Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is it that makes panniers not hip?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What is it that makes panniers not hip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 05:37 PM
ban guzzi
circus bear

Bikes: 97(?) GT Richochet, 00 Schwinn SuperSport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
meh...
Have both, use both. Time and a place for everything....
Old 06-27-08, 05:54 PM
QuickDraw
Trout!

Bikes: Fuji Absolute of unknown age, Framed Gravier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fastboy...7603504213103/

looks hip enough for me
Old 06-27-08, 05:59 PM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ragboy
Just wondering...
Ignorance mainly. Many new and prospective cyclists just haven't been exposed to panniers. They think cycling and associate images of the TDF/Road Racing, Track cycling, or Mounting bike racing. After all the images we see of cycling on TV are exactly these images. There are no televised events showing the use of racks and bags. I don't know about you guys, but it's been many a moon since a TV crew followed me around on a commute where my panniers were explained to an audience. On the other hand there are many movies showing kids packing up a backpack then climbing on a bike. (E.T. and Pay it Forward come to mind)

Last edited by Sirrus Rider; 06-28-08 at 12:30 AM. Reason: misspelled word leading to unclear meaning
Old 06-27-08, 06:08 PM
Geewhiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're speaking to pure asthetic hipness, I have nothing to say, but what about wind resistance!?
Old 06-27-08, 06:09 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ragboy
Just wondering...
Depends on what you consider "hip". There's not much cool or hip about plain black nylon panniers, true. But if you start using the ones from Rivendell, Gilles Berthoud, Basil, or Carradice, that's a different story. I have Carradice Kendal panniers---black cotton duck with leather straps. Retro understated cool, and they'll only get better with age.

Berthoud panniers are beautiful, but expensive. The Basil panniers come in funky cool patterns.
Old 06-27-08, 06:12 PM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't like that I have to leave panniers on the bike when I go shopping. I prefer really really uncool metal baskets or really really hip messenger bags. NO IN BETWEEN
Old 06-27-08, 06:16 PM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
panniers make my butt look big
Old 06-27-08, 11:14 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sirrus Rider
Ignorance mainly. Many new and prospective cyclists just haven't been exposed to panniers. They think cycling and associate images of the TDF/Road Racing, Track cycling, or Mounting bike racing. After all the images we see of cycling on TV are exactly these images. There are no televised events showing the use of racks and bags. I don't know about you guys, but it's been may a moon since a TV crew followed me around on a commute where my panniers were explained to an audience. On the other hand there are many movies showing kids packing up a backpack then climbing on a bike. (E.T. and Pay it Forward come to mind)
good points
Old 06-27-08, 11:16 PM
ragboy
actin' the foo

Bikes: several

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RogerB
Who gives a ****?
Welcome to BF, Mr. Personality.
Old 06-27-08, 11:27 PM
HeIncreasesMe

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think panniers are sooo tight. I wish I could find some really nice ones on sale. I just have some grocery panniers and a trunk bag right now.
Old 06-27-08, 11:55 PM
lisitsa

Bikes: Old 12-speed commuter, When I earn enough I'll get a fixed KHS flite 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have tried panniers. The major problem is that they are not simple. A bike is so pure and simple in its purpose. Panniers have flappy straps, and bounce up on the rack. The rack itself has pin joints which wobble and rattle and shake. The panniers put more weight on the rear wheel which affects the steering.

Now ok if you've got some hybrid with big fat tubes and a millions lights connected, a kickstand, and these fat balloons of tyres, you might be happy to add to its bulk a bit. But if you have a nice and simple singlespeed or road bike, then all the precise and handling and light feel to it is absolutely ruined.
Old 06-28-08, 12:27 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
To me, this is the ultimate in bike coolness:

My bands:
Old 06-28-08, 12:27 AM
Sirrus Rider
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lisitsa
I have tried panniers. The major problem is that they are not simple. A bike is so pure and simple in its purpose. Panniers have flappy straps, and bounce up on the rack. The rack itself has pin joints which wobble and rattle and shake. The panniers put more weight on the rear wheel which affects the steering.

Now ok if you've got some hybrid with big fat tubes and a millions lights connected, a kickstand, and these fat balloons of tyres, you might be happy to add to its bulk a bit. But if you have a nice and simple singlespeed or road bike, then all the precise and handling and light feel to it is absolutely ruined.

Sounds like you may not have had the right rack or panniers. If the rack (and the panniers!) are attached correctly they won't rattle. In fact they should feel like they are an integral part of the bike. As for altering the feel, my '07 Sirrus feels as nimble with the panniers on as without. When I ride the Monitor Pass with a single front pannier is the only time I get a little performance degradation mostly from quick right hand turns when the pannier adds some inertia.
Old 06-28-08, 12:39 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have tried panniers. The major problem is that they are not simple. A bike is so pure and simple in its purpose. Panniers have flappy straps, and bounce up on the rack.
Cheap panniers do, yes. Well-built panniers are nothing like this.

The rack itself has pin joints which wobble and rattle and shake. The panniers put more weight on the rear wheel which affects the steering.
Again, the quality of the rack matters enormously. A good rack is welded together. (There are some good racks that are not.)

I frequently ride with just two front panniers, often very heavy ones. When using all four, I front-load the bike. Putting heavy stuff on the bottom and balancing the weight left-to-right helps a lot as well. My Randonee is a bit slower with a load but actually more stable with one than without.

Road bikes are usually not built to handle a load, so of course the weight ruins the ride. Touring bikes and mountain bikes handle loads quite well. To my mind, a bike that doesn't handle a load is pretty much useless for anything other than recreation.

My bands:
Old 06-28-08, 12:50 AM
TalkingHead
Commie

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, old Haro(92)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think i have seen exactly ONE messenger in las vegas. They drop your sunday paper off via car or pick up.

i plan to pick up some sort of pannier or bag system soon, the backpack is getting heavy on rides down to the store or whatever.
Old 06-28-08, 12:55 AM
neilfein

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Schwinnrider
Berthoud panniers are beautiful, but expensive. The Basil panniers come in funky cool patterns.

My god, they have shoelaces on them. This is so cool.

My bands:
Old 06-28-08, 12:56 AM
thirdin77

Bikes: 09 Specialized Tricross Sport

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They don't look hip because they're purely functional, and naked functionality is the antithesis of hipness which itself is often such because it's so unfunctional. The high-heeled shoe or the scarf worn in the summer are perfect examples.
Old 06-28-08, 04:06 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a messenger bag on a bike once, a couple years ago. I'm not doing that again.

I used to wear a backpack while riding. I'm not doing that again, either. Especially not when it's over 90.

For me there are two good ways to carry stuff on a bike.
1. Panniers. For a little bit of stuff frame bags and seat bags work too, so I include them here.
2. Trailer.

Is that hip? Who cares?
Old 06-28-08, 10:31 PM
devianb

Bikes: 2008 Dawes Haymaker 20XX Leader LD515 TotoCycling Road Bike

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by tjspiel
Panniers turn bikes into the cycling equivalent of a minivan or stationwagon. It's possible to be hip and practical at the same time, but it's not easy.
That is what I was thinking. There are times when they would come in real handy, but it just doesn't go with my style. I'm vain like that.
Old 06-28-08, 10:39 PM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Holy sh*t, I'm touring with 5 panniers...

I guess I'm not hip.
Old 06-29-08, 12:05 AM
SqueakyOnion

Bikes: Trek 720 Multitrack

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you don't really care how others think of you, and thus don't care who thinks you are or are not "hip," the question becomes irrelevant. I see a bicycle as a tool to get the job done. Panniers or no panniers, depends on the task at hand. Its nice to not have an ugly bike to my own eye, but utility always comes before looks.

Another perfect example of this is the umbrella hat. Who actually wears them? Well, I do. They're so incredibly practical, even if they look absurd.
Old 06-29-08, 06:47 AM
theWolf
Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Allez Double

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers make you look like your riding with a purpose. That's cool right? I really only plan on using them when I have too. The wind hates my panniers.
Old 06-29-08, 06:51 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
panniers and the utility bike phenomenon are definitely catching on as a cool look in american bike cities.....

fixies and messenger bags are flop.
Old 06-29-08, 07:04 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
flop?

How about a SS with panniers? I am so cool!
Is a road bike with a messenger bag cool? lol

I like messenger bags, backpacks, panniers, and rack trunk bags. There is a time and place for each of this.
Old 06-29-08, 07:16 AM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't be caught dead with panniers. I carry my day's supply in my Blowfish. When I need to carry more gear, I'll drive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.