Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Anybody using SQ-Labs grips/innerbarend?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Anybody using SQ-Labs grips/innerbarend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 11:21 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by irc
What I did with my flat bar bike was shorten the bars before fitting bar ends and wrapping them in bar tape.
When you think about it when drop bars are 40-46cm wide why do flat bars for using on road need to be 700 wide?
howdy irc. Ya, for mtbing wider is nice, and my old Scottish Specialized (was my Scottish brother-in-laws bike before) that I now use for my winter bike has older style narrow bars and they work great with the grips and bar ends that I use them for riding on the road. They do feel narrow the rare times I take it on mtb trails. My commuter bike is the one I slapped the wider newer mtb bars on, and while I agree about the width, I don't want to cut them down because 1- its really not a big deal, and 2- I might want to put them on my fatbike or whatever for when wider bars are nice to use in slow, twisty trails and or on snow etc.

PS, I'm the guy who mentioned that I'd be heading over to Scotland and bike around to see family, and am right now looking at flights for Aug. Still plan to head to Glasgow and then bike up to the Nairn area where my family is. You are still heading off to the States at the end of August aren't you? I recall you saying you got your maps a good while back. cheers
Old 07-15-23, 12:59 PM
irc

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Pacer, Spa Steel Tourer, Kona Kula

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
howdy irc. Ya, for mtbing wider is nice, and my old Scottish Specialized (was my Scottish brother-in-laws bike before) that I now use for my winter bike has older style narrow bars and they work great with the grips and bar ends that I use them for riding on the road. They do feel narrow the rare times I take it on mtb trails. My commuter bike is the one I slapped the wider newer mtb bars on, and while I agree about the width, I don't want to cut them down because 1- its really not a big deal, and 2- I might want to put them on my fatbike or whatever for when wider bars are nice to use in slow, twisty trails and or on snow etc.

PS, I'm the guy who mentioned that I'd be heading over to Scotland and bike around to see family, and am right now looking at flights for Aug. Still plan to head to Glasgow and then bike up to the Nairn area where my family is. You are still heading off to the States at the end of August aren't you? I recall you saying you got your maps a good while back. cheers
I like Nairn. My parents had a caravan there for years. Spent a lot of time there.

Yes. My flights are booked. San Francisco 9th Sept for a month ending up in San Diego.