Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

I seem to have moved to a biking desert!

Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 03:18 AM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Hello,
I recently moved from Nashua, NH to Windham NH. Around Nashua, I used to see cyclists very often. And it was relatively easy to get to some of the popular biking areas like Harvard, MA from Nashua on bike.
Ever since I have moved to Windham, I rarely see any cyclists. Just 8 or 9 attempts on a segment are enough to make me a local legend on Strava!!
Am I missing the more favored routes around Windham? I have a couple of 25-30 mile loops around Windham that either go to Londonderry or Hudson. I need to find more back roads on the Hudson loop because I seem to be in traffic most of the way on that one.
Anyone here who is from around this area who can help me with some routes?
Cheers,
Amitoj
Likes For Amitoj:
Old 06-09-21, 05:20 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Have you checked local clubs in your area?
Granite State Wheelers Recreational Cycling Club (gswheelers.org)
Old 06-09-21, 11:33 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Are you familiar with cycling heat maps? They are a good source for seeing where people ride, although it doesn't tell you things like which bike, speed, direction, or time of day. This is useful if you're somewhat familiar with the area and don't mind doing your own planning. Google StreetView is also helpful to see what's ahead for roads you're not familiar with.
For actual routes, as Bald Paul mentioned, it might help to do a search for local clubs. Sometimes local bike shops have weekend rides and post info on their websites. Somewhat rarer, organized events in the area can be a good source of routes, but those are a bit more difficult to find.

Both Strava and RideWithGps have free public maps that you can browse. Garmin does too but only on the Connect app.
Strava now requires a paid account to plan routes; you can still plan for free with RWGPS but it won't display the heatmap unless you have a paid account.

You can also do a search based on location on RWGPS: https://ridewithgps.com/find

NHDOT has an excellent cycling resource with pre-planned routes and maps of roads with traffic counts: https://www.nh.gov/dot/programs/bikeped/maps/index.htm
https://nh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/weba...3b4a27eb271b37

It does seem that north-west of Nashua is a bit more popular than around Windham.

Last edited by autonomy; 06-09-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 05:03 PM
Amitoj

Bikes: Bianchi Campione, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Thanks for your replies, Bald Paul and autonomy.
First the heat maps. I don't find them too useful in areas that are not very well frequented by cyclists. Around Windham, it shows 111A and 108 as most frequented. But I have been on those roads. And they are not very enjoyable mainly due to heavy traffic.
About cycling clubs, GSW looks like a great option to explore. It's just that I am loath to put my bike in a car and drive to a start location. I could ride to start location if it is nearby and I have the time to spare. Will explore GSW for that option.