Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Regarding all of the threads about passing roadies...

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Regarding all of the threads about passing roadies...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-09, 09:40 PM
Jabba Degrassi
FNG

Bikes: 2008 IRO Angus, 2008 Jamis Exile 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I passed wind in front of a roadie on a bike path. Mother****er went over them bars!
Old 03-22-09, 09:57 PM
areacode312

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darksiderising
Whenever "fixie" riders try to race me when I am on a geared road ride, I drop them. When I get home, I don't go post about it in the road forum.

Just ride your damn bikes. You obviously aren't enjoying bicycling enough if you feel the need to "beat" someone else who doesn't give a **** about you or the made up race you have created in your mind.
Wait a second. Who says any of those "fixie" riders were racing you!

But you felt the need to post that you drop them, lol.
You obviously aren't enjoying bicycling enough since you create these "made up" races in your mind and feel the need to "beat" someone else.

If a fixie rider were racing you- you wouldn't be able to "drop them".
Old 03-22-09, 09:58 PM
anacrime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
agree with OP 100%.

the replies in this thread are absolutely moronic too. i don't even own a bike with gears but it's flippin stupid to think you've accomplished anything by passing a roadie. i'm sure most of us pass way more roadies than the number of roadies that pass us. it may seem like you're fast but really it's like comparing apples to oranges.
Old 03-22-09, 10:05 PM
BoSoxYacht
Banned

Location: take your time, enjoy the scenery, it will be there when you get to it

Bikes: 07 IRO BFGB fixed-gear, 07 Pedal Force RS

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
this thread is almost as stupid as all the Campagnolo vs. Shimano threads.
Old 03-22-09, 10:28 PM
Thetank

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OP, you didn't think you could start a thread and have any of the people who frequent this section give you an actual discussion? C'mon man, you should know better than to ask for intelligence or rationale around here. All the common sense was depleted when the "What color Deep Vs make my bike faster?" threads started popping up!

I ride both a fixed and geared, in casual clothes and lycra respectively because quite frankly I have different bikes for different needs, if any of you guys think that the type of bike you own makes you who you are then you're in it for the wrong reasons. Just like I'm sure there are threads bashing people who ride fixed exclusively in the road forum, this thread is more about the annoying ones started here from people who want to get some kind of validation for the type of bike they ride and not because the OP thinks he's better for riding his geared bike over a fixed. You guys need to learn how to read something other than online forums and maybe you could comprehend what people are really saying.
Old 03-22-09, 10:37 PM
andre nickatina
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you race a road bike in a track gear (e.g., 85"+), it becomes less about the bike and more about the rider, leg speed and fitness.

But yeah, a fixed gear in a street gearing (below 80") doesn't have a whole lot of chance against an equal-fitnessed rider on a road bike.
Old 03-22-09, 10:47 PM
rrooster

Bikes: Motobecane Messenger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jabba Degrassi
I passed wind in front of a roadie on a bike path. Mother****er went over them bars!
HAHAHA, first useful thing about this thread.
Old 03-22-09, 11:25 PM
xsnakobx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I actually raced my friend (he was on a road bike and I was on my fixed gear) and we're about the same fitness level (we ride together a lot and have about the same distance/speed tolerances) but he just plain smoked me. Sure, I pulled ahead at first, but as soon as he got into his higher gears, he was ahead in no time.
But I still ride my fixed gear. I don't need to win "races" to ride it, or to enjoy riding it.
Although I understand the idea of "racing" people on the street. I do it sometimes, because I like to fantasize, but I remember that it's a fantasy.
And of course, the reason that roadies smoke fixed riders (assuming that both participants are of equal fitness/skill), is because they don't have to remove their back wheel to get into "track" gearing.
Old 03-23-09, 12:38 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by andre nickatina
If you race a road bike in a track gear (e.g., 85"+), it becomes less about the bike and more about the rider, leg speed and fitness.
Here's a scenario... and this is why road bikes go faster.

I am going to race myself... a fit cyclist.

My vintage Peugeot fixed gear is running 81 gear inches and weighs 22 pounds... I love this old bike... she crushes souls.

My vintage Raleigh road bike runs a 12 speed with a gearing range of 54-108 and weighs 22 pounds... I could also run a block with a 40 - 117 ratio if there were longer climbs involved.

By the time I got the Peugeot wound up the Raleigh would be gone and on the Raleigh I will spin the 52:15 gearing at 100 rpm for 45 kmh when the Peugeot has to be spinning at 120 just to keep up.

On the descents I will spin 108 gear inches at 140 rpm for speeds close to 75 kmh... the Peugeot has to be spun at 190 rpm to keep up.
Old 03-23-09, 01:00 AM
schnee

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zum1
Its a bit of a fascist leaning you possess
LOL

You know, this is just like the Nazis, in that
Old 03-23-09, 01:13 AM
Yaktizzle417

Bikes: 2001 Bianchi Eros, 1976 Orbea conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Road bikes are slow.

Fixed gears have like 60psi on a 50trim, plus that VTAKKKK in an LS1.

/car joke on a bike forum fail.
Old 03-23-09, 07:39 AM
adriano 

Bikes: https://velospace.org/node/18951

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yaktizzle417
Road bikes are slow.

a bad one at that.

α
Old 03-23-09, 07:51 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I dropped a fixie rider today. I was wearing a diaper and riding my fixie tricycle with the streamers.
I am a cycling god...bow before me (uhh...wait, I think my diaper needs changing first)
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-23-09, 07:56 AM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was replacing a handle on some kitchen cabinets the other day when I encountered a Phillips screw...All I had was a Robertson screwdriver, the toolbox was in another room.

But I jammed that screwdriver in anyway and got the job done! All the other guys were looking at me...I'm sure they were impressed
Old 03-23-09, 07:57 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Most of the roadies I pass are going the opposite direction. Clearly they are all scared and ride the opposite direction so I can't drop them. So instead of dropping them, I just give them "the look" when they wave. ****ers.
Old 03-23-09, 08:09 AM
kyselad
extra bitter

Bikes: Miyata 210, Fuji Royale II, Bridgestone Kabuki, Miyata Ninety

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
What's with all the hate on the OP? He started the thread to point out how asinine the "I dropped a roadie" threads are, and he's right. The people that post them seem to be looking for some bizarre validation. Just because the OP points this out doesn't mean he's somehow the one who needs validation. Fixed riders pass roadies and roadies pass fixed riders. Put the same rider on both bikes, and he'll do better with gears. That's what I read from the OP, and I can't see anything to argue with.

BTW, the OP isn't a roadie who dropped in to stir the pot -- he's been posting in ssfg for some time.
Old 03-23-09, 08:11 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Good point, pot is for smoking, not stirring.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 03-23-09, 08:57 AM
muckymucky
on Baby Charlie Concept~

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sink this thread please~
Old 03-23-09, 09:22 AM
jaggd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I''m not a cyclist. I just know a few bikes that would get really mad if they heard me say that.
Old 03-23-09, 09:54 AM
SSBully
HAMMER DOWN

Bikes: Sold '08 Jamis Coda Comp, building a Leader 720TR. I know, let the hating begin!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
notagain.jpg (18.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-23-09, 09:57 AM
darksiderising

Bikes: Pake track, Soma DoubleCross, LeMond Etape, Maruishi RoadAce 303

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hanjin
And you swinging by our form to let us know how pointless it is seems a bit strained, and contrived.
Originally Posted by xsnakobx
And I thought fixed riders were bad, now we've got roadies talking s**t too?

I'll admit that I rarely go over to that roadie forum, so I might just not see the machismo.
Originally Posted by areacode312
Great, roadie riders who got their feelings hurt are trying to start trouble to make themselves feel better. I love it!
Originally Posted by aMull
Exactly. OP is just another fat clown costume roadie getting mad that he was passed by a guy with jeans and one gear.
It's pretty silly that many of you are assuming I am just some "angry roadie." I'd be willing to bet that I put in many more fixed gear miles than some of you, combined. When I am out for a fixed ride, I smile and say hello to anyone on a bicycle (even when I am wearing my tight jeans and looking a bit hipster-ish).

It's really a shame to see the high frequency of polarizing attitudes displayed in this particular subforum. If there is any elitism or machismo existing in one cycling scene more than the others, it's got to be the fixed gear scene. But I also don't know how it is like in the other subforums, since I mostly read/post in this one.

Originally Posted by kyselad
BTW, the OP isn't a roadie who dropped in to stir the pot -- he's been posting in ssfg for some time.
Someone seems to have gotten it.
Old 03-23-09, 09:59 AM
Buddhalite

Bikes: Redline 925

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I fully expect any competant rider on a geared bike to pass me. It's fun to keep up but ultimately I know I'll get dropped. The kicker for me is getting out on the trail on Sundays and seeing all the schmucks who paid $2k for a bike and another grand on things like shoes, clothes, high end Garmins etc etc. One group smiles, says hello and in general is much more friendly. The other sneers at others and makes comments like "Get a real bike" as you pass them. I'll let you decide which each group is.
Old 03-23-09, 10:04 AM
palu
Goathead magnet

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yaktizzle417
Road bikes are slow.

Well, I thought it was funny. This takes me back to when Fast and Furious first came out and the car forums were flooded with “oh, I took out a WS6 in my stock D16 Civic hatch. Kept up in 1st and 2nd, but after 3rd V-Tech 900mHz, it was bye bye domestic.” Some of the threads in here are just as silly. Fixed and the Furious.
Old 03-23-09, 10:09 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
This is actually a most amusing thread... I would hope that we can all get along no matter what we ride and remember that... the roadie (if he's not resting up) is gonna win whether you like it or not.

Old 03-23-09, 10:18 AM
sp00ki
partly metal, partly real

Bikes: Hummer H2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sometimes i go on group rides with the regional pros and drop them on my fixie. i usually don't post about it, you guys are corny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.