Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What model is this Raleigh?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-23, 03:49 AM
JeremyCherfas

Bikes: Brompton 5-speed, Colalti hybrid, 1979 Raleigh ? in good working order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I have been a pest here before, as I fixed up my old steel Raleigh. Now it is done, not a restoration just a full rebuild, and it rides like a dream. But I'd still love to know exactly which model it might be. It won't alter anything, just me being belatedly obsessive. It has a 1979 serial number, W I 9 0 0 0 2 3 7. Could be a Sprint, or a Competition, possibly. The main diagnostic I think is the pump lugs beneath the top tube, but none of the drawings I have looked at seem to show those. Grateful for any help you can offer.

My old Raleigh, with some wrecks fished out of the river.

Me and my old Raleigh.
Likes For JeremyCherfas:
Old 10-02-23, 06:47 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 641 Posts
Competition GS with a replacement fork
Old 10-02-23, 06:50 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
Light mount on the drive side of the fork points toward it being a UK market bike.

Old 10-02-23, 06:51 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
My first thought is a Competition GS. That fork crown has me reconsidering.
Not at all a Competition GS. The biggest tell tale is the stamped drop outs . This is an entry level bike , perhaps a Grand Prix or something.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-02-23, 06:51 AM
JeremyCherfas

The fork is a replacement, but I wonder. The pictures of the Competition GS I've seen have the pump on the seat tube.

Most of the pictures of Grand Prix that I have seen do not have toptube pump lugs, but occasionally they do. I think that may bell be the answer.

Last edited by JeremyCherfas; 10-02-23 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 06:54 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by cb400bill
Light mount on the drive side of the fork points toward it being a UK market bike.
The fork is a replacement
Old 10-02-23, 06:56 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3091 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,785 Posts
The fork is a replacement
Nevermind then. Carry on.

Old 10-02-23, 07:00 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Not at all a Competition GS. The biggest tell tale is the stamped drop outs . This is an entry level bike , perhaps a Grand Prix or something.
Yes, it has a claw, but that might be because of the stop being compatible with Huret and Simplex RDs. Also, a lower-end model would not have a Worksop Serial... the lowest on the food chain this would be is a Super Course. For me, the biggest "tell" would be the interior of the chain stays at the point where the rim crosses it. The Competition had rapid taper stays - which will not be crimped. Another plausible possibility would be a custom frame.
Old 10-02-23, 07:09 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,291 Times in 1,280 Posts
^ I am not aware of any Competition with stamped drop outs , especially a Comp. G.S. You are right about the Super Course , some have stamped drop outs. The Worksop serial number also includes the Super Grand Prix which was the low end of the Worksop bikes, my daughter has one but it has different features than this bike. They are still fairly nice bikes . This could be a European production that I am not familiar with.
Old 10-02-23, 07:22 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
-----

note number plate on vehicle in background of photo

-----
Old 10-02-23, 07:24 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
Competition GS with a replacement fork
I have to disagree. The Competition as built from inception in 1969 through the GS years does not ever appear to have had pump pegs underneath the top tube. While there are no clear pix of the lugs, in the second photo we can see the outline of the lower headlug where it meets the downtube. It appears to be longer/bulkier than the Nervex Professional (1969-72), Capella (1973), Prugnat 62a (1974-76) or Bocama Professional (1977-81) lugs used on those models. The rear brake cable housing stop is also not what turns up on Raleighs - it's the same as the front unit, but reversed, while Raleigh/Carlton used a front housing stop that encircled the housing with one ring and stopped it with another, using a simple single stop on the rear end leading to the actual brake. By the time of the GS models this was disposed off and cable clamps were used for a full length housing.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 10-02-23, 08:36 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
^ I am not aware of any Competition with stamped drop outs , especially a Comp. G.S. You are right about the Super Course , some have stamped drop outs. The Worksop serial number also includes the Super Grand Prix which was the low end of the Worksop bikes, my daughter has one but it has different features than this bike. They are still fairly nice bikes . This could be a European production that I am not familiar with.
I'm not seeing an image that definitively indicates the dropout is stamped. Now I do have an apparently Nottingham-made Competition that was built in 1971 that has stamped Zeus Competicion rear dropouts, but I would not expect anything with a Worksop serial number being stamped.

edit - of course we are presuming this is a Raleigh, rather than a re-labelled Carlton. Another thought was a Super Tourer - which would explain pump pegs, but I'm seeing that wasn't made after 1978. Always possible this was a custom build, or a non-US market machine. Or.. someone added pump pegs. That said, I'm not seeing the under-tube stops on a 1978 Comp GS I have in-house.

Last edited by USAZorro; 10-02-23 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 10:48 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Isn't it pretty safe to assume it's a "non-US market machine", being in Italy? Or at least to start from that assumption?
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-02-23, 11:28 AM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
^ Exactly this, the higher end Raleigh models we are familiar with in the US from the sixties and seventies were imported by Raleigh Industries of America per their specifications. They were not found as Raleighs outside of North America, more likely as Carltons. The only thing that the OP's bike has in common with a North American model Competition is that it is black.
Old 10-02-23, 11:41 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
The crankset is low end: stamped steel with aluminum arms. The seatpost is steel with a separate seat rail clamp. The brake levers are outfitted with what are probably the original safety levers. The shift levers are low-end plastic. On the other hand, the bike has what appear to be quick-release wheels with aluminum rims, and the dropouts look a little thicker than was usually the case for stamped versions. Still, I think I remember seeing (or building in the bike shop) bikes with similar dropouts that were meant for use with claw rear derailleurs in that era.

Serial number (and pump pegs) aside, some of the details point to its being an entry-level model, possibly from the time when they were about to replace their European entry-level models with Taiwan-built Rampar bikes.

Not that there's anything wrong with a late-'70's Raleigh-brand entry level bike. Maybe my overall favorite steel bike was a Bianchi Eco Pista track bike, built with Columbus Aelle plain-gauge high-tensile tubing. That was a great-riding bike.

Last edited by Trakhak; 10-02-23 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-02-23, 01:03 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
Looks like a Grand Prix to me. Our San Jose, CA shop sold Raleighs and Rampars in the late-70's.
When the distributor discovered us selling Miyatas and Viscounts, they threatened to cut us off.
Because Miyatas sold at triple the rate and 20% less, we let go of those Raleigh brands.
Anyway, that's my vague recollection of what occurred. It created a new sales pitch when customers came in for Raleighs.
Old 10-02-23, 01:45 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
Don't forget the Super Grand Prix. Looks like a contender. (without pump pegs but close)

Last edited by clubman; 10-02-23 at 01:58 PM.
Old 10-02-23, 01:59 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Grand Prix and Super Grand Prix always had the brazed on stop for the rear brake cable. The OP's bike lacks that.
Likes For daka:
Old 10-02-23, 02:14 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by daka
Grand Prix and Super Grand Prix always had the brazed on stop for the rear brake cable. The OP's bike lacks that.
That occurred in conjunction with the under top-tube guides and stops. It may have been there and chopped off.

Is the seat post size known? Also, could we get a picture of the chainstays from above (near the tire) and the rear dropout on the drive side?
Old 10-02-23, 03:32 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,713 Times in 2,613 Posts
As others have said, what Raleigh produced for the European market was often quite different than bikes exported to the US. Unfortunately, I only see the US Raleigh catalog online for 1979. However, the 1979 Carlton catalogue is available: https://carltoncycles.uk/1979-catalogue-2/

The Cyclone GT 10 looks like a close match.

Last edited by nlerner; 10-02-23 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-03-23, 01:26 AM
JeremyCherfas

OK, clearly I did not provide enough information to begin with. I bought the bicycle new, in the UK, in 1979 or 1980. I happen to live in Italy now. It is not a custom frame, I would remember that. And it is not a rebadged anything. I imagine it was an entry level or next tier up from there.

The seatpost is new, and at some point I had a (very poor, early) indexed shifter added. As far as I know, the rear brake stop is original. I will take a photograph of the chain stays and the rear dropouts (though I don't really want to remove the wheel) when I next take it out.
Old 10-03-23, 12:55 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by JeremyCherfas
OK, clearly I did not provide enough information to begin with. I bought the bicycle new, in the UK, in 1979 or 1980. I happen to live in Italy now. It is not a custom frame, I would remember that. And it is not a rebadged anything. I imagine it was an entry level or next tier up from there.

The seatpost is new, and at some point I had a (very poor, early) indexed shifter added. As far as I know, the rear brake stop is original. I will take a photograph of the chain stays and the rear dropouts (though I don't really want to remove the wheel) when I next take it out.
A couple things.

A. You're not a pest. I enjoy having to put my thinking cap on, and when I don't know an answer, I always learn something. I suspect others may say something similar.
B. No need to take the wheel off to get picture of the dropout or chainstays. Might be clearer to take those on the non-drive side.
C. If there's a number visible on the seatpost can you pass it on? I'm thinking it will be 26.x or 27.x
Old 10-03-23, 05:18 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
It's a Raleigh from the 70's. Anything goes. Whatever bits Nigel grabbed after a 3 pint Friday lunch went on the frame.
Old 10-04-23, 11:39 AM
JeremyCherfas

A couple things.

A. You're not a pest. I enjoy having to put my thinking cap on, and when I don't know an answer, I always learn something. I suspect others may say something similar.
Thanks. More pictures, in case they can narrow it down. I wisyh I'd taken some before I took it all apart, but I didn't know then what I know now.

Dropout

Chainstay

Fropnt derailleur

Very worn decal on seat tube

Decal on down tube; so must be post 1978 and serial number is for 1979
Old 10-04-23, 11:39 AM
JeremyCherfas

Originally Posted by gugie
It's a Raleigh from the 70's. Anything goes. Whatever bits Nigel grabbed after a 3 pint Friday lunch went on the frame.
I see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.