Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Eye protection

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Eye protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-12, 02:35 PM
SuperGregNo1

Bikes: MGX Atlas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eye protection from wind

I have been having issues with my eyes getting irritated from the wind. I arrive at work and my eyes are red and stinging, and they water like crazy on a fast downhill to the point where I can hardly see. I wear sunglasses but I think I need something with more coverage, closer to safety glasses. Anybody else with the same issue? Have you found some cycling specific glasses that address the problem?

Last edited by SuperGregNo1; 04-24-12 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-24-12, 03:03 PM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nope, during the Spring and Fall when the bugs along my river route are worst, I use the close-fitting clear safety glasses from Home Depot made by MSA

https://tinyurl.com/7or3yk8
Old 04-24-12, 03:05 PM
lhbernhardt
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've always used Oakley M Frames with the "Sweep" lens. The "Heater" is the same shape, but much larger, but I would think it protects better. They no longer make the M Frames, but you can still get lenses on eBay. Not sure how the newer Oakleys (Radar & whatever they're using now) work. But all the Oakleys are overpriced. I only started using them when I was on a team and Oakley was one of the sponsors, and they've lasted this long. But I would think any cheap (but good quality) wraparounds would work the same.

Luis
Old 04-24-12, 03:12 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
I've always used Oakley M Frames with the "Sweep" lens. The "Heater" is the same shape, but much larger, but I would think it protects better. They no longer make the M Frames, but you can still get lenses on eBay. Not sure how the newer Oakleys (Radar & whatever they're using now) work. But all the Oakleys are overpriced. I only started using them when I was on a team and Oakley was one of the sponsors, and they've lasted this long. But I would think any cheap (but good quality) wraparounds would work the same.

Luis
I totally agree with the oakley's being way overpriced.

I was in the exact same boat as the OP, except not only wind, but falling debris from trees (spring time) and flying insects. Sunglasses don't work, cycling glasses may work but are overpriced safety glasses. Luckily we have a safety supply store here in Portland, I got a pair of these https://sandersonsafety.mycartssl.com...7452414D4B107A Very adjustable, comfortable, and well worth the price. I used them all weekend, so much better than sunglasses! And, at under $6 for a pair, who cares if you lose them, get them stolen, or scratch them up.

Last edited by ben4345; 04-24-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-24-12, 03:39 PM
SuperGregNo1

Bikes: MGX Atlas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hah, so interestingly enough on overcast days where it's not going to be sunny I have worn safety glasses. I'll probably go pick up a tinted pair for sunny days as well.
Old 04-24-12, 03:44 PM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
There is plenty of bike specific eye protection out there, not sure why people are saying the M Frame is discontinued, as it is still avaliable on the Oakley website.

For Oakley value, not sure what the warranty is like in the US, but in the UK it's the best of any bike or bike related manufacture. Have had several pairs replaced when they were 10+ years old for a nominal sum. Yes you pay a premium up front, but unlike anyone else, they stand by their product.
Old 04-24-12, 05:19 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Any kind of wrap-around sunglasses will be hugely better at blocking wind and debris than regular sunglasses or prescription glasses. Most sunglasses are not very adjustable, so try a bunch on first. Prices on many good quality models are very reasonable (well under $50).
Old 04-24-12, 05:21 PM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personnaly I fitted a full face grinding shield that I cutted to shape directly on my helmet, I'll try to put pics later tonight. It's not very good looking but very effective and as it's not as close to the face as sunglasses when you sweat it does'nt drop on the shield
Old 04-24-12, 05:32 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There are a lot of relatively inexpensive wrap around glasses with interchangeable lenses. You can have clear for night and tinted for sun.

Search "Performance Bike" and "Nashbar". For glasses designed just for bicycles.
Old 04-24-12, 05:40 PM
usndoc2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've tried safety glasses in the past, but the cheap ones from home depot have a lot of optic distortion. I got a cheap pair of multi-lens glasses with clear frames from nashbar, and they work great.

I' be willing to bet that you don't need new glasses though. You probably need some over the counter allergy eye drops (visine A, clear eyes) now that spring is in the air.
Old 04-24-12, 05:45 PM
MattFoley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a pair of Tifosi fototecs, which are regular yellow lenses in low light, but transition to tinted in sunlight. It's a bit of a gimmick, but I have found that I'm never thinking "boy, it's bright out", so they actually seem to work well, and the transition is not noticeable when I'm wearing them...so I'm very pleased. Plus, they were a gift from the in-laws, so I'm doubly happy with them. Before I got the Tifosis, I used my old clear shooting glasses, which I think the shooting range comp'd for me...they work, but they're not nearly as comfortable as actual sunglasses.
Old 04-24-12, 05:49 PM
ben4345
Kitten Legion Master

Bikes: Fuji silhouette, Dawes SST-aL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by usndoc2011
I've tried safety glasses in the past, but the cheap ones from home depot have a lot of optic distortion. I got a cheap pair of multi-lens glasses with clear frames from nashbar, and they work great.

I' be willing to bet that you don't need new glasses though. You probably need some over the counter allergy eye drops (visine A, clear eyes) now that spring is in the air.
Some super cheap ones do distort, but not all them. Allergy eye drops would be a just be relief at the end of the day, OP is on the right track in preventing the problem.
Old 04-24-12, 05:50 PM
Confederate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The best glasses that I have yet found for cycling are Oakley Half Jackets. They aren't perfect, but they do a reasonably good job of protecting me from wind and preventing my eyes from tearing up. They are far superior to anything else that I have tried, but I haven't tried any of the Smith or Rudy Project products. Those two makers are often touted as great for cycling. In winter, I just ride with ski goggles. They may look funny, but people will cut you some slack on style points if you are cycling in Alaska in winter.
Old 04-24-12, 06:39 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by usndoc2011
I've tried safety glasses in the past, but the cheap ones from home depot have a lot of optic distortion.
I've been using the S&W Magnums ( https://www.safetyglassesusa.com/smitwesmagsa.html ) and the optics are very good and they hold up well. I like the smoke or mirrored for sun and the yellow for dark.
Old 04-24-12, 07:01 PM
john4789

Bikes: Surly Steamroller FG, Trek 800 SS MTB, Omega Tandem Sport

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Q: Need something like safety glasses
A: Use safety glasses

Seriously, they are cheap as all get out, can get shaded / clear / high viz versions. Why drop the kind of money on cycling specific glasses cost? I have a shaded pair and a clear pair. Best part? I don't care if they get scratched a little or broken *Guilt free.
Old 04-24-12, 07:28 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
And the dry eye can be helped by 'artificial tears' sorts of eye drops,
when you are off the street again.

'Refresh', an OTC one, comes in single use eyedroppers .
Old 04-24-12, 11:04 PM
mrleft2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On sale, safety glasses can be had for $1 at harbor freight, $2 for goggles. If we've already thrown fashion out the window, just Fred all out and go with the practical solution. Any amount of tint is unacceptably noticeable from dusk to dawn.
Old 04-25-12, 05:17 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my full face bike helmet, as I said, ugly but effective.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1709.jpg (95.4 KB, 33 views)
IMG_1710.jpg (93.9 KB, 26 views)
IMG_1711.jpg (85.0 KB, 28 views)
IMG_1712.jpg (88.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 04-25-12, 06:03 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakley wraparounds for when there is sun.

Clear wraparounds, cheap, from the local bike shop when it is dark.

Never ride without them.

z
Old 04-25-12, 07:47 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Get some wrap-around cycling glasses. Tifosis are reasonably priced, and on-line shops like Performance, REI, Nashbar and Sierra Trading Post often have other brands on sale. Eye drops also could help. Is there any possibility that you have allergies and stuff like pollen and dust are irritating your eyes?
Old 04-25-12, 08:49 AM
MK313

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oakleys are expensive sunglasses no doubt, but they are also very nice sunglesses. Their unobtanium rubber is very nice at gripping sweaty temples, and their distortion free lenses are really superb for peripheral vision. I like mine & find them to be a worthwile investment. If you have the money, they may well be worth it. Certainly safety goggles are another valid, significantly less expensive solution. Oakley also sells a pair of windjacket (or something like that) sunglesses that look like they would totally block the wind hitting your eyes. Unfortunately, they combine the pricing of Oakleys with the style of Safety goggles.
Old 04-25-12, 09:16 AM
curly666

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Specialized Robaix, Specialized Carmel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dramiscram
Here's my full face bike helmet, as I said, ugly but effective.
Neat, does anything come up from underneath. I ride a trail and at dusk it's like riding through a hailstorm from all the bugs, they are in your eyes, nose and you don't dare open your mouth. Was wondering if something like yours would help.
Old 04-25-12, 09:17 AM
st675

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using Oakley half jackets with polarized lenses for years. They keep my eyes clear and block quite a bit of wind for me. And they are oth only ones that seem to stand up very well to daily wear and use weather it be running, biking, overall sweating or just driving the car..
Old 04-25-12, 10:04 AM
sm1960

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by john4789
Q: Need something like safety glasses
A: Use safety glasses

Seriously, they are cheap as all get out, can get shaded / clear / high viz versions. Why drop the kind of money on cycling specific glasses cost? I have a shaded pair and a clear pair. Best part? I don't care if they get scratched a little or broken *Guilt free.
+1
Home depot carries some decent safety glasses that are comfortable and tinted for under $10. I got 2 pairs, one tinted dark for day and tinted yellow for low light.
Old 04-25-12, 10:21 AM
csmith2287

Bikes: 2012 Surly Cross x Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used the Tifosi Fototecs, nice glasses. One of the few 'roadie' things I indulge in. Safety glasses might work, but bike glasses are designed to keep the wind out of your eye. If saftey glasses work, more power to you. If not, I would 'indulge' in some road glasses. I can't speak from experience, but what I'm reading about Oakley here makes them worth a look. Be warned: you do get what you pay for... usually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.