Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Bent Newbie Advice - What to look for?

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-10, 08:53 PM
cannonman

Bikes: 20006 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3, 2010 Cannondale Adventure 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, all.

I've got a really bad back and I think I'm going to make the jump to a recumbent bike by the end of the year. I've been pouring over web pages and manufacturer sites and the more I read, more questions I have, the more puzzled I become. I'm hoping some of you guys can get me pointed in the right direction.

What I'm looking for is something that has enough speed to maintain 19-20mph so I can keep up with the guys I currently ride with. I mostly do 30+ miles each ride and do a number of century rides charity rides throughout the year, so I need something that is comfortable, too.

LWB vs. SWB?

I see some trikes have 26" wheels and some that have 700c rear wheels. Even the 26" wheel model descriptions seem to point that they are for speed, but I would expect the ones with a 700c driving wheel to be faster. Any opinions? Should I rule out those with a 26" rear wheel?

What's the real difference between trikes with two weeks in the front as opposed to two in the rear? Handling, performance, speed, ride comfort, all of the above?

Should I rule out trikes altogether and stick with a two-wheel model? I see that Catrike has a new two-wheeler that looks awesome, the Musashi - and that is probably at the high end of what I would want to spend. Opinions?

Are there any manufacturers that I should stay clear of? Ideally, I would like to keep the cost down as much as possible, but would like to get a good balance of cost/quality/performance. I did run across a manufacturer/importer called ActionBent.com. They also have some that are FWD. Any advantage/disadvantages to that? Any opinions on the company?

All opinions and comments are welcome. I need to learn as much as possible before taking the plunge.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-10, 09:30 AM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
High racers probably best for cycling with diamond frame cyclists; try out many.

If you have not already done so, I suggest you also pose this question on BentRiderOnline's message board.

My trike experience is virtually nil. However, my understanding is that the tadpole configuration (two wheels in front, one in rear) tends to be more manouverable and with more models available, these provide the potentially fastest trikes. On the other hand, they also tend to be the most difficult to get in and out of, which might be a consideration with your back problems. Trikes tend to be slower than equivalent two wheel recumbents due to more weight, more wheels. and smaller diameter wheels. Finally, trikes do not "mix" as well with upright diamond frames ("DF's" in recumbent forums) because you are so much lower.

Two wheel recumbents are potentially faster than trikes and sometimes faster than DF's. The faster recumbent bicycles tend to be high, mid or low racers or any recumbent with fairings of the tail, front or both including a full-length socked or hard shell fairing. However, in courses with significant climbs, recumbents tend to be slower than DF's due to slightly higher weight at a given price-point and perhaps some physiological effects as you are inclined more feet-up. Also note that initially, even with a fast recumbent, you will be slower than on a DF until your muscles etc. adapt to the recumbent position. This can take many months and over 1000 miles.

High racers probably mix the best with DF's because they locate you near the height of DF's and for the same reason provide a comparable view of the road. The dual 26"/650C/700C ones will be fastest. Ones to consider include various Volae models, Bacchetta models, a few Rans models, and the much more expensive but light and fast Carbent models (I think those are all the US high racers in production). There are a number of European models but these are not widely carried in the US. If you live near BentUpCycles, AngleTech or Recumbent Bike Riders these European models would be worth considering also.

Finally, as you will also be told by others, try as many different types and makes of recumbents for as long a rides as possible before making a decision. Best of luck with your back and exploring the recumbent universe.

p.s. One other consideration in recumbents cycling with DF's is that the incline and wind vs speed profiles are different. The DF's will tend to be faster uphill while the recumbents faster downhill, on flats or into the wind. This can lead to a "yo-yo" effect, each type passing the other depending on the conditions. If riding in a group, on a recumbent you might always draft coming up to or on the hills but take the lead more often on downhills, flats, or into the wind. This would play to the strengths of each platform and keep the group together. With a high racer, you can offer some draft to following DF's; much less so with mid, low or any well faired recumbent.

Last edited by Giro; 04-26-10 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-26-10, 02:10 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
If you want to ride with uprights at relatively high speeds, you DON'T want a trike. Of a dozen trikes in my club, the average cruise speed is about 12-13 mph. This is among riders who have uprights too, and routinely ride them at 18-20 mph. Among trikes, and probably by extension among recumbent bikes too, the size of the drive wheel affects gearing and tire choices; and ultimately this affects speed capability. Simply put, 20" drive wheels will result in a slower machine.

I agree that a highracer is probably the best choice for mixing with uprights. You'll be closer to their height, and the speed profile will more closely approximate theirs. Even so, uphills will be more work and you'll have to ride your brakes more on downhills. Among highracers, lighter will be better; to help minimize your disadvantage on climbs. I think the sweet spot for performance/price would be something like the Bacchetta Corsa, followed by RANS F5 and Volae Club. Direct-market companies like ActionBent are getting better, but they still run a bit heavier than their more-expensive brand-name competitors.
Old 04-26-10, 02:37 PM
Pockets

Bikes: Rans V2-Catrike Expedition

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have to agree with Giro & BlazingPedals. I pretty much ride my trike exclusively and they are not as fast as the 2 wheel recumbents . They gave some good suggestions but I would add Lighting to the mix just to confuse you more. The Lighting P-38 is a very fast recumbent and has good hill climbing abilities. Again just my 2 cents. The key is to ride as many different models as possible and the bike will pick you . You will just know
Old 04-26-10, 03:27 PM
cannonman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome, guys. Excellent info!

Very much appreciated!!
Old 04-26-10, 09:25 PM
Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With your back, you may need to customize the seat fit

The type of performance oriented recumbents that best fit your needs will probably have a seat that is mesh over a frame (e.g. the Bacchetta Euromesh or Rans Hogie) or a molded hard shell, usually of carbon fiber (e.g. Volae Hardshell).

These seats are intended to be used fairly reclined, say 35 degrees or less. This much recline may make it a bit challenging on your first high/mid/low racer rides. If you go to a dealer with a variety of recumbent types, you can start off with recumbents that do not put your feet above the seat and use seats intended to be used more upright. Then you can graduate to a highracer and one of the lighter, faster seats. To properly use these seats, you are lying on you back more than sitting on you rear.

You also should be aware that, particularly with a back problem, you may have to add some firm padding under the seat's cover to give your back the support it needs where it needs it. For example, see the thread Euromesh and lower back pain? This is another reason to visit a dealer with several recumbents and seat types and sizes. While you can change the seat's contour, it is difficult to change the seat to shoulder distance. Thus you want to be sure this is long enough but no too much longer. Note that of the US highracer vendors, Volae offers the most hardshell seat sizes, four. If you are difficult to fit, consider them.

Last edited by Giro; 04-26-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-27-10, 05:33 AM
cannonman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! My local dealer carries a wide range and also carries Volae. I rode my first recumbent a few weeks ago, a high-racer, though I forgot which make/model. I did okay the first time out - a little shaky, but okay. Needless to say, it was much different than a DF bike. Kind of strange, but kind of cool. I definitely need to go back and try out some more.