Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Criterium bend bars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Criterium bend bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-15, 06:59 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
Criterium bend bars

Wow. 40 years later. Finally I get a bike with criterium bend bars. What a revelation. I get it.

Just over 40 years ago I bought a Motobecane LeChampion. On this bike I would delve into racing. I would take on the likes of Greg Lemond, Ron Kefal, Mark Gorski and a who's who of american cycling greats.

The bike was equipped with TTT bar and stem, Giro d'Italia bend perhaps. From my first race on I noted how my forearms just above my wrist were always bruised after a race. The constant pulling on the bars, sprinting from corner to corner, round and round a closed circuit course, while in the drops and my forearms making contact with the tops of the bars.

I was always fascinated by the Cinelli criterium bend. Like a track bend, they seemed racy and sleek. But in the 70's you took what you could get. Choices were few. Bars were narrow. And at 16 years of age, part time job, I spent my money on tires.

So, yesterday, out for a ride on my recently acquired Bates BAR with GB criterium bend bars, I grab the bars in the drops and charge out of the saddle for a few pedal strokes. My forearms are free from touching the tops of the bars. I get it!!!! The criterium bend liberates your arms while sprinting. Oh how I wish I had these bars 40 yrs ago.
Old 04-16-15, 08:32 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I like my rando bars for the same reason.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-16-15, 09:38 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Oh! That little tidbit about handlebar design just clicked for me after reading your post, now you have me thinking about whether or not I should switch a few cockpits around...
Old 04-17-15, 01:09 AM
look171

Bikes: Casati, Look, Torelli, Ridley, and a bunch of steel bikes from the 80s and the 90s..

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by big chainring
Wow. 40 years later. Finally I get a bike with criterium bend bars. What a revelation. I get it.

Just over 40 years ago I bought a Motobecane LeChampion. On this bike I would delve into racing. I would take on the likes of Greg Lemond, Ron Kefal, Mark Gorski and a who's who of american cycling greats.

The bike was equipped with TTT bar and stem, Giro d'Italia bend perhaps. From my first race on I noted how my forearms just above my wrist were always bruised after a race. The constant pulling on the bars, sprinting from corner to corner, round and round a closed circuit course, while in the drops and my forearms making contact with the tops of the bars.

I was always fascinated by the Cinelli criterium bend. Like a track bend, they seemed racy and sleek. But in the 70's you took what you could get. Choices were few. Bars were narrow. And at 16 years of age, part time job, I spent my money on tires.

So, yesterday, out for a ride on my recently acquired Bates BAR with GB criterium bend bars, I grab the bars in the drops and charge out of the saddle for a few pedal strokes. My forearms are free from touching the tops of the bars. I get it!!!! The criterium bend liberates your arms while sprinting. Oh how I wish I had these bars 40 yrs ago.
I was in the exactly same shoe you were in 35 years ago at the tender age of 16. Yeah, tires and shorts. I raced (crits of course) with my TTT crit bars but that was not the reason why I bought them. It was for climbing. I like to keep my elbows bend and naturally the bend on the crit bars fit well where my hand was at that angle perfectly. I raced that bend of bars for 10 years, then went back to lat top bars. When I sprint, I throw the bike around a lot, so hitting the top is not really an issue. You learn to deal with it.

Today's American cyclist are just missing something where I can't exactly put my finger on it. I suppose it was the wild west back then. Those were my true American hero. I went out for a really, really hard 40 mile ride killing my friend my friend after seeing Davis Phinny wining on TV for the first time. It was a race back east with a bunch of Europeans riding it also. This was 1982 or 3? Oh boy Was I excited. I am still excited thinking about it today. Oh yeah, Keifel and then we have Rogers who come to our training rides often and rip our legs off each and every time. Good times.
Old 04-17-15, 06:00 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
These were NOS and thrown in when I bought this Atala for $20.00 US...