Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Accidentally running a yellow light that turned red.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Accidentally running a yellow light that turned red.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-21, 08:00 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And whatever the speed limit sign says, you go about 10 MPH faster than that.
Around here, the cameras will automatically send you a $35 ticket if you are speeding 6 mph to 10 mph over the limit. 11 mph or more will cost you $100.

It's amazing how frequently some of these cameras go off. Some of them are writing more than 20,000 tickets a month.
Old 09-10-21, 08:09 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I sometimes find myself watching those "how the hell did I get here?" YouTube videos, and one of those instances was a colorful judge from, IIRC, Maine. He dealt primarily (exclusively?) with traffic violations, and I was mildly surprised to see that, in his jurisdiction, at least, they gave you a red light buffer, something on the order of 0.2 seconds. IOW, they wouldn't ticket you if you entered the intersection (hitting the crosswalk) 0.2 seconds after the light turned red.
I just looked it up, and the buffer here is 0.3 seconds. It used to be 0.1 seconds, but they increased it after judges started throwing out tickets that seemed like splitting hairs. I'm guessing the cameras write so many tickets that it wasn't worth the city's effort to argue over the close calls.

There has also been some game playing with the yellow light timing. Shorter yellow lights = more tickets. (3 seconds is the minimum, which my city uses for all lights. Most cities run 3.5 seconds on their shortest yellow lights. Higher speed limits require longer yellows)

Another big money maker is right turns on red. The camera will write a ticket if motorists don't come to a complete stop before turning right.

Last edited by msu2001la; 09-10-21 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 08:19 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Okay, this is a tangent, but it's something that really bugs me when I'm visiting the in-laws in VA: why the heck don't left-turning people get in to the intersection when waiting for oncoming traffic to clear?
It has to do with "don't block the box" enforcement because of near continual congestion on some roads. And by enforcement, I also mean to say that other drivers will let you know if you're obstructing crossing traffic through your own thoughtlessness.

Only the most oblivious drivers fail to understand this. There are reasons why, but due to whatever cause some people are unable to combine the concept of smooth traffic flow, anticipation of the movements of others, and the necessity of becoming an organic part of the choreography of traffic. Many of the drivers in this region are transplants from parts of the world where they would not have normally operated vehicles themselves.
Old 09-10-21, 08:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
It has to do with "don't block the box" enforcement because of near continual congestion on some roads. And by enforcement, I also mean to say that other drivers will let you know if you're obstructing crossing traffic through your own thoughtlessness.

Only the most oblivious drivers fail to understand this. There are reasons why, but due to whatever cause some people are unable to combine the concept of smooth traffic flow, anticipation of the movements of others, and the necessity of becoming an organic part of the choreography of traffic. Many of the drivers in this region are transplants from parts of the world where they would not have normally operated vehicles themselves.
Okay, so it's not that it's illegal to do so, it's the universal standard of "don't get stuck in the intersection when the light turns," and it's taken on a life of its own? I should add that this was observed primarily in Williamsburg (lots of retirees), but it was damn near universal, which made me concerned that it was law.
Old 09-10-21, 09:03 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Okay, "if safe to do so" isn't REALLY "don't enter on a yellow light".

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-10-21, 11:03 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I thought red means the next three cars are okay to go....
only in Boston
Likes For Litespud:
Old 09-10-21, 11:09 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Hold on a second. Since the light goes from green to yellow instantaneously, how do you NOT enter intersections on the yellow?
That would be erroneous traffic control practice.

The yellow light duration should calculated, if done in good faith, such that a driver who is not exceeding the speed limit will be able to stop if they are not far enough along to make it fully through the intersection before the light turns red.

A driver exceeding the speed limit may be in a sort of “no man’s land” where there is not sufficient time and space to stop before reaching the intersection but not enough time to get through before it turns red.

This occurs because stopping distances increase faster than linearly with speed, while time through will be linear with speed.

Whether on purpose or by miscalculation, a yellow light can cause tickets if it is too short in relation to the speed limit and size of the intersection.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 09-10-21 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-10-21, 12:27 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Whisp
Closed.
First post about a non-cycling specific question, and then deleted the content of the OP? Hey, Welcome to my block list.
Old 09-10-21, 02:07 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Whisp
Closed.
I think only those with moderator status can move or close threads.

Otto
Old 09-10-21, 03:28 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Around here, the cameras will automatically send you a $35 ticket if you are speeding 6 mph to 10 mph over the limit. 11 mph or more will cost you $100.

It's amazing how frequently some of these cameras go off. Some of them are writing more than 20,000 tickets a month.
I'm just repeating something form Star Man, when the kids were telling the alien guy about driving.
Old 09-10-21, 08:11 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by msu2001la

We don’t have as many red light cameras in use here as we did ten years ago. They definitely seemed to alter driver behavior though.

Our supreme court held that the state or locale has the burden of proof to show that the person being ticketed actually was operating the vehicle at the time. Initial ordinances had required the ticketed owner to prove they weren’t driving, but those ordinances are now banned. A lot of cities just stopped sending tickets after that, though a lot of cameras are still in place.

Otto
Old 09-11-21, 10:25 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 913 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I thought red means the next three cars are okay to go....
That's totally do-able here if in the left turn lane of a busy city intersection. Some main intersections here have two lane left turn lanes each way and three or four cars could easily pull out into the intersection and wait for the light to change, but have to beware of the drivers that accelerate upon yellow and speed on through on the red, meaning the left turners are totally on the red when they finally go. Definitely a dance with the devil.

There are no red light cameras here, I think they tried it once awhile back but quickly got rid of them after a bunch of complaints from drivers in high positions in the local society were getting multiple tickets in the mail and the revelation that the contractor that supplied and installed them got the lions share of revenue with very little going to the Gov. They even were able to tweak the yellow light and camera timing for their own benefit without Gov oversight. So they disappeared after some negative newspaper articles.

My practice of cheating the lights while driving is that if I see the light turn red while going through on the yellow I am in the wrong and deserve what I get. I always try to stop on the yellow if possible, it helps to have anti lock brakes and don't hesitate to engage them on rain slick or icy streets.