Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Change it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-13, 11:47 AM
bunkiefd4

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Change it?

Ok guys, this might be far fetched but here's my situation. I bought a brand new Trek 8.3DS, awesome bike, rides great, it's comfortable and I have no complaints on it. I'm really getting into this cycling business and I'm starting to realize that I should have bought a pure road bike. This is my question, 1) Can I put drop bars on this bike? 2) Can I put the slim road tires on it? The tires I have now are 700X38 and if I could mount drop bars on it, will the shifters and all that just mount rite up to the new bars?

Ok, now that you understand where I'm at, what do you suggest? Just buy a road bike and try to sell mine are convert mine? Yes money is a issue here, I can't afford to just go buy a new road bike.

Guys please forgive me, I don't know the correct terms for certain parts on bikes, I'm still new to this business. Ok, start throwing ideas at me.
Old 04-16-13, 12:06 PM
treadtread

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You can't convert yours - the cost involved in quite prohibitive (and you will likely be uncomfortable with the result). Sell the 8.3DS and get a road bike (your shop might be willing to cut you a deal on that one).

That said, before you actually do anything, go to your LBS and take out a road bike on a long test ride. See if you actually like the ride before taking the plunge.
Old 04-16-13, 02:42 PM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you keep it you might consider trekking bars and 32 section tires.
Old 04-16-13, 02:51 PM
Joelpatrick

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 4

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fellow Louisianian,

Sell it and get a road bike if you can't afford to keep it and just go buy another bike. I would personally save and get a road bike and keep the DS for different kinds of rides. I wouldn't attempt going through the hassle of converting to drop bars and all that as the results wouldn't be pretty and still wouldn't be the same as a road bike. There's a lot of differences in what makes a road bike a road bike besides drop bars alone. If you feel you're riding on the road a lot and that's what has you wanting a road bike, why not get some more road friendly tires for a little faster/smoother ride. Then start saving for the road bike.
Old 04-16-13, 02:53 PM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I agree with Joelpatrick. One thing you will find is that a new bike depreciates faster than a new car. You'll be lucky to half of what you paid for it.
Old 04-16-13, 03:57 PM
SLazz

Bikes: Diamondback Trace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Joelpatrick
Fellow Louisianian,

Sell it and get a road bike if you can't afford to keep it and just go buy another bike. I would personally save and get a road bike and keep the DS for different kinds of rides. I wouldn't attempt going through the hassle of converting to drop bars and all that as the results wouldn't be pretty and still wouldn't be the same as a road bike. There's a lot of differences in what makes a road bike a road bike besides drop bars alone. If you feel you're riding on the road a lot and that's what has you wanting a road bike, why not get some more road friendly tires for a little faster/smoother ride. Then start saving for the road bike.
That is excellent advice. Try changing out the tires and that alone should hold you over till you get the funds together for a pure roadie.
Old 04-16-13, 04:22 PM
erg79

Bikes: 2012 Jamis Coda Comp; early 80s Univega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be curious to hear more why a road bike is more preferable now, and why the bike now seems like it's lacking in some way.

Different tires also seems like a good idea to me, but there might be more we can help you with if you can give more of an explanation why you're thinking has changed.
Old 04-16-13, 04:37 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, guys, some great comments here. Well since I have started this thread things have changed some, it looks like I may have the money to go buy a new road bike and either keep the 8.3 are sell it. I have 5 friends that are big into the road bikes, they get together and do some serious riding. I want to get into that. Some have Specialized Tarmacs and a couple have Trek 1.5's. The 8.3 is a awesome bike but I can't hang with them on it. Plus I think a road bike would be better for my commuting back and forth to work.
Old 04-16-13, 05:04 PM
treadtread

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
Wow, guys, some great comments here. Well since I have started this thread things have changed some, it looks like I may have the money to go buy a new road bike and either keep the 8.3 are sell it. I have 5 friends that are big into the road bikes, they get together and do some serious riding. I want to get into that. Some have Specialized Tarmacs and a couple have Trek 1.5's. The 8.3 is a awesome bike but I can't hang with them on it. Plus I think a road bike would be better for my commuting back and forth to work.
Finally filed your tax returns?
To be honest, if you've just started and your friends have been cycling for a while, you aren't going to keep up with them anyway. But this is a bike forum, and N+1 is always the right solution to any problem
Old 04-16-13, 05:06 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not to sure what N+1 means?
Old 04-16-13, 05:46 PM
treadtread

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The correct number of bikes to own = N+1, where N=number of bikes you currently own.
Old 04-16-13, 06:16 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol cool deal, I kinda figured that's what it meant. Oh yea, Treadtread, I did just get my income tax but I have a set of 14 month old twin girls and they take every bit of it!
Old 04-16-13, 07:00 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by SLazz
That is excellent advice. Try changing out the tires and that alone should hold you over till you get the funds together for a pure roadie.
I agree with SLazz & Joelpatrick.
Old 04-16-13, 07:04 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Originally Posted by bunkiefd4
Buying a new bike is always fun.
Old 04-16-13, 07:24 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Look for a guy on craigs list or ebay in a similar position as you but in reverse. Alway a good time to look for a good used bike is once triathlon season ends. Many wannabes race out and buy great bikes only to find their goals are less than achievable.
After a year they want to move their mistake.
When looking for a good used road bike, look for 10 speed tiagra or 105...nothing less.
Old 04-16-13, 07:59 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Educate me a little. When you say Tiagra, your talking about the rear derailuer? And what do you mean 105? Bare with me fellas, still new to this but wanting to learn.
Old 04-16-13, 08:07 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, yea I see now. The bike I want is the Trek 1.5, the specs say it comes with a Tiagra on the rear. So obviously a good one.
Old 04-16-13, 08:25 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
I agree with Joelpatrick. One thing you will find is that a new bike depreciates faster than a new car. You'll be lucky to half of what you paid for it.
This can work to your advantage if you aren't in too much of a hurry to get the new road bike. I.e. continue to use your hybrid but keep an eye on craigslist and other used bike sites (local swap meets, sales, etc.) for a good used road bike at a bargain price. Then keep both bikes. It's always good to have a spare bike when you're all set to go for a ride and discover a flat tire or other mechanical issue. And you can use the bikes for different functions - the hybrid for rainy rides and utility trips and the road bike for faster, more competitive rides.
Old 04-16-13, 08:36 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
This can work to your advantage if you aren't in too much of a hurry to get the new road bike. I.e. continue to use your hybrid but keep an eye on craigslist and other used bike sites (local swap meets, sales, etc.) for a good used road bike at a bargain price. Then keep both bikes. It's always good to have a spare bike when you're all set to go for a ride and discover a flat tire or other mechanical issue. And you can use the bikes for different functions - the hybrid for rainy rides and utility trips and the road bike for faster, more competitive rides.
Yea that's not a bad idea. I'd love to keep the 8.3 to pull my bike trailer when my wife and I go ride. It pulls the kids really good. And use the 1.5 to commute back and forth to work and get together with my buddy's for those rides.
Old 04-16-13, 09:36 PM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding some really good deals on Craigslist rite now. Looks like I might go that route and keep the 8.3.
Old 04-16-13, 09:40 PM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
the Shimano road groups (collections of parts meant to work together) are (from cheapest to best) 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, and finally Dura-ace.

on Mountain Bikes, its (again, cheapest to nicest) Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, Deore LX, SLX, Deore XT, adn XTR. There might be some new specialty ones in there for DH bikes like Saint.
Old 04-17-13, 04:47 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pierce
the Shimano road groups (collections of parts meant to work together) are (from cheapest to best) 2300, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, and finally Dura-ace.

on Mountain Bikes, its (again, cheapest to nicest) Tourney, Altus, Acera, Alivio, Deore, Deore LX, SLX, Deore XT, adn XTR. There might be some new specialty ones in there for DH bikes like Saint.
Thanks for posting that, I've been curious on the order and that's exactly what I needed to see.
Old 04-17-13, 07:50 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Ok when I said Tiagra or 105 min. I actually meant the whole component set. If this is the bike you are looking at, I'd say go for it. I believe it's a great bike and if you ever have to replace any parts (crash / ungrade / whatever) it's easy to replace since it's all 10 speed.
Old 04-17-13, 11:23 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
especially on mountain/hybrid bikes, but probably on road bikes too, many new midrange bikes have mix-and-match groups. they'll have a Deore rear derailleur, but a Alvio front, or whatever, and some midrange shifters, a different brand brake, and who knows what crank.
Old 04-17-13, 11:51 AM
bunkiefd4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok guys, here are the specs. Tell me what you think.
Frameset
Frame
100 Series Alpha Aluminum
Fork
Trek carbon road, SpeedTrap compatible
Sizes
50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm
Frame fit
H2
Wheels
Wheels
Alloy hubs w/Bontrager Approved alloy rims
Tires
Bontrager R1, 700x23c
Drivetrain
Shifters
Shimano Tiagra STI, 10 speed
Front derailleur
Shimano Tiagra, 34.9mm clamp
Rear derailleur
Shimano Tiagra
Crank
FSA Vero, 50/34 (compact)
Cassette
Shimano Tiagra 12-30, 10 speed
Pedals
Nylon body w/alloy cage
Components
Saddle
Bontrager Affinity 1, steel rails
Seatpost
Bontrager Race, infinite tilt adjustment, 20mm offset
Handlebar
Bontrager Race VR-C, 31.8mm
Stem
Bontrager SSR, 31.8mm, 10 degree
Headset
1-1/8" semi-cartridge bearings
Brakeset
Alloy dual-pivot brakes w/Shimano Tiagra STI levers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.