Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Handlebars for my wrists

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Handlebars for my wrists

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 04:45 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1536 Post(s)
Liked 1,537 Times in 923 Posts
Handlebars for my wrists

Hi all. After a year of muddling along, I'm finally trying to fit my bike, a Giant Rove Liv Lite hybrid (thanks, Bike Forums). I had a bit of a revelation on a ride home this week; my usual wrist/hand tingling and numbness was starting up, so I put my hands on top of my flat bars and straightened my wrists. Instantly it all started to go away. So I'm thinking I need swept back handlebars; not a lot, just enough to straighten my wrists, but I have narrow shoulders, so they can't be too wide. Can any of you fine folks recommend some 31.8 handlebars that don't cost an arm and a leg? TIA.
Old 05-25-17, 05:54 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I went to Nitto All-Rounder bars at 490mm since I'm very narrow and I wanted an almost straight back sweep but my clamp is 25.4. I don't think that one comes in 31.8. You could use the Nitto mustache (or any other brand, actually) and install it with the rise up. There should be a bike shop where you can take your bike and they can put different bars on for you to try out.
Old 05-26-17, 08:44 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Thanks linberl; I'm kind of out in the boonies, so not that many bike shops; we have one, and two outiftters with bike shops in them. One, where I bought my bike, doesn't carry much of anything, and the other carries a few handlebars, none swept. I'm betting Revolution carries only mtb and drops, because that's what's big here. I'll keep trying, and look into Nitto.
Old 05-26-17, 09:35 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
See if any of the shops carry North Roads style, Moustache style, FSA Metropolis bar, Mary On One bar.
Ask for anything with at least a 40 degree back sweep. the reason you want to try to find it in a shop is that bars are like saddles - you need to try them out - and the back and forth online shipping can mount up. Also, many bars can be cut down if they are too wide (doesn't work with a high degree of back sweep). If your current bars are fairly straight but too wide, you could try cutting them down (your local shop can definitely do that). Maybe it's time to go visit a friend who lives where there's more shops? A trip to Santa Rosa? NorCal Bikes is a great shop; I had my bike fit there.
Old 05-26-17, 10:20 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Figure 8 bend 'Trekking' Bars offer a lot of different hand holds, and the control levers on a hybrid can be transferred.

a 25,4 to 31,8* shim, machined, can allow a smaller center bar fit your stem, but .. you may find a different stem may improve the fit.

I cannot judge this for you remote. Arcata, a College town, has bike shops. Eureka, nearby, has several too.

* that's 1" to 1.25", in equivalent metric numbers.

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-26-17 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,356 Times in 863 Posts
Alternatively, Ergon Grips and bar ends are on my straight bar bikes (for Folding they need be such)
give a broad surface, and the integrated bar ends add to the options, (I'm using their GR3)
which include open palm resting some of my upper body weight on my hands, not needing to grip at all.
Old 05-31-17, 03:06 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Thanks you guys, for your suggestions.

fietsbob, the shop where I bought my bike doesn't carry handlebars, the second only carries drops and mtb flat bars, and I haven't been to the third yet. Trekking bars may be overkill for my riding style, but I'll keep an open mind. Also, I just got some Ergons, and they have helped a lot. It would still be nice to have straight wrists, though.

linberl, I'll look for those bars, thanks. I already had the ridiculously wide bars cut by 1/2", and if I keep them I'll need to trim another 1/2" (problematic, as there isn't much room, and my shifter indicators are already hitting the wide bit in the middle).
Old 06-03-17, 07:17 PM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Korina
Thanks linberl; I'm kind of out in the boonies, so not that many bike shops; we have one, and two outiftters with bike shops in them. One, where I bought my bike, doesn't carry much of anything, and the other carries a few handlebars, none swept. I'm betting Revolution carries only mtb and drops, because that's what's big here. I'll keep trying, and look into Nitto.
Look into Jones Loop bars or Jones H-bars. I use a loop bar, it has a comfortable backsweep but not straight like Albatross or North Road. It has a 31.8mm diameter mount. I also recommend getting Ergon grips to reduce your neuropathy. They come in two hand sizes and in different materials (traditional is rubber but they have composite cork and leather-covered models) and both without and with bar-ends and different shapes/lengths of bar-ends.
Old 06-05-17, 10:15 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Originally Posted by CHenry
Look into Jones Loop bars or Jones H-bars.
Oooo, me likee! Thanks!
Old 06-05-17, 04:06 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a couple different bars to bring them back and turn my wrists a bit.
My bike is a Giant Roam 3 (straight type mountain bars).
The first set I tried was Origin 8 Space off road bars.
The center is 25.4mm (a shim would work for your bike).
https://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Space...ff%2Broad&th=1
They worked pretty well , but I thought a bit more might be nice.
Next set was Surly Open bars.
Handlebar | Parts and Accessories | Surly Bikes
I went with the rise not the flat style , even better than the Origin8 for me.
The Origin 8 bars were fine with my stock cables , the Surly needed a front shift cable change.
Both of these bars are wide and can be cut down easy enough if needed.
The Surly's allow me to run my controls way forward with a really long grip.
This way I can more forward and back without letting go of the bars to change my spine angle as needed that day.
If a local shop has QBP brands , they can order you nearly anything you need easily.
Here a pic , not great but you get the idea how far they turn back.

My wrists are much more pain free with this setup.
Mick
Old 06-16-17, 12:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

@mickw, sorry for the long delay, my attention wanders. Thanks for the recommendations, including Origin8. I kind of like these mustache bars, but I'm not sure. It's frustrating not to be able to try out bars. Still looking. Trying to get measurements for Jones loop bars, but so far it's been, 'go look at the web site.' Well duh!
Old 06-16-17, 08:39 PM
mickw

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 3 , 2001 Trek 700 Multitrack , 2017 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Jones loop bars come in 666 and 710 CM widths which are quite wide.
The Surly bars are about 660 CM at the widest and narrow as they go forward.
I am currently running the Velo Orange Casey's Crazy Bars which are about 660 at the widest.
Casey's Crazy Bar, Alloy, Noir - Handlebars - Components
These have many hand positions which are pretty neat in real usage.
So far I like these best , just slightly more than the Surlys.
Another possible thing to try , I did this to mine , is run a slightly shorter stem.
My stock stem was a 115mm 15 degree and I changed to a 90mm 15 degree to pull the bars a bit closer.
This changes the weight on your wrists and brings the spine up slightly , maybe a better position for you.
I have dialed my fit over about 900 miles of riding and just have to get the numb hands a little less numb.
I used to be 5'9" but spinal problems have shortened me to 5'6" , but my arms and legs are the same as they were.
Keep at it , you'll get it right after some fiddling with a few tweaks.
Mick