Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-20, 08:04 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
Yep no holes, no tape. I bought the LB pads but I might go with Swissstop. Wasn’t sure how LB handled that. Lots of wheel manufacturers want you to use their pad only.
Old 05-17-20, 07:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Yep no holes, no tape. I bought the LB pads but I might go with Swissstop. Wasn’t sure how LB handled that. Lots of wheel manufacturers want you to use their pad only.
Folks also swear by the Campy red pads for carbon fwiw.
Old 05-18-20, 02:59 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Spoke holes make wheel building easier. No spoke holes means no fussing with rim tape; particularly with tubeless, that'd be nice.
I was wondering: How do you even build a wheel with no spoke holes to feed the nipples from the other side? How do you get the spoke nipple inside of the rim, since the bottom part is wider than the hole by design?
Old 05-18-20, 03:51 AM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
I was wondering: How do you even build a wheel with no spoke holes to feed the nipples from the other side? How do you get the spoke nipple inside of the rim, since the bottom part is wider than the hole by design?
Fed through valve stem hole and brought to spoke hole with a magnetic.
Old 05-18-20, 04:12 AM
maartendc

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
Fed through valve stem hole and brought to spoke hole with a magnetic.
Wow, that sounds like a nightmare to deal with! I guess I will order mine with holes, in case I ever need to replace a spoke!
Likes For maartendc:
Old 05-18-20, 07:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by InvertedMP
Ordered! Can't wait to ride them!

Here is the specs:
DT SWISS 350 QR / 100mm straight pull Non Disc Black 20H
DT SWISS 350 QR / 130mm Shimano Road 11S straight pull Non Disc Black 24H 54T
SPOKE Sapim CX Ray
NIPPLE Sapim Brass Black
AR46 hook Non Disc - Grooved Graphene Surface 20H matte UD Without Holes
AR46 hook Non Disc - Grooved Graphene Surface 24H matte UD Without Holes

Decal: Stealth

Are the LB pads the way to go, or what are people using with better success?
I had good luck with Swissstop Black Prince pads. As mentioned, they wear out quick, but it's better to wear out the brake pad than the rim, imo. Braking performance was good, for rim brakes with carbon wheels.

Originally Posted by noodle soup
Rides4Beer might be able to help with brake pad experiences. I'm a disc brake guy.
I am now too! lol After getting my gravel bike last summer, I was completely sold on discs, so now my road bike is disc too.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 05-18-20, 09:34 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
How stiff are these rims. After having good luck with EBay, I finally got burned a bit. Bought a 88mm carbon rim. When I got it, the walls were like paper. It might have been okay for a road wheel, but way too flexible for a track wheel.
Old 05-19-20, 12:04 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
How stiff are these rims. After having good luck with EBay, I finally got burned a bit. Bought a 88mm carbon rim. When I got it, the walls were like paper. It might have been okay for a road wheel, but way too flexible for a track wheel.
I’m going to be honest, I don’t think my WR56 wheels are the stiffest in the world. Most people measure stiffness by looking at rim edge to rim edge, and of course, a super deep carbon rim is going to be way stiffer end to end than a shallow alloy rim. There’s more material across the same distance.

However, few people ever measures stiffness from the spoke hole to the tire bead. A 25mm deep rim is going to have to deal with less leverage than a 56mm deep rim. I think that is the “X factor” that separates amazing carbon wheels from meh ones. Corima, for example, has a torsion bar in all of their rims to reduce flex in that area.

I enjoy climbing way more on my cheapo alloy wheelset. My hypothesis is that it’s because there is less spoke hole to tire bead flex. I assume this is what you’re talking about, and not the amount of flex at the “brake track” which is almost purely dictated by spoke stiffness.

I highly recommend getting 28-32 Race or CX-Sprint spokes for track. I get a considerable amount of brake rub from my 24 CX-rays (on my WR56) and I weigh 140ish lbs.

I’m fairly uneducated about this topic and didn’t think rim stiffness mattered until I bought these wheels. So ofc I’m open to having my mind changed.
Old 05-19-20, 12:14 AM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I’m going to be honest, I don’t think my WR56 wheels are the stiffest in the world. Most people measure stiffness by looking at rim edge to rim edge, and of course, a super deep carbon rim is going to be way stiffer end to end than a shallow alloy rim. There’s more material across the same distance.

However, few people ever measures stiffness from the spoke hole to the tire bead. A 25mm deep rim is going to have to deal with less leverage than a 56mm deep rim. I think that is the “X factor” that separates amazing carbon wheels from meh ones. Corima, for example, has a torsion bar in all of their rims to reduce flex in that area.

I enjoy climbing way more on my cheapo alloy wheelset. My hypothesis is that it’s because there is less spoke hole to tire bead flex. I assume this is what you’re talking about, and not the amount of flex at the “brake track” which is almost purely dictated by spoke stiffness.

I highly recommend getting 28-32 Race or CX-Sprint spokes for track. I get a considerable amount of brake rub from my 24 CX-rays (on my WR56) and I weigh 140ish lbs.

I’m fairly uneducated about this topic and didn’t think rim stiffness mattered until I bought these wheels. So ofc I’m open to having my mind changed.
Have you ever read this article? Your brake rub is exactly what he's describing about halfway down. If this article is correct your problem isn't that your rim isn't stiff enough, it's that it's too stiff and your 24 CX-Rays can't keep the rim from tilting (not bending) in the curves. Maybe CX-Sprints would have just that little bit extra stretch resistance to keep the rim from rubbing the brakes, or maybe four more spokes would do it. I think that article was written specifically to contextualize wheel stiffness in situations exactly like yours.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 05-19-20, 01:08 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
The wheel lacks lateral stiffness. It’s fine on the straights but gets a little squirrelly on the banks. I have some Zipp 808 wheels that are rock solid, so I know it’s possible. I just need to find the right rim.
Old 05-19-20, 11:25 AM
SethAZ 

We're all familiar with the way communications technology has given us the ability to obsess and track our packages every step of the way. Who hasn't refreshed their FedEx or UPS or USPS tracking page multiple times per day knowing that their package is still 2-3 days out, but they just want to see where it's at right now? Light-Bicycle pushes this back even further, to the very manufacturing stages. After a few days of sitting in some generic "Processing" stage, suddenly this morning my Light-Bicycle order tracking page jumped straight to "CNC Machining." Since I ordered a rim that won't be painted nor built into a wheel, and knowing I'll not see this rim for weeks and weeks yet thanks to Covid-related shipping issues, I got that little burst of happy hormones in the brain just knowing they've made my rim, are about to check it for quality, and then drop it into some black hole from which it will hopefully emerge sometime next month and magically appear on my porch.

Also, I paid for a custom logo, so they literally did make this rim just for me, since with their new process for the "Falcon Pro" level builds they apply the decals before the cabon layup is put in the mold so their decal is baked into the rim surface.
Old 05-19-20, 11:53 AM
smashndash

Originally Posted by SethAZ
Have you ever read this article? Your brake rub is exactly what he's describing about halfway down. If this article is correct your problem isn't that your rim isn't stiff enough, it's that it's too stiff and your 24 CX-Rays can't keep the rim from tilting (not bending) in the curves. Maybe CX-Sprints would have just that little bit extra stretch resistance to keep the rim from rubbing the brakes, or maybe four more spokes would do it. I think that article was written specifically to contextualize wheel stiffness in situations exactly like yours.
If you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I said exactly the same thing.

I discuss 2 types of wheel flex. I’m not going to reiterate my post.
Old 05-19-20, 04:28 PM
SethAZ 

Originally Posted by smashndash
If you had read my post carefully, you would have seen that I said exactly the same thing.

I discuss 2 types of wheel flex. I’m not going to reiterate my post.
I did read your post, actually. To clarify, if you're brushing the brake pad because the rim itself between the spoke-hole edge of it and the tire bead isn't stiff enough, then your positing that the entire rim all the way around is bending through that region such that that bend induced by the contact with the ground at one angle results in flex on the opposite side of the rim in the opposite direction, right? I'm having a hard time seeing that happening. I would think that a non-stiff rim through the central region of the rim between the spoke holes and the tire bead area would behave more like a non-stiff rim in the examples in that linked article, and be less likely to brush the brakes.

So how are you so sure that it's the rim that's at fault for your brushing the brakes against the rim, and not your spokes being unable to keep the whole rim from tilting?
Old 05-19-20, 04:36 PM
smashndash

Originally Posted by SethAZ
I did read your post, actually. To clarify, if you're brushing the brake pad because the rim itself between the spoke-hole edge of it and the tire bead isn't stiff enough, then your positing that the entire rim all the way around is bending through that region such that that bend induced by the contact with the ground at one angle results in flex on the opposite side of the rim in the opposite direction, right? I'm having a hard time seeing that happening. I would think that a non-stiff rim through the central region of the rim between the spoke holes and the tire bead area would behave more like a non-stiff rim in the examples in that linked article, and be less likely to brush the brakes.

So how are you so sure that it's the rim that's at fault for your brushing the brakes against the rim, and not your spokes being unable to keep the whole rim from tilting?
“I assume this is what you’re talking about, and not the amount of flex at the “brake track” which is almost purely dictated by spoke stiffness.”

I specifically said that flex at the brake track is caused by spokes not being stiff enough. We are in violent agreement here.

Spoke hole to bead stiffness is what I think dictates the snappiness of the rim - I assume this is what one would care about on the track. It’s also what matters when talking about lateral stiffness in corners. It doesn’t matter how stiff your spokes are if the rim pivots around the spokes’ anchor point.

This is a good video:

Last edited by smashndash; 05-19-20 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-21-20, 01:26 PM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those who ordered recently, have you received your FedEx deliveries and have you been charged duties? Curious to see if FedEx might be more strict vs. USPS on deliveries as it may make sense to order from the North American warehouse.
Old 05-22-20, 09:19 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Anyone own the Falcon Pro in flyweight? I'm around 70 kg's and worried a 1200 gram 35mm deep rim might flex or get damaged easily on some bumpy roads.
Old 05-23-20, 06:40 AM
holybinch

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Immelstorm
Hello everyone! I wonder does anybody have problems concerning deliverance of LightBicycle wheelsets now? I ordered a wheelset on the 25 of March. On the 20 of April it was finished and ready to be sent. And since then I receive letters from them< that they are having problems with EMS and cannot send me my wheels.

Did anybody come across this problem the last month?
I'm in the same boat:
For COVID-19, there are a few freight lines, the package is still in Hongkong waiting for the flight. It may take 7-12 days waiting for the schedule. Once the Package leaves HK to the customs clearance, normally it takes 7-9 business days, then the local post will dispatch you soon.
So, a few more weeks to wait for me. Initial estimate had them arriving last wednesday :'(
Old 05-24-20, 04:34 AM
Immelstorm

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirkaus
This is the first I heard this. Have you contacted them about a resolution? I ordered a set on April 24th, and they just cleared QC and are in the que to be built. I'm hoping they have this problem solved by shipping time.
Originally Posted by holybinch
I'm in the same boat:
For COVID-19, there are a few freight lines, the package is still in Hongkong waiting for the flight. It may take 7-12 days waiting for the schedule. Once the Package leaves HK to the customs clearance, normally it takes 7-9 business days, then the local post will dispatch you soon.
So, a few more weeks to wait for me. Initial estimate had them arriving last wednesday :'(
And there is still no guarantee that the package will be sjipped within the menioned time.

They asked me to wait till the end of may to get known what the situtation will be. I've looked up in te internet and found that the nearest time of package arrival via EMS will be on 20th of August! That's the end of summer, I need the wheelset earlier =)

I cancelled the order and they gave my money back.
Old 05-24-20, 04:44 AM
holybinch

Well, mine are in HK at the moment. But yeah, it blows.
Old 05-24-20, 07:44 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Immelstorm

They asked me to wait till the end of may to get known what the situtation will be. I've looked up in te internet and found that the nearest time of package arrival via EMS will be on 20th of August.
Could you post a link to the information you found about EMS please?
Old 05-26-20, 11:59 AM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For those in the US, what shipping options have you been offered as an alternative to EMS? While I could potentially order from the North American warehouse, they don't offer brass spoke-nipples or the no-spoke options.
Old 05-26-20, 12:08 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by intence
For those in the US, what shipping options have you been offered as an alternative to EMS? While I could potentially order from the North American warehouse, they don't offer brass spoke-nipples or the no-spoke options.
E-mail them. I'm sure they can handle the substitution.
Old 05-26-20, 12:28 PM
holybinch

Well, mine are in HK at the moment. But yeah, it blows.
And now they've made their way to Czech Republic it seems.
God knows where from there, but I'm next door in Poland, so hopefully not too long to wait for :|
Old 05-26-20, 01:20 PM
intence

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noodle soup
E-mail them. I'm sure they can handle the substitution.
I've reached out. My assumption is that the North American facility is assembly only, so spoke-nipples might be fine, but a rim without holes on the tire side needs to be taken care of during manufacturing.

They've changed wording now to show build time is 3-5 weeks (AR36/46) and EMS is 8-12 weeks. That's potentially 3-4 months. Alternatively, I can't find a comparable option that can do tubeless and traditional clinchers in a similar width from a mass manufacturer. The entry level options from Zipp for example are either not wide and not tubeless, or the newer options are hookless so traditional clinchers are out. So maybe waiting to have no spoke-hole, tubeless, and clincher compatibility isn't so bad.
Old 06-02-20, 05:43 AM
holybinch

And now they've made their way to Czech Republic it seems.
God knows where from there, but I'm next door in Poland, so hopefully not too long to wait for :|
A week in Czech Republic, and they started getting looked at by customs. They've been looked at for a whole 4 days now. Thorough inspection!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.