Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Meteor, made by Carlton. L'Eroica build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-23, 05:39 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts

So after doing L'Eroica in 2022 I discovered that I needed a bike with proper gearing to get over those 2 long steep climbs. I had a lot of parts available and also a very obscure frame that was hanging in the rafters . The Frame is a Meteor ,Made in England by Carlton . I bought the frame as a toss in to another bike purchase and it looked really cool so I brought it home not really thinking I'd use it .

After some deliberation , I started throwing parts on it and it started coming together very well. Except one problem, its a 58cm and I ride a 56cm. But this frame was too cool to not use so I continued. Suntour bar end shifter for the rear, and a downtube shifter for the front , why ..Because thats what I had . I modified a Schwinn Le Tour crank to accept a 34 small chainring , with a 32 in the rear I figured it was enough to get up and over . Everything else went on nicely . I rode it around the neighborhood and it shifted great and rode like a champ. I added a handlebar waterbottle holder and it was ready . Until my buddy Bert Gavilanes offered me a Campy Triple with a bottom bracket for my Moser, the Deal was too good to pass up so I went with it and rode it in Cambria. It was a 52,42,36. So my lowest gear was a 36X28 ( did I mention that I went up so slow I toppled over on the last climb? LOL ). I asked myself if the Meteor with the 34 X 32 would have kept me upright ?

Anyway , The Meteor stayed in Whittier and never made it out to Cambria . I discovered that the Meteor was sold by Carlton during the Bike Boom era ,and to not over saturate the market with Carltons and to keep Distributors happy, Carlton sold bikes under the Meteor and Franco Suisse Brands. The decals were Non existent so I Painted the panels red on the frame and attached some Decals on it that looked kinnda retro cool.

Im thinking that the Shifter set up is very practical and will probably duplicate it on my Moser for next year .

Im taking it to the Bike Swap meet tomorrow to show it off . Im thinking of riding it on one of the local Vintage rides , but it feels too damn tall .

Old 10-13-23, 06:10 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
I believe it was Lance Armstrong who ran a downtube shift lever for the front derailleur a time or two in the Tour de France.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-13-23, 06:24 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 2,531 Times in 1,059 Posts
Andy Hampsten certainly did. I don't recall whether Lance did and am far too lazy to check.

I like this build, Manny. The graphics you created look just right to my eye. And with all the chrome, you can signal search & rescue planes when you are gasping for air on Cypress.
Old 10-13-23, 06:27 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,388 Times in 3,673 Posts
@Manny66

That is fantastic, I would do whatever it takes to make it work somehow, great job.

Shorter cranks and stem might help and looks like the saddle can come down a bit and I know proportions and aesthetics are important, especially on something like this but looks like you could get there with a little more futzing if you really want to.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-13-23, 07:17 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,782 Times in 638 Posts
I see long strait rear drops a RD that should handle almost any vintage gearing. about 2-3 inches of seat post room down up and 1-2 on the stem . I think to get to your ideal size slightly smaller size of drop bars may get you there the ones on it look pretty big for a classic style build.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 10-13-23, 07:33 PM
PhilFo 
Tinker-er

Bikes: 1956 Rudge Sports; 1983 Univega Alpina Uno; 1981 Miyata 610; 1973 Raleigh Twenty; 1994 Breezer Lightning XTR; V4 Yuba Mundo aka "The Schlepper"; 1987 Raleigh "The Edge" Mountain Trials; 1952 R.O. Harrison "Madison"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 183 Posts
Shoot. Another classic, uncommon frame marque that I'm going to be passively searching for...
Gorgeous bike!

Last edited by PhilFo; 10-13-23 at 07:41 PM.
Likes For PhilFo:
Old 10-13-23, 08:52 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
I saw those on club rides and in shops as a boy in the 1960's. They were a chromo velato finish usually but underneath were the same as a Carlton Catalina or Raleigh Super Course. Anybody know who came up with the "Meteor" name and imported them?
Old 10-13-23, 09:25 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
Excellent job , Manny. I like the chrome-red combo …it works. The gearing will be very nice for those climbs.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 10-14-23, 12:14 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
This is a great looking frame and that’s a nice build you put on it! Frame details are very similar to my 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse. I can spot a few minor differences but it’s very close.

One difference I see is the shape of the fork blades. On the right (Orange) is the fork for my Franco Suisse and on the left (Blue) is the fork for my 1964 Flyer. Your fork is more like the Flyer but with the Franco’s dropouts. Just an observation. That’s truly a rare frame you’ve got there and I’m happy to see it getting used.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 10-14-23 at 12:38 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 10-14-23, 04:55 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
That is a lovely frame and a very nice build. Well done!

The frame doesn't look too big at all. A fistful of seatpost showing was the norm at the time. If it were mine, I'd raise the stem a bit. The extra comfort is noticeable, and very welcome during challenging rides like Eroica.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 10-14-23, 10:37 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

for any readers curious as to where these fit in there is a most excellent explication as to how they came about here

it is necessary to scroll down a good ways until you reach "Meteor"

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...cycles-us.html

Meteor was a member of that bounty of badges swallowed by TI BITD

they pretty much let it slumber in the ouibliette for an extended time

the forum did have one discussion thread on a Meteor badged threespeed from the late fifties/early sixties time here

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-england.html

herewith a couple images of a Meteor Franco Suisse belonging to a cycle collector friend
it was even sold by the shop which sold me my first tenspeed (back when dinosaurs yet roamed the earth)

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

alternate nameplate colouration -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 10-14-23, 11:35 AM
VRJAKE 

Bikes: Bakers dozen is the limit!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

for any readers curious as to where these fit in there is a most excellent explication as to how they came about here

it is necessary to scroll down a good ways until you reach "Meteor"

https://on-the-drops.blogspot.com/20...cycles-us.html

Meteor was a member of that bounty of badges swallowed by TI BITD

they pretty much let it slumber in the ouibliette for an extended time

the forum did have one discussion thread on a Meteor badged threespeed from the late fifties/early sixties time here

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...e-england.html

herewith a couple images of a Meteor Franco Suisse belonging to a cycle collector friend
it was even sold by the shop which sold me my first tenspeed (back when dinosaurs yet roamed the earth)

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

alternate nameplate colouration -

-----
Hey, that was my Meteor at one time, and those are my pics! No offense as I made the pics public for the public interest and passed it along perhaps 10 years ago. It was/is a fine bike and the story was Hardings shop brought in bikes that were private labeled but made by major makers such as Carleton - this was/is a Franco-Swiss model. Meteor bike in England were of the 3-speed variety, not like these, so perhaps was convenient for Hardings to have these nice Carleton frames badged as an existing brand. Have only seen a couple of these, one in a beautiful blue Chromo-velato finish, but Carleton called it something else, a term that escapes me now. The frame was very high quality, yet curious with stamped rear ends and no derailleur hanger.
Likes For VRJAKE:
Old 10-15-23, 11:42 AM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I also found those postings about the Meteor brand awhile back,,There is one more out there that went into detail about the Brand and its sales in the U.S. market but i cant locate it anymore.

Thanks for the pictures..