Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike touring jobs

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 03:38 AM
brenzo08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike touring jobs

Hi new to the website so hope I'm posting in the right place.

I am looking for bike touring jobs anywhere around the world and i was wandering if anyone could help push me in the right direction or have information on how I can get into this. I have no experience in the field only that I'm an avid cyclist and I'm looking for a career change so I know I'll have to start at the bottom and willing to do whatever training necessary.

I am 32 from the UK any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-23, 03:54 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 610 Times in 367 Posts
What's a bike touring job? Like a touring bike guide, or a support crew or something?

I'm not sure there are many companies hiring guides, but I think there's probably a pretty good market for someone who can organise and support a 2-3 day bike tour somewhere interesting. I'm not sure it'd pay a full time salary though, most of the bike guides I know use it to essentially get the cycling hobby to pay for itself.
Old 05-22-23, 04:00 AM
brenzo08

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herzlos
What's a bike touring job? Like a touring bike guide, or a support crew or something?

I'm not sure there are many companies hiring guides, but I think there's probably a pretty good market for someone who can organise and support a 2-3 day bike tour somewhere interesting. I'm not sure it'd pay a full time salary though, most of the bike guides I know use it to essentially get the cycling hobby to pay for itself.
yeah sorry poor choice of words from myself. Yeah just looking at bike tours in South america or south Africa where they do long trips and wanted to get into something like that just don't know where to start
Old 05-22-23, 05:08 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3712 Post(s)
Liked 5,570 Times in 2,820 Posts
Contact the companies offering these tours, ask about employment?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-22-23, 09:08 AM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
When I think of jobs in a field such as this, what comes to mind are Social Media Influencer or Content Creator.

I think to make those a career, you have to do the following:

1) Get really good at shooting and editing video, and at writing and photography, if you want to make a blog.
2) Concurrently with the step above, develop your personal brand and media presence.
3) Network with other influencers, outfitters/guides, gear manufacturers and retailers... anyone in the industry
4) Arrange your lifestyle and finances in way that allows for fulltime bike touring.
5) Find a niche that might not be covered by others, or that many people are likely to take interest in

It can be tough to make a living in this field, but some folks have figured out how to do so. I think it's like most things: determination and patience are critically important. I suspect most of the people who are making it work did not approach it as a deliberate career choice. Rather, they started publishing videos as a hobby while keeping another job to pay the bills, and eventually became successful enough to take it fulltime.

I believe guide/outfitter services usually emerge "organically," led by enthusiasts who are native to the location and already intimately familiar with it. I suppose it's possible to move into a new area and set up shop in this industry, but succeeding would be more difficult. In other words, if you're from UK and would like to work in Africa or So. America, you might have to first move there and get very familiar with local conditions, economy, language, etc. Otherwise, I'd echo the advice above to contact companies already in the business and inquire about employment.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 05-22-23, 09:39 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18476 Post(s)
Liked 15,757 Times in 7,404 Posts
Sounds like the OP is looking for employment with an established company, not starting his own company.
Old 05-22-23, 04:05 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Ask for the job. That's how I got on with Vermont Bicycle Touring four decades ago.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 05-22-23, 08:00 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18476 Post(s)
Liked 15,757 Times in 7,404 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Ask for the job. That's how I got on with Vermont Bicycle Touring four decades ago.
You might be able to save this thread by relating some of your experiences. It’s a subject that I don’t think has been discussed here in a long time.

I have participated in several organized tours, both supported and unsupported. I’ve seen all sorts of behavior from participants. One of the terrific leaders of my unsupported cross country tour (We “fired” the original leader” the original leader.) said something about working a tour that really stuck with me: “It’s never about you.”
Old 05-22-23, 10:04 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 625 Times in 350 Posts
Where ever you go, speaking the native language would probably be a requirement
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 05-22-23, 10:15 PM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 327 Posts
Not sure if still true, but at one point Airbnb allowed hosts to post "experiences" for booking. Leading bike tours fell into that category. But that's not what you're asking about.

Do a Google search on bike tours in the regions you're interested in, and contact the company regarding tour guide positions.
Old 05-22-23, 11:03 PM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
If i was OP's age and wanted career out of touring, I probably would start small and see if i could get a group of riders and go for a one day riding event 50-60 miles or so locally, See how it goes. gain some experience and go for bigger. There are online platforms that you can connect with other peole having the same interests gosls and honbies. very good luck to you. its not going to be easy like getting a job at a corporation (e. g. REI has organized tours and probably employees supporting those tours) but it would be more fullfilling to start small and stsrt your own .