Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I'm banging my head. Flipping coins. Everything. Sorry. Surly LHT or Salsa Fargo 3.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I'm banging my head. Flipping coins. Everything. Sorry. Surly LHT or Salsa Fargo 3.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 05:29 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimRider
I was right with you all the way Hardy, up until you got to the " 26x2.0 is a comparable diameter to 700x25 anyway" part. What does that mean?
They're the same diameter, ~66cm.

However, the 26x2.0 tire is considerably heavier than a 700x25, about 600-900g vs 220-330g. You can really feel the extra >300g when pedaling, especially as distance increases.
Old 07-01-12, 07:27 AM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rschreck

Please help me.

Lastly...these are ONLY bikes I want. HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
These bikes are as different as night and day so this tells me you don't have a clue what you want. Probably should rethink the question.
Old 07-01-12, 07:30 AM
Igo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Eventually, you will own more than one bike, so one doesn't have to do everything. Why don't you pick one of those (or a different one) that does most of what you want, and then your next bike can do the rest.
This (see my signature) then the LHT would round out my stable.
Old 07-01-12, 09:02 AM
usndoc2011

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Salsa Vaya, I built it up with ultregra (mostly) parts and BB7 brakes. I love it! It's a high quality, lightweight frame with beautiful construction. Standard discs are sweet with plenty of braze-ons for fenders and racks. It's a bit more, but totally worth it.

My vote goes for Salsa, easy.
Old 07-01-12, 09:24 AM
rschreck

Bikes: 1996 Trek Mountain Track 830

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo
These bikes are as different as night and day so this tells me you don't have a clue what you want. Probably should rethink the question.
So you're saying I should compare the LHT to what? And the Fargo to what? Learn me.
Old 07-01-12, 09:29 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
FYI for those wanting to compare for themselves. Looks like the Salsa is essentially a mountain bike with road bars, and the LHT is a rugged road bike.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/fargo_3/

https://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker/

Last edited by cooker; 07-01-12 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-01-12, 09:44 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Igo
No, it makes sense. Basically he's comparing an off-road bike you can ride on the road, with a road bike you can ride off road.

Last edited by cooker; 07-01-12 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-01-12, 10:33 AM
Bethany

Bikes: 2013 Ridley X-BOW

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden both and each one rides completely different. I bought my Fargo because of the off road capabilities since I ride in rural areas. Plus I loved the Woodchipper bars and the disc brakes. I don't remember if the LHT has the Woodchipper bars or not. Doesn't look like it from the pictures.

My next favorite was the Cross Check as it was much lighter and more agile but I wanted the disc brakes. I haven't tried the Vaya. Salsa makes the Chile Con Crosso as well, but I haven't ridden that either.

Surly/Salsa make great bikes and their versatility can't be beat which is why they are gaining in popularity. If you want a mountain bike that rides both on road/off road, it's the Fargo. If you want a road bike that can go off road, buy the LHT. I think the Fargo can fit up to 2.3 inch? tires which gives you lots of options. I don't know about the LHT. Since it's a road bike, your tire choices may be limited. Not a deal breaker, but it's something else to think about.
Old 07-01-12, 12:01 PM
NCbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bethany
If you want a mountain bike that rides both on road/off road, it's the Fargo. If you want a road bike that can go off road, buy the LHT.
This is the bottom line. Base your decision on where you think you will spend more time, road or off road.
Old 07-01-12, 12:21 PM
Igo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So you're saying I should compare the LHT to what? And the Fargo to what? Learn me.
One is a road bike and one is a dirt bike.
Old 07-01-12, 02:31 PM
sirtirithon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, time to fight for the Fargo. It really is a do anything bike, much more so than the LHT. You have the power of disc brakes, the smooth rolling 29er wheelset, the brilliant frame design with ample stand over room, the awesome and versatile woodchipper bars, the Fargo fork with all of the braze ons, and the rest of the frame has a ton of braze ons for easy fender and rack mounting. I have run Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my Fargo for fast road travel, as well as Race King 2.2 knobbies and WTB Nano's. I find I prefer the knobbies simply because I do a lot of single track on my way to work for fun. I have run full fenders, racks, you name it at one time or another on my Fargo. It's just a sweet design for a bike, it's truly the jack of all trades. I'd say the Surly Ogre is the closest comparison but it doesn't have the sweet woodchipper bars. If you have the slightest thought that you might want to do some off road exploring or bikepacking, or just want a bike that will roll right over pot holes I highly recommend the Fargo. I have mine setup with a Revelate Designs Frame pack and seat bag and a Salsa Anything cage on my front fork. Between all of these I can haul just about anything gear wise to work and back without a rack needed or backpack. Good luck!

Old 07-01-12, 04:38 PM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Disc Trucker. I only owned it for a few months. I did some weekend rides and commuted on it. I like it a lot. But I built it up with flat bars. It's very, very, very comfortable and can carry lots of stuff but it's not a fast bike and it's not nimble. It's surely faster than my MTB commuter but can't even remotely compare to a road bike. There is no real acceleration to speak of, it is a truck. I run it with slick 32 tires so I am not going to try any serious off-roading but it handles gravel just fine.

But it's an old school frame with minimal standover.
Old 07-01-12, 08:40 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I want a bike that will work for all of these: 1) be able beat the **** out of. 2) ride on the roads and some dirt, gravel, bike trails, maybe a set of steps here and there. 3) be a "fast" bike when I need it to be (i.e. holy ****, I'm late for work, dinner, whatever fast). 4) possibly ride in snow, but definitely sleet and rain. 5) sometimes ride with a rack and/or fenders. 6) be easy to upgrade later. 7) be comfortable to ride if I get a wild hair up my ass and decide to go for a 50+ mile bike ride one day or decide I want to ride across the US. 8) work if I decide to become completely car free. 9) be able to haul a trailer. 10) ensures that I'll never post something along the lines of this type of post again....EVER.
I own that bike. It's my cross check.
Old 07-01-12, 08:56 PM
con
Older I get, faster I was

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Salsa works for me as an all around bike. It is not a mountain bike with drop bars. As a complete factory build it comes stock with road gearing and of course 700c wheels.

I use mine for about everything other than my serious road rides/workouts. I just added a mountain crank and front derailleur so I could have a bit easier time climbing the steep stuff off road.

Reality is, if you are really struggling with your decision then odds are either bike would most likely work for you.

Mine today after a hard off road ride and then getting cleaned up

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
vaya.jpg (87.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by con; 07-01-12 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-01-12, 09:24 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I can't decide. I really can't. I wish one of them was offered in my favorite color...but I don't have a favorite color. Hell, I don't really care what color my bike is.

I want a bike that will work for all of these: 1) be able beat the **** out of. 2) ride on the roads and some dirt, gravel, bike trails, maybe a set of steps here and there. 3) be a "fast" bike when I need it to be (i.e. holy ****, I'm late for work, dinner, whatever fast). 4) possibly ride in snow, but definitely sleet and rain. 5) sometimes ride with a rack and/or fenders. 6) be easy to upgrade later. 7) be comfortable to ride if I get a wild hair up my ass and decide to go for a 50+ mile bike ride one day or decide I want to ride across the US. 8) work if I decide to become completely car free. 9) be able to haul a trailer. 10) ensures that I'll never post something along the lines of this type of post again....EVER.

Please help me.

Lastly...these are ONLY bikes I want. HHHHEEEELLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!
I've never even seen the Fargo, but I have the LHT and ride it every day. I love it, but based on the criteria you've listed, maybe it's not quite what you want. You can beat the cr*p out of it, ride it on some dirt, ride it with a rack and fenders, and of course haul stuff with it, but with the long cranks and low bottom bracket you're better off not attempting stairs, and it's not even close to being a speedy bike. (I can do maybe 25-26 mph if I feel like trying to pop my aorta, but not for an extended period of time. My usual flat-ground speed with no headwind is a much more modest 15-16 mph.)
Old 07-02-12, 08:50 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts

I want a bike that will work for all of these: 1) be able beat the **** out of.
2) ride on the roads and some dirt, gravel, bike trails, maybe a set of steps here and there.
3) be a "fast" bike when I need it to be (i.e. holy ****, I'm late for work, dinner, whatever fast).
4) possibly ride in snow, but definitely sleet and rain.
5) sometimes ride with a rack and/or fenders.
6) be easy to upgrade later.
7) be comfortable to ride if I get a wild hair up my ass and decide to go for a 50+ mile bike ride one day or decide I want to ride across the US.
8) work if I decide to become completely car free.
9) be able to haul a trailer. !
Your description is more Cross-Check/Vaya etc. than LHT or Fargo given the preference for fast road riding over loaded touring or off-road riding. The CC can take fat tires and the geometry is well suited for road riding. Anything that requires tires larger than 47mm or better off roading than the CC or similar bike will take you further from a fast road bike.

Last edited by LeeG; 07-03-12 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-02-12, 08:14 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
By the description of what you need, I really don't see you being happy with either the LHT or the Fargo. Neither will ever be even close to "a fast bike when I need it to be".

For mainly road riding, with some gravel grinding and light single track, take a closer look at the Surly Cross Check and Salsa Vaya. The main difference between them is that the Cross Check has a more aggressive road riding position, while the Vaya is a bit more laid back. Both bikes will handle the 50-mile ride and the trailer use, but the Vaya will probably be more comfortable on the ride across the US. For snow riding, I'd personally prefer the more laid back ride of the Vaya. For the speeding across town, the Cross Check gets the nod.

My Vaya3

Last edited by AlmostGreenGuy; 07-03-12 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-03-12, 04:17 AM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
No, it makes sense. Basically he's comparing an off-road bike you can ride on the road, with a road bike you can ride off road.

Only problem there is that the 700cLHT is more of a truck for carrying loads in a straight line than a "road bike" for nimble unloaded fast riding which appears to be the dominant use for the op. The 700LHT fits in the general category of bike for riding on roads but it's about as far from a road bike as a shocked hard tail is from a cross bike.
Old 07-03-12, 06:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Salsa Vaya seems like a better choice than either the Fargo or LHT, based on your stated desires. It all seems to boil down to whether you want a road bike or a mountain bike. The Vaya is sort of in-between.
Old 07-03-12, 07:00 PM
rschreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
By the description of what you need, I really don't see you being happy with either the LHT or the Fargo. Neither will ever be even close to "a fast bike when I need it to be".

For mainly road riding, with some gravel grinding and light single track, take a closer look at the Surly Cross Check and Salsa Vaya. The main difference between them is that the Cross Check has a more aggressive road riding position, while the Vaya is a bit more laid back. Both bikes will handle the 50-mile ride and the trailer use, but the Vaya will probably be more comfortable on the ride across the US. For snow riding, I'd personally prefer the more laid back ride of the Vaya. For the speeding across town, the Cross Check gets the nod.

My Vaya3

This photo just made me want a Vaya. Which I will adorn with a beautiful Brooks just like yours.

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice everyone. From reading everything, the Vaya looks like the best choice for what I will need. I was always leaning towards the Fargo, but the Vaya seems more logical.
Old 07-03-12, 07:01 PM
rschreck

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirtirithon
Ok, time to fight for the Fargo. It really is a do anything bike, much more so than the LHT. You have the power of disc brakes, the smooth rolling 29er wheelset, the brilliant frame design with ample stand over room, the awesome and versatile woodchipper bars, the Fargo fork with all of the braze ons, and the rest of the frame has a ton of braze ons for easy fender and rack mounting. I have run Schwalbe Marathon Supremes on my Fargo for fast road travel, as well as Race King 2.2 knobbies and WTB Nano's. I find I prefer the knobbies simply because I do a lot of single track on my way to work for fun. I have run full fenders, racks, you name it at one time or another on my Fargo. It's just a sweet design for a bike, it's truly the jack of all trades. I'd say the Surly Ogre is the closest comparison but it doesn't have the sweet woodchipper bars. If you have the slightest thought that you might want to do some off road exploring or bikepacking, or just want a bike that will roll right over pot holes I highly recommend the Fargo. I have mine setup with a Revelate Designs Frame pack and seat bag and a Salsa Anything cage on my front fork. Between all of these I can haul just about anything gear wise to work and back without a rack needed or backpack. Good luck!

"Ok. Time to fight for the Fargo.". I LOVE this!
Old 07-03-12, 09:48 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
May I suggest a Rivendell Atlantis or A. Homer Hilsen, or Sam Hillborne?