Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

going petrol power

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

going petrol power

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-08, 05:29 AM
mike-on-da-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
going petrol power

just been looking at a few 2 stroke type setups and think i will change over to one,reason being electric power lacks serious tourqe aqnd speed,i really need a bike that will do atleast 30klms for about 45klms,my little ezip will get no where near that even if i do more conversoins,i like electric concept but it still has a long way to go so it looks like i may well get a petrol one,then i wont have to catch a train no more as well.just seen a petrol bike that can do 35 klms per hour and go 100klms on 2litres of petrol ($250 aussie motorized petrol kit).the biggest problem for these electric bikes is they run flat very fast lack tourque and range is stuffed.notrhing worst than pedaling a heavy ezip home with flat batteries,done than to much latley so its time to flog off the ezip cheap and go petrol power.ezip is fine for very short trips on the flat but come acrross a hill and your stuffed,will have to push that heavy ezip up hill.ride more then 10 klms and you will also be pushing it home.

Last edited by mike-on-da-bike; 02-24-08 at 05:49 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-08, 09:23 AM

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
not true my finished bike will do 30mph for 20klms or more no problem before the bms cuts out. if your going to go with a motor go with a 4 stroke, there better for the enviroment.
Old 02-24-08, 12:53 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
They only have poor torque if you pick a setup with poor torque. Try out an internal gear reduction hub motor (Ezee, Heinzmann), a higher powered frame motor (Stokemonkey, typical 500w gear reduction motor), or a well spec DD hub motor with the right winding count and voltage.

My old 408 would've done 32km/h for 45km without trouble with the last battery. You can't just apply the traits of an Ezip to all styles out there and call it true.

But, those petrol kits are pretty cheap. I hope it works out for you better than the Ezip did
Old 02-24-08, 02:20 PM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
all elecric bike sold here in aussie lack serious power and range,it do apply to all electric bikes here,and the bike makers are making their bikes so you cant convert them easily and if you do find a way around it tharts gonna cost a small fortune a lithium battery here alone is $750 for a 24volt 10 amp one,i really dont see a big future for these bikes in current form,the concept is good but you need to back that up,not just sell something that looks good,you have to take into account how and where folk ride bikes,we dont all ride on flat ground,we have hills here and we do ride great distantces each day,this is where electric bikes fail badly,especially with distance and its not just the curries that are slow and heavy.sorry for complaining guys but i gave the old curry a good test runs for months,and not real impressed.
Old 02-24-08, 05:16 PM
Abneycat
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, thats understandable. Some of those aussie laws are silly, if they were interested in trying to get people on alternative transportation, they would make it so that purchasing a decent alternative was *possible*. If you ever find yourself in North America, go find a good motor to try out and smuggle it back

Those prices are also a bit silly. Around here in Canada, you can pick up a 10.5ah/37v lithium battery + charger for around $520, but I hear a lot of goods are much more expensive around Australia/New Zealand.

Oh, and I know well about hills, living around the Rocky Mountains. I was pretty irked with how the Crystalyte 408 performed until bumping the voltage up to 48v.

At any rate, the important part is that you get a solution that works for you.
Old 02-24-08, 06:13 PM
Lowell_

Bikes: Rocky Mountain electric bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a straight cost vs performance, no electric can compete with gas power. It just depends on how you put a value on the other aspects such as noise and emissions.
Old 02-25-08, 09:26 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my motor from cyclone-tw.com .....

the will sell to australia as well. I'm assuming the gas kits are no more legal than the high powered electric kits. You can get great speed and range out of the 500W or 1000W cyclone kits and they will definitely sell to australians (which i'm not sure is true for crystalyte dealers.)
Old 02-25-08, 07:57 PM
mike-on-da-bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
gas kit is on the way so now i wont even have to catch the slow sydney third world trains,this gas bike will do 100 klms on one tank and its pretty quiet,cant get serious range on almost any of those electric bikes its going to be a prob with all electrics,they need to do a hybrid system or something,not much fun only staying on the road for an hour or so and have to come back and charge up.ill sill play with an electric bike but its going to be my own versoin,the currie is outta here

Last edited by mike-on-da-bike; 02-25-08 at 08:03 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-08, 05:32 PM
15rms

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike Staton is coming out with a hybrid gas electric set up for a bike soon. It is their stanard transmission they have right now with 2 drive sprockets. One drives the back wheel and the other drives an alternator. They have some infromation on their site now but full details coming soon. The idea sounds interesting.
Old 03-15-08, 12:37 AM
meanjoegreen

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best ways to kill hills on electric.

1. Get a small hub wheel (say 20 inch) if possible as on the ezip quando.
2. Get a large battery pack(higher watts and voltage)
3. get an internal geared hub wheel. (to offset torque) and to adjust to wasted work done on hills.

Check out the ezip quando as a good example.
https://www.ebikehub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=308