Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork suspension

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 06:41 AM
fima2000f@gmail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fork suspension

Hi guysI need your mechanical brains. I decided to service my fork suspension by myself.While cleaning the lower legs a metal rubber band came off from the inside.It seems very important and i dont know where i need to put it back. (I found a good guide for full fork suspension service but its not mentioned there)
Old 10-07-22, 07:32 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
We need make/model/year of your forks. Can't give much help without that info. Most manufacturers have manuals on their websites that are very helpful as well.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-07-22 at 08:00 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-07-22, 09:18 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by fima2000f@gmail
Hi guysI need your mechanical brains. I decided to service my fork suspension by myself.While cleaning the lower legs a metal rubber band came off from the inside.It seems very important and i dont know where i need to put it back. (I found a good guide for full fork suspension service but its not mentioned there)
Do you have any idea at all how many different suspension forks have been made over the last 20 some years? You have provided exactly zero information that would help anyone provide you with the info you need. This is like "I have a car, a piece fell off...what is it and how do I fix it"?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-07-22, 09:44 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I'm guessing you didn't come here to be berated by our resident malcontent, so I'll give it a go: That "metal rubber band" might be used to secure a rubber fork seal, as pictured. Try looking up your fork make & model online and see if there's an exploded diagram of all the internals.

Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-07-22, 09:53 AM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I'm guessing you didn't come here to be berated by our resident malcontent, so I'll give it a go: That "metal rubber band" might be used to secure a rubber fork seal, as pictured. Try looking up your fork make & model online and see if there's an exploded diagram of all the internals.
Getting warmer? Getting colder?
Old 10-07-22, 11:03 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla

On my old school Bomber fork, the lower seals also have this spring, but it's seated inside of the seal and not visible unless you specifically go look for it. Since you were servicing the lowers, I suspect it came off when (if) you removed the lower seals.