Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mounting Bottle brackets

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mounting Bottle brackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-23, 03:45 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by BertoBerg
I'm scared for this bottle cage.
I hadn’t noticed the crack in the weld. I’ll replace the cage. I prefer the steel cage version anyway. Thanks!
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-16-23, 03:56 PM
BertoBerg 

Bikes: '72 Peugeot PX-10, '09 A. Homer Hilsen, '78 Masi Gran Crit, '79 Echelon Spectra

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I hadn’t noticed the crack in the weld. I’ll replace the cage. I prefer the steel cage version anyway. Thanks!
No problem! I just didn't want it to break and cause damage to you or that lovely bike.
Likes For BertoBerg:
Old 11-17-23, 01:01 PM
fvernon

Bikes: BMC Road V2; '17 Marin Pine Mountain 2; '91 Marinoni Special TSX; '89 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp; '98 Salsa La Cruz; '79 Centurion Pro Tour; '77 Romic custom sport-tour; '77 Centurion Semi-Pro; '23 Kona Sutra LTD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I use the King Cage bottle mounts on a few bikes--they're great and less expensive than the Tanaka version
Old 11-19-23, 03:29 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
I got a pair of these on an old Stella I bought earlier this year (yes, the one that became the Smella).

I have no idea what they are. I tried them out on my Raleigh Professional tonight. They don't hold the cage as tight as they should. They've probably work well with more of a shim.

Old 11-19-23, 10:45 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I got a pair of these on an old Stella I bought earlier this year (yes, the one that became the Smella).

I have no idea what they are. I tried them out on my Raleigh Professional tonight. They don't hold the cage as tight as they should. They've probably work well with more of a shim.
They go on cages like this one. I can’t seem to recall the proper name of the cage but some are labeled “Schwinn Sprint”. In my opinion they look beautiful but they’re not great cages or clamps. The springs are too tiny and fragile and the clamps need a cloth bar tape shim. I only have one clamp so I just use this cage as a prop.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 11-19-23, 12:45 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
Have you considered handle bar mounts? I actually have much better pics but can't find them.

This is a Minoura cage mount that use two U bolts to attach to the bars and I put a double bottle attachment I got of the amazon. For some reason my '90 Bianchi Proto only came with one set. For a few years I a set of nylong Zefla band type mount but it left marks on the paint. This set up allows to carry two bottle or if I want a bottle and this GU can with my spare tube and levers

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-20-23, 10:49 AM
daywood 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 97 Posts
5mm rivnuts. Purist might not like drilling their frames to install them, but you can install them anywhere as bottle bosses and rack mounting points. Installing them doesn’t damage surrounding paint (other than the hole you drill for them). Metal clamps can also do a number on the paint, but I have to admit they maintain a vintage look as a vintage solution to a vintage problem.

The only place I haven’t been able to use rivnuts is on the skinny top tubes on my mixte tandem. In that case I used the bottle cage mounts that came with cheapo Bell water bottle/cage combos sold in department stores. They have a Velcro strap mounting system (like the ones used to hold mini pumps in their bottle-cage mounts) that I can wrap around both of the top tubes. The bottle cage mounting holes are standard so you can attach your favorite cage to them.