Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1993 Koga-Miyata World Traveller project (66cm frame)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1993 Koga-Miyata World Traveller project (66cm frame)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-20, 04:20 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
I'm always a bit surprised the Pacific Northwest looks so similar to Northern Europe.
Would the G-One Allround fit instead of the G-One Speed?
Good idea. 38 Allrounds easily fit without fenders so 35s may slide in there. Went with Speeds as my routes require 25-30 miles of pavement cycling to reach the gravel trailheads, but now that I think about it both models wear rather quickly and have similar rolling resistance, so maybe there's no downside to taller knobs
Likes For ctak:
Old 11-07-20, 08:07 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
That is some awesome work! I was thinking of doing something similar and share it on a Google Sheets online spreadsheet or just host an Excel file on my Onedrive. It depends a bit on support for pivot tables. I like those for visualizing all the data.

I spoke to someone today on the phone who has a large number of brochures and I plan to scan and digitize them so we all have more information than what is available now. Perhaps it will uncover a bit more data that you don't know yet.
Thank you! I am working on a better, official document/chart, though not Excel or Sheets as I'd like it a bit more permanent...or just able to format it the way I like! Lots more work, but should be exhaustive from 1984-2010.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 11-08-20, 04:06 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
As one of the first steps towards the restoration of this bike in my own style I contacted a company to make some new decals.

For those interested in the pictures and the sizes on this bike, take a look at this album: IMGur - 1993 Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller stickers

Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Thank you! I am working on a better, official document/chart, though not Excel or Sheets as I'd like it a bit more permanent...or just able to format it the way I like! Lots more work, but should be exhaustive from 1984-2010.
It all depends on what's your favourite way to work on things. I'm fairly competent with Excel and like it for visualizing large amounts of data. And it's very easy to share and manupulate for later.

Originally Posted by ctak
Good idea. 38 Allrounds easily fit without fenders so 35s may slide in there. Went with Speeds as my routes require 25-30 miles of pavement cycling to reach the gravel trailheads, but now that I think about it both models wear rather quickly and have similar rolling resistance, so maybe there's no downside to taller knobs
​​​​​​​Yeah I have heard similar stories about them. How quickly do they wear for you?

Last edited by JaccoW; 11-08-20 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-08-20, 05:26 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

It all depends on what's your favourite way to work on things. I'm fairly competent with Excel and like it for visualizing large amounts of data. And it's very easy to share and manupulate for later.
It does indeed. Since I don't consider the component and feature specs of various Koga-Miyata models to be complete--this is due to varying catalog information, quality of PDF scan (legibility), and not being able to speak/read Dutch, to say nothing of having only so much space and only being concerned with certain things--I choose to not use Excel. Koga-Miyata, through the years, shuffled names around, as well as evolved the specs and features of models as things went on. Nothing surprising, but it does make it a challenge to categorize!

I just completed cataloging the 66cm frames as seen in catalogs from 1984 through 2018. LOTS OF WORK. Now to split it into smaller chunks (it's basically a big long digital scroll right now) and create a thread of it for all of internet history to see.
Old 11-11-20, 05:57 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Frame blocks to remove dents. Sounds like a good DIY candidate right?

They are easy enough to make though tolerances are tricky to get right. And it turns out even 120kg (260 lbs) of clamping force hardly makes a dent.
I will probably try again some time with some better wood and a better construction method. But for now a dril bit and a hand saw was good enough.

I did manage to remove the ovality from 31mm to a little over 30mm on the widest point and up from 27mm to almost 28mm.

Old 11-11-20, 07:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Use a vise. Those clamps won't be enough.

-Kurt

Old 11-11-20, 08:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by cudak888
Use a vise. Those clamps won't be enough.
Jup, that's what I found out as well. It's what I had though. I'll order a vise soon and try again.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 11-21-20, 04:08 PM
alexnagui

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 64 Posts
Great find and a cool project, Jacco! A friend of mine has a World Traveller, I think. The top tube decal is gone you see, so I am not 100% sure

Bummer on the top tube dent, but I have dented top tubes on my bikes as well and I can live with them. I wouldn't bother with the blocks too much, if you plan to repaint the frame you can fill the dent with some filler material. Definetely stupid to put an extra saddle like that even for a child, I've seen a similar configuration on Marktplaats th other day, apparently it's a thing.

Friend's Koga Miyata, only a NDS picture unfortunately
Likes For alexnagui:
Old 11-22-20, 04:42 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by alexnagui
Great find and a cool project, Jacco! A friend of mine has a World Traveller, I think. The top tube decal is gone you see, so I am not 100% sure

Bummer on the top tube dent, but I have dented top tubes on my bikes as well and I can live with them. I wouldn't bother with the blocks too much, if you plan to repaint the frame you can fill the dent with some filler material. Definetely stupid to put an extra saddle like that even for a child, I've seen a similar configuration on Marktplaats th other day, apparently it's a thing.
I like NDS pics. They are rare and show much more of the frame than the standard DS shot. Without decals the only way to find out is to cross reference the colours. But there's a good chance that's a WorldTraveller or one of the other touring models of that time. Not many bikes that have the bottom bracket dynamo like that.

I spent some time the past few days to derust the inside of the top tube with oxalic acid. One side went pretty well and was fairly easy to seal but the front end was virtually impossible to seal due to the hole in the headtube. It was just too greasy for tape. Still, it showed the insides mostly had a thin layer of flyrust.
Another thing was the scanning of the 1993 brochure and specifications folder which can be found in the Show us your Koga-Miyata thread. There is a ton of information availble in the brochures, which I will be scanning the next few weeks, but it's also just very nice to see the difference in quality:

Koga's online brochure scan

My own 300 dpi scan.
Old 01-10-21, 05:09 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Right so while I took the WorldTraveller out to work on it this weekend I never managed to touch it and work on the dent in the top tube.

Instead I helped two neighbours on their bike, her old Gazelle ladies bike that she uses for commuting. The rear Shimano 4-speed hub didn't work anymore (no engagement whatsoever) so we spent a few hours taking it apart, cleaning and lubing it but no such luck. She had been riding it since she was 12 as a daily commuter but, as is quite normal here in the Netherlands, has mostly spent the bare minimum to keep it riding in the 20 years that she has had it. So now it's simply finished, the only option being replacing the innards of the hub or a new wheel.

Instead she opted for another option;
Rebuilding the 1995 Koga-Miyata Adventure mixte into a 1x7 bike. She used to ride for Koga so she was very pleased. Together we made it into something nice with the parts we still had lying around.
No pics yet but I just thought it was fun to share.

For my own bike I have been looking at some parts. I'm pretty sure the front will be a polished H+Son Archetype and silver anodized Son 28 Disc Center Lock but I'm still thinking about the rear hub.

On the one hand the SunXCD Large Flang hub that I have used on my Batavus Randonneur GL works well, fits the bill and is relatively affordable.
The other side in me wants a hub to match the front and is looking at similar high-quality options. These are all in the $400+ range so I'm still thinking on whether that's something I want to spend but other than that, let's fantasize for a bit.

Then I came across this video by BlueLug Japan where they test the sound of several hubs: (turn on subtitles if you want to get a feel of what they are talking about)

Two of them stood out for me;
  • The Phil Wood model because of its pleasant sound for a pawl spring based hub and its classy looks.
  • The Onyx Racing Products model because if its utter lack of sound.
    • The technology behind it is pretty cool too with its sprag clutch. Meaning extremely low drag when freewheeling, no noise and instant engagement. Reviews seem good too.
Time to ask them how they feel about touring on these.

Thanks for indulging my gear geeking. Now to see if I can find room in my budget for this.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-15-21, 10:16 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

I'm off for a weekend in the wilderness and hopefully some snow with the Koga-Miyata SilverAce but in the meantime I have ordered the first serious parts for the WorldTraveller.

The IRD Double RollerDrive threaded headset is a modern interpretation Stronglight A9 needle bearing headset and I've used it before on my Batavus Randonneur GL. It's a harder wearing headset which virtually eliminated any shimmy on my Batavus in the past.
Back then it was nearly impossible to find these for sale anywhere but when I checked online today I found a lot of them in the UK (shame I figured this out after they left the EU. Would have saved me some VAT ). Most notably VeloDuo, SJSCycles and SouthernDistributors. Rivendell seems to sell the needle bottom/ball top IRD NeedL BlastR where reviews mention similar anti-shimmy experiences.

Other than that a Velo Orange Randonneur front rack canti and a Velo Orange Mojave bottle cage.

Still contemplating whether I want to spring for a pair of silver Dia-Compe CR-X / Dia-Compe GC 999 cantilevers straight away as well but I guess I can wait till after the weekend.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 01-18-21, 05:53 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Got a response from Onyx today, looks like I know what I will be saving up for.

What I sent them:
Dear Onyx,

Do you recommend your hubs for touring use?

I am currently looking for a rear hub on a vintage 1993 Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller that I am currently rebuilding and completely overhauling.

A quick look at your site shows me the Onyx MTB CL HG-135/QR Rear Hub and the Onyx Vesper MTB CL HG-11SPD 135/QR Rear Hub as two potential options but would you recommend your hubs for touring use?
It will most likely be a randonneuring/front-loaded style of touring but I am fairly tall at 195cm (6'5") and weigh up to 100 kg (220lbs), though I hope to get back to pre-covid/Christmas levels when my commute picks up again later this year.

The frame fits a 135mm QR hub and I prefer to lace it up to a 36H wheel but 32H would be fine too.

Which one would you recommend and what reservations would you have?
Their response:
Hi Jacco!

Our Classic hub will be the one for you. You can do go with 36H in that hub, and it’s better suited to the power you’ll put into the drivetrain.

Thank you very much,
Old 01-29-21, 04:53 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Right, some more faffing about here while I wait for the first parts to arrive and decide on which frame blocks I want to order.

The headset and front rack are still stuck in customs but I was inspired by the '57 Lenton Grand Prix by Bulldog1935 and its use of the Simplex chainguard. Tom Wellington over on Flickr has a beautiful painted one on a Nishiki Century mixte.
So I found one on French eBay and bought it. The bashguard on the Batavus Randonneur GL works really well to prevent shredded trousers but I find my my clothing still dragging against the chain meaning everything still gets black and dirty.

Which led to me doing a bit more playing around in BikeCad and mostly modelling the chainguard and a different stem.
Still not sure on the cream vs. black tyres but whatever. I just like playing around with it for now.

Last edited by JaccoW; 01-29-21 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 09:26 AM
alexnagui

Those Onyx hubs seem to come in any possible color. Did you already order one?
If I had to go with a nice cassette hub myself, I would definetely try VO hubs, the feature of taking them apart without any tools is just great, isn't it? Apparently, they are made to last forever if bearings can be found easily.

That colour scheme above is great Is that the one you gonna go with? Do you already know where you gonna paint the frameset? Is the dent that bad that you do need those frame blocks? I feel like you can just use some filler material and call it done. One of the guys from SteelRides in Rotterdam is a frame builder, I bet he can fill it with silver or brass for you which after sanding will be like new.
Those Simplex chainguard are very petite and beautiful indeed, my Gazelle was supposed to come with one but it was probably just lost at some point. I like how they look with a front derailleur together, they kinda merge together. But in your case it will be painted, which is also cool.
Old 02-01-21, 04:50 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Those Onyx hubs seem to come in any possible color. Did you already order one?

If I had to go with a nice cassette hub myself, I would definetely try VO hubs, the feature of taking them apart without any tools is just great, isn't it? Apparently, they are made to last forever if bearings can be found easily.

That colour scheme above is great Is that the one you gonna go with? Do you already know where you gonna paint the frameset? Is the dent that bad that you do need those frame blocks? I feel like you can just use some filler material and call it done. One of the guys from SteelRides in Rotterdam is a frame builder, I bet he can fill it with silver or brass for you which after sanding will be like new.
Those Simplex chainguard are very petite and beautiful indeed, my Gazelle was supposed to come with one but it was probably just lost at some point. I like how they look with a front derailleur together, they kinda merge together. But in your case it will be painted, which is also cool.
Not yet. It's a decent amount of change ($470 + shipping) for the hub alone and I will probably be hit with a hefty import tax when it arrives here. The stuff I ordered from the UK after Brexit had an effective 28% income tax (21% over the combined item + shipping and a handling fee) so I will be saving up a bit first before spending that amount + the probable €100 ($120) in import taxes.

The VO hubs look nice, the ability to pull the freehub is something my SunXCD hub has as well. Haven't needed it yet but it's good to know you can.
Something to keep in mind at least, especially since these are much more readily available and a lot cheaper too.

The dent is visible from above and it bothers me. Especially since I know I can probably make it nearly invisible. Not sure yet where I will have it painted or whether it will be a powder coat or an actual paint job. I have various powder coating places around me but if I were to have it painted I would probably drop it off at a place specialized in bicycles.
The plan for now is to get the bike in riding condition and just clean and clearcoat the rusty bits before spending a lot on paint. Besides, I might have more money and the ability to actually visit the place in a few months time. I am thinking a dark metallic red with gold accents but it depends on what shade of red is available.

I kind of like how the original derailleur they were meant for had an option to just bolt these on with a single screw. I believe the Shimano Deore LX that came off this bike could be modified to do the same but at the risk of ruining a perfectly functional front derailleur.
Anyway, let's fit everything first and then try modifying stuff.

The front rack and some other goodies should arrive tomorrow so perhaps some real progress soon.

Last edited by JaccoW; 02-01-21 at 04:54 AM.
Old 02-01-21, 09:44 AM
alexnagui

Not yet. It's a decent amount of change ($470 + shipping) for the hub alone and I will probably be hit with a hefty import tax when it arrives here. The stuff I ordered from the UK after Brexit had an effective 28% income tax (21% over the combined item + shipping and a handling fee) so I will be saving up a bit first before spending that amount + the probable €100 ($120) in import taxes.
Yeah, I saw the price yesterday..I don't think I would pay that much for a hub, but if it can last you forever than probably it's a good investment. Plus it's a really fancy hub, I know.
The Brexit thing is annoying, I ordered some Brooks mudflaps in November and I am still waiting for them

The VO hubs look nice, the ability to pull the freehub is something my SunXCD hub has as well. Haven't needed it yet but it's good to know you can.
Something to keep in mind at least, especially since these are much more readily available and a lot cheaper too.
I watched this video
and I understand how it can be done. The VO design however is much more ingenious it seems. No tapping and knocking is involved whatsoever.
Old 02-05-21, 06:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

The VO design however is much more ingenious it seems. No tapping and knocking is involved whatsoever.
I don't believe mine needed that after the first time disassembling either but I think they are very comparable hubs in that regard.

Installed the rack and bottle cage today. I might try bending it a later to get it to sit a little bit lower but for now its fine. Not fenders installed yet anyway.

Old 02-05-21, 10:41 AM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
I don't know if you're still taking opinions on the frame color, but I gotta say; that original paint/decal color combo is one of the best I've seen on a bike. I was disappointed when I found out Aston Martin F1 replaced BWT as their main sponsor to avoid a British Racing Green and pink car tho — maybe I'm biased towards pink and green.

That said, between the two red options, I prefer the cream tires. They're having a quiet conversation with the decals that really cements the theme. You don't notice it's missing with the black tires until you see the cream ones on there. It looks more intentional and complete.
Likes For Rooney:
Old 02-05-21, 09:51 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Rooney
I don't know if you're still taking opinions on the frame color, but I gotta say; that original paint/decal color combo is one of the best I've seen on a bike. I was disappointed when I found out Aston Martin F1 replaced BWT as their main sponsor to avoid a British Racing Green and pink car tho — maybe I'm biased towards pink and green.

That said, between the two red options, I prefer the cream tires. They're having a quiet conversation with the decals that really cements the theme. You don't notice it's missing with the black tires until you see the cream ones on there. It looks more intentional and complete.
The green and pink is definitely a thing of the 90's. But if you want to play around with the colours and make an awesome colour combination feel free to experiment a bit in BikeCad.
If you open the colour wheel at the top you can play around with virtually every single part, colour and shade you want.

That's exactly the sort of play I am going for with this bike but we'll see if I can get my hands on them when the time comes. As far as I know there are not a lot of cream skinwall 37-622 tyres.
Old 02-15-21, 06:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Originally Posted by Rooney

I'm currently talking to someone who is selling a 58cm 1994 GentsTour which has the exact same colour scheme. If you're interested?

Old 02-15-21, 07:08 PM
Rooney 

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Super Course; '90 Cannondale ST1000; '98/99 Cannondale T700; 2002 Cannondale CAAD5 R700; 2022 Cannondale Topstone 2L

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 156 Posts
Alas! Beauty that it is, I ride a 63.5cm VSP. Get a load of those fairings tho!
Likes For Rooney:
Old 03-18-21, 06:58 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

As mentioned in another thread I am now one N+1 Koga-Miyata richer. Thanks @RiddleOfSteel!

This time a 1992 Koga-Miyata Traveller in a size 66 for the measly sum of €20 + €25 in fuel.

The paint is fairly decent but most of the parts are pretty worn. The seller was getting rid of it since the cost of replacing everything was too much for him.

I'm thinking of turning this one into a gravel/xBiking bike without fenders but with drop bars and fat tyres, similar to what alexnagui 's friend did in post 58. My guess is that 42mm tyres should fit without fenders.
For a moment I was afraid the seatpost was stuck due to oxidation but it came out easily.

The paint is a sweet looking two-tone metallic black with gold flakes in it combined with turquoise blue.

Not sure what the frame differences are compared to the WordlTraveller but it seems like a Shimano Deore DX groupset + SR parts for the Traveller at 15.6 kg (~34 lbs) VS. Shimano Deore LX + Nitto parts at 15.9 kg (~35 lbs) for the WorldTraveller.

Last edited by JaccoW; 03-18-21 at 07:02 AM.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 03-18-21, 12:10 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

As mentioned in another thread I am now one N+1 Koga-Miyata richer. Thanks @RiddleOfSteel!

This time a 1992 Koga-Miyata Traveller in a size 66 for the measly sum of €20 + €25 in fuel.

The paint is fairly decent but most of the parts are pretty worn. The seller was getting rid of it since the cost of replacing everything was too much for him.

I'm thinking of turning this one into a gravel/xBiking bike without fenders but with drop bars and fat tyres, similar to what alexnagui 's friend did in post 58. My guess is that 42mm tyres should fit without fenders.
For a moment I was afraid the seatpost was stuck due to oxidation but it came out easily.

The paint is a sweet looking two-tone metallic black with gold flakes in it combined with turquoise blue.

Not sure what the frame differences are compared to the WordlTraveller but it seems like a Shimano Deore DX groupset + SR parts for the Traveller at 15.6 kg (~34 lbs) VS. Shimano Deore LX + Nitto parts at 15.9 kg (~35 lbs) for the WorldTraveller.

Glad you were able to pick it up, Jacco! So cool! And you're welcome, of course.

Crazy to think that the standard weight of various Travellers is well north of 13kg. My '85 Trek 620 is just 1cm shorter with a slightly longer top tube and longer chainstays, and that came to 11kg on the nose. Granted, 32H non-touring wheelset (7400 hubs, MA2 rims, slender butted spokes) and "33mm" (30mm actually) Soma tires do a lot to help the weight issue vs. the 36H heavy, wide touring rims, 36x2 straight gauge spokes, and ~35mm anti-flat touring tires. I'd say there's an easy 1-2kg right there. The rear wheel lock, kickstand, and rear rack also add a good bit of weight. The Deore LX crankset has some weight over my triple-ized 7402 cranks, and that rear cassette likely outweighs my 10-speed cassette by 100g. So now we can get an idea of how the weight delta comes to be.

Looks like you have a lot of elbow grease and paint love to give on this one, Jacco. Super fun project. I'd be curious to see what the frame, fork, and headset (together) weigh. My 620 was a little north of 3.5kg, and I (at least) know that anything with Miyata in the name or build contract meant the frame was stouter than most. Even if this Traveller is a double FM-1 tubing (frame, fork) combination--the best!
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 03-18-21, 01:53 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
We definitely need group pictures of your Koga-Miyata collection so we can keep track of them, Jacco

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 03-18-21, 02:21 PM
alexnagui

That's a great find for 45 euros! Like your idea of turning it into a gravel/offroad (touring) bike. Actually, I have a similar project in mind, so I am curious to see what you gonna do with it. How's the World Traveller doing, by the way?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.