Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Any other "french press" commuters out there?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 03:13 PM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I just started commuting after a year or so off (yeah, I know). One of the things I miss the most is my morning coffee on my drive in. I have to admit that I am a bit of a coffee snob so the stuff they have at work (from concentrate) is hardly going to cut it.

I solved the problem by bringing in my french press and simply grind just before I leave for work and bring it in a sandwich bag.

Anyone else solving the "coffee problem"?
Old 04-23-12, 03:22 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
You've done precisely what I've done. You could also go so far as to bring a grinder in and keep a week's worth of beans at the office.

For a while, I was actually making some pretty damn good espresso with a handpresso and ceramic-burr grinder. THAT got me some looks in the lunch room.

Last edited by canyoneagle; 04-23-12 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 03:25 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I use a Bodum as well. I either grind the dark French Roast beans at home or buy it already ground and pour it into a sealed tin (I bought a couple - they originally held organic coffee so they have the little plastic breathing soffet in them) which I bring to work and store in the freezer. But I only do this because it's way cheaper than buying coffee at work or at the local coffee shop.

I used to brew freshly-ground coffee at home before the ride to work, but I found as I got older that on cold winter days I'd only be able to make it about 30 minutes before I needed a toilet stop, and the ride to work was closer to an hour. So now I just wait till I get to work to have coffee. It felt strange at first, getting on the bike without having had coffee, but I got used to it by the second day. So I know I'm not addicted to the stuff. But I do love a good cup of coffee, straight black.

Luis
Old 04-23-12, 03:27 PM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
So, I just started commuting after a year or so off (yeah, I know). One of the things I miss the most is my morning coffee on my drive in. I have to admit that I am a bit of a coffee snob so the stuff they have at work (from concentrate) is hardly going to cut it.

I solved the problem by bringing in my french press and simply grind just before I leave for work and bring it in a sandwich bag.

Make a cappuccino right before I go, put it in a cup that fits perfectly in my water bottle cage, and enjoy sipping it while I walk the pedestrian mall at the end of my (short) commute.
Old 04-23-12, 04:29 PM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an espresso just before leaving, and convinced a few workmates to chip in and we bought an espresso machine at work too.

Problem solved

z
Old 04-23-12, 05:03 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I have a drip coffee maker at work. I supply coffee which is usually generic namebrand (Folger's, etc.), but I also buy coffee from a local roaster (BF member pallen) to change it up. It's my pot but anyone can drink from it. Sometimes someone else brings coffee, but if not, I'm okay with that. I like freshly brewed coffee but I'm not much of a coffee snob.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-23-12, 05:15 PM
WickedThump

Bikes: Kona JTS Frankenbike

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My workmates didn't like "that fancy crap", so I kept a Bodum french press at work. I'd grind the beans at home and bring some fresh milk to froth every shift.
Old 04-23-12, 05:28 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a plastic device that holds a No. 2 cone filter. I keep a bag of ground coffee at work - usually a good brand. All I have to do is place the holder+cone on top of a mug, add coffee, and pour the right amount of hot water into it. Couldn't be simpler!
Old 04-23-12, 05:53 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A large Bodum French press and a good grinder have been standard equipment in my kitchen, in my office desk at work, and also in my shop for about 30 years now, but I often use a 12oz Vietnamese phin instead if I am only making one cup at a time.

I also prefer Vietnamese double-roasted French beans because they are just about the richest beans that I have found, and I usually buy them directly from an online roaster because they are timestamped with the time and date they were roasted and don't sit on a shelf for a month before being sold.

I've never really considered myself to be a coffee snob, but will admit that I am pretty set in my ways when it comes to coffee and beer, and I generally prefer French roast coffee and dark ales or stouts, and my favorite after work evening starter is often a quad espresso and a Guinness because they just seem to be made for each other.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 04-24-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 04-23-12, 06:16 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
I Prefer just plain old McDonalds black coffee. Get a large cup every morning on my way to work.
Old 04-23-12, 06:52 PM
clawhammer72

Bikes: 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hario Grinder and Hario V60 Pour over alongside fresh home roasted beans make lunch time a time I look forward to.
Old 04-23-12, 07:52 PM
jettore

Bikes: 85 Peugeot Canyon Express, 73? Torpado, 85 Trek 400

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just took a grinder and press in last week. Works great except for cleanup. I'm trying to minimize the amount of grounds down the sink so it doesn't clog. Anyone have some good tips for easy cleaning without making a big mess?
Old 04-23-12, 08:18 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thermos

French press, fresh beans, drink half, bring other half in thermos.
Old 04-23-12, 10:04 PM
usndoc2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a french press commuter as well. I have the GSI personal Java press, which I am supremely satisfied with. I've been using the thing for 2 or three 3years straight without any trouble. It's a 24oz lexan press, insulated, that stacks a la russian doll with a separate capped cup, which is ideal so that your coffee doesn't sit in your old beans while your sipping, AND so you can add your milk and sugar easier and cleaner. the press itself is a durable plastic disk with a rubber gasket, so grounds don't get through. When the whole thing is stacked, there's space for coffee in a plastic bag inside the press, which helps isolate the coffee from off flavors from my backpack, or from leaking its flavors to the atmosphere. I buy starbucks on the cheap when I can, grind with a bravia burr grinder the night before (or morning of). water comes from a filtered water source at work and heated with a cheap electrical hotpot. I'll store the undrunk coffee in a thermos if there is any. I also have a handpresso and an aeropress, but I prefer my french press.
Old 04-23-12, 10:23 PM
WickedThump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone use a Bialetti type cappucino maker?
Old 04-23-12, 10:45 PM
canyoneagle

Bikes: Vassago Moosknuckle Ti 29+ XTR, 90's Merckx Corsa-01 9sp Record, PROJECT: 1954 Frejus SuperCorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by jettore
I just took a grinder and press in last week. Works great except for cleanup. I'm trying to minimize the amount of grounds down the sink so it doesn't clog. Anyone have some good tips for easy cleaning without making a big mess?
Empty the grounds into the trash (or better yet the compost) before rinsing the press out
Old 04-24-12, 07:07 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I've started carrying home-brewed coffee in an insulated stainless steel mug in the bottle cage on my bike. Someone on this forum recommended Bubba bottles as an insulated mug that will fit the bike cages well, so I picked one up on Amazon for a decent price. The bottle works as advertised, keeping my coffee hot for several hours and it fits my bottle cages just right.
Old 04-24-12, 07:19 AM
gevad 

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Cannondale Topstone, Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tarwheel
Someone on this forum recommended Bubba bottles as an insulated mug that will fit the bike cages well, so I picked one up on Amazon for a decent price.
What a good idea! I've been lugging a metal thermos bottle in my backpack, and this sounds much better. Is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Brands-H...5273258&sr=8-1

Thanks.
Old 04-24-12, 07:26 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by canyoneagle
Empty the grounds into the trash (or better yet the compost) before rinsing the press out
And adding just a little water to the grounds with a couple of swirls to stir things up while dumping into the trash gets most of them out with no fuss. The few remaining grounds wash down the drain with no problem.

And that's a passive, backward way of saying that yes, I too have a press at work. :-) I wouldn't say I'm a snob as I can drink most coffee placed in front of me, but Caribou's Obsidian is #1 on my list at the moment.
Old 04-24-12, 07:48 AM
WickedThump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jettore
I use a small rubber spatula to clean out most of the coffee, then rinse. Then I use the press to froth the milk.
Old 04-24-12, 08:08 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I just brew up a couple Dunkin Donuts K-Cups in my Keurig in the morning, and store the coffee in my bike's bottle cage in my 20oz Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated stainless steel bottle, for the trip to work. Coffee stays hot all morning long.

Old 04-24-12, 08:08 AM
Zrane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I like a good cup of coffee, I'm also lazy and just drink the dirt coffee at work. Our water's so bad that any attempt to make a quality cup would be futile.
Old 04-24-12, 10:58 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Sawtooth
I just switch to green tea at work.

My new (to me) road bike only has a downtube bottle cage, not a seat tube one, and my coffee cup that works well enough on the seat tube cage of my other bikes leaks too much when angled for the downtube, so on road bike days I don't bring the last of the pot from home with me, but on other days (which are the vast majority of days) I can have that one last blast.
Old 04-24-12, 12:11 PM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gevad
What a good idea! I've been lugging a metal thermos bottle in my backpack, and this sounds much better. Is this the one you got?

https://www.amazon.com/Bubba-Brands-H...5273258&sr=8-1

Thanks.
That's the very one. Really keeps coffee hot a long time, and fits bottle cages perfectly. It is also leak-proof, unlike other mugs I have tried.
Old 04-24-12, 01:13 PM
gunner65

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll for Street and Airborne Hobgoblin for dirt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Press, beans, grinder, and favorite cup live on my desk at work. I am also a beer geek but I cannot do that at work.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.