Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Straight pull or J bend?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Straight pull or J bend?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-23, 07:16 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Straight pull or J bend?

On the verge of ordering a new set of Dt Swiss 240’s and wondering if there is an advantage of straight pull spokes over J bend ?
Old 08-24-23, 03:40 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Yes ---------, and no.

The logic for straight pull spokes relates to steel's properties, specifically tensile strength.

The tensile yield strength in shear is roughly 80% of that in tension. So, as the J-bend spoke turns to enter a hub it loses 20% of it's strength. Following the logic that a chain is as strong as it's weakest link, this is the main reason for DB spokes, and also why the thin section usually has 80% of the cross section of the ends.

So the main argument against J-bend is removed when we use butted spokes, negating the need for straight pull.

There are also other considerations, but when all is said and done, neither is superior if the overall design and execution are done well.

BTW the main reason that J-bend has dominated for a century relates to hub manufacturing considerations. Hubs with flanges drilled from the sides are much simpler to produce than hubs designed for SP spokes.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-26-23 at 08:49 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-24-23, 06:36 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
I’m curious if custom wheels with straight pull spokes are harder to build (for an amateur wheelbuilder) compared with J-bend. My LBS wheelbuilder primarily builds with J-bend and he is quite conservative with regard to bringing up the spoke tension as he stress relieves the spokes in the build multiple time before doing the final truing. When I take the wheels he makes and start riding them I almost always have to take advantage of his complimentary tension and truing after riding them for 100 to say… 1,000miles. Once the final tensioning is done they tend to stay that way for a long time.

I have thought of trying to build a set of straight pull Dura Ace wheelset using used Dura Ace 7850 straight pull hubs. Seems like the spoke tension would need to be higher. I’d have to ask the wheelbuilder what he thinks, same with the spokes, maybe the ultra lite DT Swiss butted spokes would work for lower spokes count front hub (18 spokes) but as a 200 pounder , I’m reluctant to trust 24 spoke rear wheel. Maybe those who use straight pull hubs could speak to how strong of a wheel a 24 spoke rear would be for an ordinary 200 pound road rider.
Old 08-24-23, 07:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
J bend spokes are slightly easier to build with IMO but not by much. J bend limit the spoke rotation (as opposed to wind up) during the tensioning/truing. J bends are more widely available in many gages. J bend hubs generally tolerate different spoke angles/crossings better than straight pull hubs do.

But as Francis said either spoke type can result in a well made wheel that lasts a long time. Andy (whose spoke are bent to the left)
Old 08-24-23, 11:30 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by masi61
I’m curious if custom wheels with straight pull spokes are harder to build (for an amateur wheelbuilder) compared with J-bend.......
Yes, they're harder, but only slightly.

I hate straight pull because I prefer to load all spokes into the hub first, then lace one flange at a time.

J-bend spokes stay put, and I stabilize the second side with 2 rubber bands while lacing the first. Straight spokes don't stay put and become a pain. I rarely deal with spoke twist because I grease the threads, so no difference once they're laced.

As to weight-----

200#s is pushing it for a 24 spoke rear wheel. If asked, I'd turn it down unless I knew the rider well (riding style matters). Also, I would not increase tension because it would raise the dead load, leaving no room for the higher working load. Instead I'd use a deep section rim to increase radial rigidity.

But again; 200#s on a 24 spoke rear wheel is asking for trouble. Fine for the front, though.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-24-23 at 11:34 AM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-25-23, 05:53 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
I build a few hundred wheels per year and at least 80% are straight pull. I also do wheel repairs for three shops and individuals, and while the majority are broken elbows on J bend spokes, I do see straight pull with the heads broken off.
As to build difficulty, it depends on the hub design, Those that have the spoke pass through a hole are fairly easy, but those that slip into a pocket can be a but of a pain to keep in place as you bring them up to initial tension.
I designed and built a lacing jig that allows me to lace the wheel laying flat which helps a lot.
One thing that is definitely easier with straight pull is lacing pattern considerations. There is no questions about leading/trailing heads in or out, or choices in number of crosses because that is all dictated by the hub. It points the spoke where it needs to go.
One thing that is more difficult is measuring the dimensions for spoke length calculations. It is mostly straight forward but measuring the spoke offset can be a challenge.
Note that you need to check both sides for offset as some hubs will have more offset on one side to allow for using the same spoke length as the other.
Oh, one more thing about hub design. There are some straight pull hubs, usually ones that are radial lacing on one side, that have to have the axle and bearing removed to insert the radial spokes. (I am looking at you Tune and Spinergy) Wouldn't be so bad if they shipped the hub without the bearing installed but as it is, you risk ruining the bearing in a brand new hub just to get the thing laced. Dumb design in my opinion.
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 08-25-23, 08:11 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
I’m curious if custom wheels with straight pull spokes are harder to build (for an amateur wheelbuilder) compared with J-bend. My LBS wheelbuilder primarily builds with J-bend and he is quite conservative with regard to bringing up the spoke tension as he stress relieves the spokes in the build multiple time before doing the final truing. When I take the wheels he makes and start riding them I almost always have to take advantage of his complimentary tension and truing after riding them for 100 to say… 1,000miles. Once the final tensioning is done they tend to stay that way for a long time.

I have thought of trying to build a set of straight pull Dura Ace wheelset using used Dura Ace 7850 straight pull hubs. Seems like the spoke tension would need to be higher. I’d have to ask the wheelbuilder what he thinks, same with the spokes, maybe the ultra lite DT Swiss butted spokes would work for lower spokes count front hub (18 spokes) but as a 200 pounder , I’m reluctant to trust 24 spoke rear wheel. Maybe those who use straight pull hubs could speak to how strong of a wheel a 24 spoke rear would be for an ordinary 200 pound road rider.
You might find that the Dura Ace spoke holes are too small to accommodate the heads of vendor straight pull spokes. They are made to be used with Shimano proprietary spokes.
Old 08-25-23, 09:48 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
You might find that the Dura Ace spoke holes are too small to accommodate the heads of vendor straight pull spokes. They are made to be used with Shimano proprietary spokes.
Oh, that makes sense. I kind of got the impression that they needed extra beefy spokes. I wonder if you could build up a hub like that with some flat aero straight spokes if you could not source the OEM proprietary spokes.
Old 08-25-23, 03:01 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
... As to weight-----

200#s is pushing it for a 24 spoke rear wheel. If asked, I'd turn it down unless I knew the rider well (riding style matters). ...
Oh dear. Just when I thought I got over the fear of my CF wheels assploding, you dragged me in again.

Shoot, my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset only has 20 spokes in the rear, I better fast for a day or so.
Old 08-25-23, 03:09 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Oh dear. Just when I thought I got over the fear of my CF wheels assploding, you dragged me in again.

Shoot, my Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset only has 20 spokes in the rear, I better fast for a day or so.
Don't diet. Read the rest of the post. Weight isn't the only factor, IMO it's not the most important factor either. As I've said here countless times, I've known gorillas that never have problems, and ballerinas that always do.

So, as I said in the post, I wouldn't build 20 spoke wheels for a stranger, but would for someone I knew.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-26-23, 11:20 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 69 Posts
As a novice to wheel building it's good to here my (limited) experience matches those that know what they say. I've built a JB wheel set and a SP set. I found the JB easier to build, and more so to do the final truing. The SP has a bit of a coolness factor to it, I like the look of the machined hubs. TBH I'll probably go SP on my next build (based completely on cosmetics), even if the build is a bit more difficult it doesn't last that long.
Old 08-27-23, 07:05 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
Yes, there is an advantage: they look really cool.

Old 08-27-23, 12:06 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
As far as ride characteristics, I can’t tell the difference. As far as durability, any properly hand built wheel should last. I do avoid building round spokes in straight pull because I have no idea how to keep them from just spinning around (or even if that’s really an issue).
Old 08-27-23, 12:30 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by urbanknight
...... I do avoid building round spokes in straight pull because I have no idea how to keep them from just spinning around (or even if that’s really an issue).
There's no issue.

Head to hub friction is consistently much greater than thread friction.

However, there's a PIA factor in that you have to hold spokes while initially threading on nipples. No tools, just your other hand, but stays necessary until there's some tension, and friction takes over.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-27-23 at 12:34 PM.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 08-28-23, 12:45 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Straight pull spokes don't need the nipple heads set, which saves a (short, fairly easy) step. They look (arguably) cool. I think the advantages regarding spoke fatigue are probably mostly irrelevant for double butted spokes built with good technique, but may have slight advantages for mass production. They make it harder to find a spare spoke at a given random bike shop. Anecdotally flange failure seems pretty similar either way.

I don't have strong feelings about it, but I never choose straight pull hubs for myself nor really recommend them. If someone wants them, I'm happy to build it for them.
Old 08-29-23, 01:58 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
J-bend spokes are easier to find, and when you get them in good quality, they last for years and years.

Relja KISS Novović
Old 08-30-23, 07:11 AM
Pop N Wood

Bikes: 1982 Bianchi Sport SX, Rayleigh Tamland 1, Rans V-Rex recumbent, Fuji MTB, 80's Cannondale MTB with BBSHD ebike motor

Quoted: 668 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 355 Posts
Straight pull spokes can be replaced without removing the rear cassette.

Not an issue in the shop but a very nice thing on a touring bike that may require spoke replacements on the trail.