Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1977 Raleigh Professional MKV: braze-on cable guides on TT, really?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-23, 05:03 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Bikes: Italian, French, British

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts

Is it possible that a Worksop 1977 Raleigh Professional MKV has brazed-on cable guides on the TT? Never seen this before, until today with this one found on a local ad. Any idea?

Old 12-04-23, 06:09 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
My 1978 Raleigh Professional has them .
Old 12-04-23, 06:17 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
My 1978 Raleigh Professional has them .
I just reviewed your old thread regarding your 78 Pro. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m not seeing brazed on cable guides along the top tube.
Old 12-04-23, 06:19 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

The cable guides were likely added whenever the bike was repainted to red. It does otherwise appear to be a Professional MKV. Nice frame!
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 12-04-23, 06:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 2,293 Times in 1,281 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcampeau
I just reviewed your old thread regarding your 78 Pro. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m not seeing brazed on cable guides along the top tube.
you are correct I misread the post , talking about on top of the BB shell. Sorry for the confusion.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 12-05-23, 02:18 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

The cable guides were likely added whenever the bike was repainted to red. It does otherwise appear to be a Professional MKV. Nice frame!
Thanks!
Do you mean clients over the years bringing the frame back at Raleigh for repainting and having the cable guides added?
Otherwise, how likely was it to have a “customization” done at/by Raleigh at production time?
i admit being clueless on this…
Old 12-05-23, 06:29 AM
Pcampeau

Originally Posted by JackJohn
Thanks!
Do you mean clients over the years bringing the frame back at Raleigh for repainting and having the cable guides added?
Otherwise, how likely was it to have a “customization” done at/by Raleigh at production time?
i admit being clueless on this…
As far as I know Carlton built Raleigh Pros were never customized. Customized frames were from the SBDU, but you say you’re asking about a Worksop frame? These guides would likely have been added later by some other builder or frame repair person.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 12-05-23 at 06:50 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 12-05-23, 07:33 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

As far as I know Carlton built Raleigh Pros were never customized. Customized frames were from the SBDU, but you say you’re asking about a Worksop frame? These guides would likely have been added later by some other builder or frame repair person.
ok, clear, txs!
Old 12-05-23, 07:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
The frame number would answer much.

this does not look like a factory refinish, I have not read of that either.
Small firms like Masi in Carlsbad did, and Schwinn in Chicago did.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-05-23, 07:48 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by repechage
The frame number would answer much.

this does not look like a factory refinish, I have not read of that either.
Small firms like Masi in Carlsbad did, and Schwinn in Chicago did.
WM700xxxx
the frame is in France…
Likes For JackJohn:
Old 12-05-23, 09:00 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
1987?
Old 12-05-23, 10:11 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
Back the 70's and 80's I added, subtracted braze-ons all the time when a frame came in for a new paint job. It was standard procedure not to expect a good paint job to last a long time. They were tools to be used and refreshed when necessary. Like several others have already mentioned, they were likely added when the frame was repainted. If they were racers, they had their frames repainted after a few years for sure.

One more thing, I've visited the SBDU works in Ilkston in 1977. What I recall was about 5 guys making the frames - sorta similar to how Bill Davidson or Serotta made frames but instead of one guy doing it all, they had a team approach. One guy making forks, another brazing the down tube/head tube and a 3rd doing frame alignment (yes frame alignment on 753 frames). I have witnessed that personally and have pictures to prove it.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 12-05-23, 11:05 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Back the 70's and 80's I added, subtracted braze-ons all the time when a frame came in for a new paint job. It was standard procedure not to expect a good paint job to last a long time. They were tools to be used and refreshed when necessary. Like several others have already mentioned, they were likely added when the frame was repainted. If they were racers, they had their frames repainted after a few years for sure.

One more thing, I've visited the SBDU works in Ilkston in 1977. What I recall was about 5 guys making the frames - sorta similar to how Bill Davidson or Serotta made frames but instead of one guy doing it all, they had a team approach. One guy making forks, another brazing the down tube/head tube and a 3rd doing frame alignment (yes frame alignment on 753 frames). I have witnessed that personally and have pictures to prove it.
thanks Doug!!! your point confirms the most likely is that the frame has been repainted and braze-ons added then.

On one hand it’s a shame the frame looses its originality, but on the other that could be part of its life story over the years. Of course the story would be nicer if it belonged to a racer, but not sure if there’s a way to know .
Btw, interesting witnessing on Ilkeston production, hopefully we’ll se your pictures someday
Old 12-05-23, 11:34 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
[QUOTE=JackJohn;23091456]
On one hand it’s a shame the frame looses its originality.../QUOTE]

What's the shame? In all likelihood the "new" paint job was far superior to what the Raleigh factory sprayed it with.
Also, if it were, say a classic mink blue and silver paint job, one of thousands just like it, how original is that? Painting it a different color gives it originality*

But what would you expect the Bike Butcher of Portland to say?

*the quality of being novel or unusual.
Old 12-05-23, 12:01 PM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
What about this internal TT routing added to my [previously owned] '78?
72 Frejus (for sale), Holdsworth Record (for sale), special CNC & Gitane Interclub / 74 Italvega NR (for sale) / c80 French / 82 Raleigh Intl MkII f&f (for sale)/ 83 Trek 620 (for sale)/ 84 Bruce Gordon Chinook (for sale)/ 85 Ron Cooper / 87 Centurion IM MV (for sale) / 03 Casati Dardo / 08 BF IRO / 09 Dogma FPX / 09 Giant TCX0 / 10 Vassago Fisticuff

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 12-05-23, 12:21 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by gugie

What's the shame? In all likelihood the "new" paint job was far superior to what the Raleigh factory sprayed it with.
Also, if it were, say a classic mink blue and silver paint job, one of thousands just like it, how original is that? Painting it a different color gives it originality*

But what would you expect the Bike Butcher of Portland to say?

*the quality of being novel or unusual.
ok, found guilty of not mastering all nuances of the English language, should have said “original” as in “referring to something that existed at the beginning of a process or activity, or the characteristics that something had when it began or was made”.
Old 12-05-23, 12:26 PM
romperrr 
Pedal to the medal

Bikes: 1991 Team Miyata Track, 1992 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 19?? Schwinn High Serra, 1982 Trek 614, 198X Raleigh Alyeska

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 131 Posts
I'm not gonna lie, I always liked the look of internal routing on high-end frames. Looks a bit off on some of the mid-tier offerings eg Motobecane and Raleigh
Old 12-05-23, 12:56 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,605 Times in 1,765 Posts
(...) I've visited the SBDU works in Ilkston in 1977. What I recall was about 5 guys making the frames - sorta similar to how Bill Davidson or Serotta made frames but instead of one guy doing it all, they had a team approach. One guy making forks, another brazing the down tube/head tube and a 3rd doing frame alignment (yes frame alignment on 753 frames). I have witnessed that personally and have pictures to prove it.
That was an interesting time to be there, I presume. TI Raleigh were on the verge of world domination: 8 TdF stages won that year, 10 in 1978.

You didn't happen to run into Jan Legrand when you were there, by any chance?

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 12-05-23, 04:20 PM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

I was thinking of going for the frame and maybe removing the three braze-ons, how hard would it be to saw them off and file the residual material on the tube surface?
Then repainting it in period correct mink blue color…
Any suggestion welcome…
Old 12-05-23, 08:15 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
I was thinking of going for the frame and maybe removing the three braze-ons, how hard would it be to saw them off and file the residual material on the tube surface?
Any suggestion welcome…
I have with “black wire” as found at the hardware big box store, wired them up and apply heat to the braze on, when it is dull red tug, it will go from attached to removed very quick.
even with brass. Clean up on the tube is from there pretty easy, much safer I think than sawing, filing them off.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-06-23, 03:16 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

Originally Posted by repechage
I have with “black wire” as found at the hardware big box store, wired them up and apply heat to the braze on, when it is dull red tug, it will go from attached to removed very quick.
even with brass. Clean up on the tube is from there pretty easy, much safer I think than sawing, filing them off.
ok, txs for the tip!
Old 12-06-23, 04:58 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

I shall start a new thread to discuss the “team” vs “steel blue” livery…
Old 12-06-23, 08:24 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Originally Posted by non-fixie
That was an interesting time to be there, I presume. TI Raleigh were on the verge of world domination: 8 TdF stages won that year, 10 in 1978.

You didn't happen to run into Jan Legrand when you were there, by any chance?
No, I went there because I had heard from Reynolds that every American had failed the 753 test. In the beginning one had to summit a complete frame out of 753 to demonstrate one could braze it properly and have it end up in alignment in order to be able to buy 753 tubing. The methods commonly used in the UK at the time were pretty crude so one couldn't use those methods to build a frame out of thin walled heat treated 753. I wanted to know how Raleigh at the SBDU works made their frames (if there were any special techniques) that I should know before attempting the test myself. I made an appointment to meet with Gerald O'Donovan the boss but fortunately I was detained on the way and as a result late for my appointment. So when I got there O'Donovan was out for lunch (or something). Not wanting to waste my time sitting in the office (nobody was in there) I went over to the workshop (it was in a separate building) and asked the foreman if I could hang out there waiting for O'Donovan. I spent a good 45 minutes seeing how they did things before the boss returned and chased me out. What I learned was that the methods I used in principle were suitable for making frames out of thin walled heat treated tubing. There still isn't a week that goes by 46 years later where I realize how fortunate I was to learn how to build frames at Ellis Briggs in Shipley West Yorkshire. Their building methods emphasized quality so their procedures would work just fine making a straight frame. Except it was necessary to use silver instead of brass.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 12-06-23, 08:35 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Any suggestion welcome…
I wouldn't. The heat to attach those top tube brake cable guides distorts the tube a bit. If you take them off you will be able to see that distortion when you sight down the tube. Well I suppose that if you put clamps on to hold the cable housing that will help hide that distortion. By the end of the 70's everyone wanted to have top tube cable guides on their frames whether new or being repainted. This frame reflects that common journey.

I also wouldn't suggest a DIY method to remove the bosses. I've taught hundreds of people how to build frames and only the top percentage of them would be able to remove the bosses mechanically without damaging that very thin top tube. The chance of making a mistake is high. And besides you aren't likely to have the right files an emery cloth to do it properly anyway.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 12-06-23, 10:07 AM
JackJohn
WingsToWheels

I wouldn't. The heat to attach those top tube brake cable guides distorts the tube a bit. If you take them off you will be able to see that distortion when you sight down the tube. Well I suppose that if you put clamps on to hold the cable housing that will help hide that distortion. By the end of the 70's everyone wanted to have top tube cable guides on their frames whether new or being repainted. This frame reflects that common journey.

I also wouldn't suggest a DIY method to remove the bosses. I've taught hundreds of people how to build frames and only the top percentage of them would be able to remove the bosses mechanically without damaging that very thin top tube. The chance of making a mistake is high. And besides you aren't likely to have the right files an emery cloth to do it properly anyway.
ok, I see your point, thanks for the info!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.