13.76%
I don't, I do track stands
0%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Which foot do you unclip when stopping?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-23, 09:55 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
For voluntary stops, left. It's a habit built from when I was a ute, riding with clips and straps. It probably has mostly to do with being right-side dominant.

For forced stops (MTB, most often), I'll put down whichever foot needs to get down for the situation.
Old 09-05-23, 10:04 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,648 Times in 2,924 Posts
Originally Posted by daihard
I always unclip my left foot, too. That's most natural for me as I always mount / dismount from the left. I cliip my right footin as I get on the bike, and it usually stays clipped until I dismonut.
Never seen a quote from a Deputy Director of the Seattle Dept of Transportation before. You must work for the city or with the city.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-05-23, 10:33 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Always left, never figured out why it felt so strange to unclip right first until I read some of the responses here that rang true for me too.

I find it more difficult to unclip my right foot. When I first started with clipless, I couldn't do the outward twist with any force. I can now, but it's still nowhere near as easy as with my left foot.

I also always mount a bike from the left side and keep my right foot clipped in until dismounting.

The shoulders where I ride are often full of grit, so that plus the frequent presence of storm drains means there's hardly a reason to want to get closer to a curb when stopped at any intersection.
Old 09-05-23, 12:05 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
I tend to somewhat trackstand for short lights and 4 way stops. If I have to put a foot down it is my left. However with moving dismounts like for CX I unclip right and step off left.
Old 09-05-23, 01:11 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Nearly always right. I ride left foot forward while snowboarding, and my left foot is in front when coasting with level pedals. I steer with my left hand and get bottles/snacks/bandanna/etc. with my right.

It just feels more natural to do macro things with my left foot/hand (like pushing down to start riding, steering, and the like) and micro things (like unclipping/clipping back in, fumbling in jersey pocket, etc.) with my right.
Old 09-05-23, 01:21 PM
Roger Ramjet

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crockett 5, Crockett 7, 2016 Specialized Crux E5 Sport, 2016 Salsa Warbird 105, 2017 Trek Boone 5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2019 Trek Checkpoint SL5, 2021 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2023 Trek Checkpoint SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
When I converted to clipless many moons ago, I just learned that when I get on the bike, to clip in on the right while doing that (right crankarm high), start pedaling with the right foot to get going, and then clip in the left. I'm right dominant, and I presume that is why. It's always worked for me, and I've never rethought it.

I just realized I didn't answer the question!!!! Because of how I clip in, I always reverse the order when I stop......unclip the left foot, stop, and use my left foot for support until I take off again.

Last edited by Roger Ramjet; 09-05-23 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Answering the original question!!!!!
Likes For Roger Ramjet:
Old 09-05-23, 03:49 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
I have been riding clipless for only less than a year. On the road, I unclip my right foot first so I can "land" (is this the correct terminology?) on my more dexterous leg. I lift my bum off the saddle when I am stopped. I keep my left foot clipped in and at bottom dead center until I need to launch again. I am not racing so launching on my left leg -- to the extent (I don't know if) it is weaker -- is not a big deal. On the MUPs I occasionally unclip my left foot first just for practice, but I am definitely more comfortable unclipping my right foot first. I find it quite difficult to unclip either foot at or near top dead center.

Does unclipping on one side increase the risk of falling over (a) on the same side or (b) on the opposite side?

Last edited by SoSmellyAir; 09-05-23 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-05-23, 06:49 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,714 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I lift my bum off the saddle when I am stopped. I keep my left foot clipped in and at bottom dead center until I need to launch again. I am not racing so launching on my left leg -- to the extent (I don't know if) it is weaker -- is not a big deal.
I do race sometimes, but even when I’m not, I stay seated, left foot down, right pedal at 2 o’clock, and I get the holeshot *every time,* including against cars. I like it; it’s my own little micro-aggressive display of alpha-male dominance. I can only imagine the moms on cargo bike kid haulers are *very* impressed and the dads bolt upright on Dutchies are seething mad under their hi-vis gilets. YMMV.
Old 09-05-23, 07:29 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Unclip the right foot 99.8% of the time. Always have, even back in toe clip days. If I am unclipping my left foot first, something has gone sideways and I'm trying keep from falling over.

When I was a kid on my flat-pedaled three speed, I would mount the bike by putting my left foot on the pedal, push with the right foot, swing the right foot over the seat and start pedaling. You know, kind of like getting on horse. Getting off was the reverse, so the right foot came off the pedal first. That is the only semi-logical reason for my preference, and I can't say with any degree of certainty that is the reason, In any event, unclipping the right foot first is a firmly ingrained auto-response.
Old 09-05-23, 09:37 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
Always left foot first. Not sure why. Maybe because when I started riding bikes again back int he 90's I was living in Thailand and mostly riding mountain bikes. In Thailand you drive on the left so taking the left foot off of the pedal is nearer to the curb, although out in the sticks there are no curbs.
Old 09-06-23, 12:40 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’m all sorts of messed up. I unclip with the left first. I actually have a hard time going right first. When it comes to hands, while I write and throw a ball with my right, I do almost everything else with my left. Tie my shoes, brush my hair and teeth, throw a Frisbee, use a knife, wipe my tush, play guitar, etc. I am also a goofy foot boarder.
TMI there.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-06-23, 09:32 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Quoted: 1401 Post(s)
Liked 1,886 Times in 1,085 Posts
what side of the bike do you mount from ?

which leg do you swing up in the air and over the bike to mount on ?

if you mount from the left - swing right leg up and then over the bike - your left leg is down

therefore not a coincidence you probably / typically un-clip left foot first and put left foot down

if you are a motorcycle rider even better chance you mount from the left ... place left foot down first ... right foot stays on the brake side peg / foot rest ... right foot / leg can kick the kick starter with left leg down ... etc

(unless you ride a bultaco or maico or another vintage bike with kick start on left and / or shifter on right ... we won’t go there )

Last edited by t2p; 09-06-23 at 09:42 PM.
Likes For t2p:
Old 09-06-23, 10:00 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Never seen a quote from a Deputy Director of the Seattle Dept of Transportation before. You must work for the city or with the city.
You guessed it. I volunteer for Seattle Neighborhood Greenways, which works with the city as part of our safety advocacy work.

Dawn said it at one of the town hall meetings where SDOT unveiled a comprehensive bike path plan. It's been nearly 10 years, but it still inspires me.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 09-06-23, 10:48 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,472 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
what side of the bike do you mount from ?

which leg do you swing up in the air and over the bike to mount on ?

if you mount from the left - swing right leg up and then over the bike - your left leg is down

therefore not a coincidence you probably / typically un-clip left foot first and put left foot down
This describes the way I mount the bike but I unclip and land on my right foot. There must be something off with me.
Old 09-06-23, 11:11 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Always right. When I was young where I lived, every boy got on a bike by placing left foot on pedal, pushing off with the right, then while coasting throw the right over the wheel. Opposite when getting off. In fact typically would coast quite a ways while standing on the left leg and right already over the wheel. Of course with hand, not coaster brakes.

The habit was quite ingrained when coming to a stop of raising the right pedal and with right hand loosening the strap. Took a while to get out of the habit of reaching down when I went clipless. Your right hand was already near since you probably had to shift the d/t friction shifter anyway. And with flat/platform pedals my problem is I'm so used to raising the left pedal with my foot to push off I can hardly get started if I can't just raise the pedal.

scott s.
Old 09-07-23, 01:56 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Left, as a rule. I imagine it's because a lot of my cycling has been commuting so I tend to favour the side with the pavement (sidewalk).

I've recently had Achilles tendon problems which has revealed (not for the first time) that the muscles around the calf area in my left leg are weaker than those in my right. When thinking about this, I thought it was likely down to always pushing away from a standstill with my right leg, so now I try to change it around a bit. It's such an ingrained habit, though, that I'm mostly not aware of it.
Old 09-07-23, 05:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,580 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
TMI there.
Laugh, but try it with the hand you are not used to. I had to have my left thumb operated on a few years ago, Switching hands was not easy for me.

When I rode across the country BITD, we spent a night in a MN campground where, for some reason, the men's stall walls were way off center, forcing you to "go right."
Old 09-07-23, 06:04 AM
Ramshackle

Bikes: Litespeed Adecco, Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
I'm left-handed but right side dominant so I uncip from the right side.
Old 09-07-23, 10:43 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
It’s been seven years since I used foot retention consistently, but pretty much the right foot would clip in last and out first.

I think it’s a habit dating back to using toe clips starting in the 70s. I’m right handed and probably it seemed natural to loosen and hitch the right pedal strap with my right hand.

Just like I generally reach down for my water bottle with my right hand and shifted mainly with my right hand when I had DT shifters.

Otto
Old 09-07-23, 08:41 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Always right. When I was young where I lived, every boy got on a bike by placing left foot on pedal, pushing off with the right, then while coasting throw the right over the wheel. Opposite when getting off. In fact typically would coast quite a ways while standing on the left leg and right already over the wheel. Of course with hand, not coaster brakes.

The habit was quite ingrained when coming to a stop of raising the right pedal and with right hand loosening the strap. Took a while to get out of the habit of reaching down when I went clipless. Your right hand was already near since you probably had to shift the d/t friction shifter anyway. And with flat/platform pedals my problem is I'm so used to raising the left pedal with my foot to push off I can hardly get started if I can't just raise the pedal.

scott s.
That's how a lot of kids get on nad off the bikes in Japan! In fact, my wife still does that.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 09-08-23, 04:21 PM
BkSaGo

Bikes: CAAD9 5

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Right, due to an old leg injury that limits the reach and flexibility of my left ankle/foot.
Old 09-14-23, 05:31 AM
kinnessa60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
with my dominant foot, the one I feel most comfortable putting down when I coming to a stop.
Likes For kinnessa60:
Old 09-14-23, 06:57 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Almost always right. I like to rest my foot on the curb when I stop most of the time, so putting the right foot down allows me to do so.
Old 09-14-23, 07:03 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I always unclip my right foot. I figure if I'm going to fall over for some reason, it may as well be on the non-drive side.
whichever I plan to put down. saw someone do this ahead of me one day & thought genius! they unclipped a foot, then let that foot dangle, then when they stopped, that's the foot that went down