Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

PLS HELP ME BUY A NEW BIKE (used?new?)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 12:35 PM
philybiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone, I just joined this forum to get more information about biking. I'm looking into buying a new/used bicycle for under $300. I can see that majority of you guys will say store-bought (something like schwinn, mongoose, or gmc) are piece of junk when it's compared to other more "higher-end" bikes. Therefore, I've been browsing my local CL to find if there is any decent sub $300 used bicycle and found this:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bik/5235242740.html

Since I'm such a newbie, I don't know if this is actually a good deal.. Can you guys please give some inputs so I can make a better purchase? I was thinking of getting that trek2100 or just go with new GMC denali (can't go cheaper than that).
I am 6ft and weight 200lbs. Most of my riding would be for leisure on bike trails.
Thanks you all!
Old 09-23-15, 02:14 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
What size is the bike? Do you know what size bike you need? If the bike isn't the correct size (doesn't fit) you'll hate it and never ride it.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 09-23-15 at 02:20 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 02:17 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
For leisure riding on bike trails you probably want a bike with upright bars. These bikes are called hybrid or fitness bikes. That Trek is a pretty good deal but, it's a lightweight racing style bike for road use.
Old 09-23-15, 02:42 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1822 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 977 Posts
Looks like this bike:
1997 Trek 2100 - BikePedia
I would be reluctant to buy a bonded carbon tube/aluminum lug bike that is almost 20 years old. From the picture, the bike looks pristine, it may not have been ridden much, or the owner has done a really, really good job cleaning it up. If it hasn't been ridden much, it probably hasn't undergone much stress that would have resulted in early failure. A close inspection would reveal patina, various very small nicks in the paint from having been ridden. However if all the components are original, they might be worn. If everything still looks new and original, then the bike may never have gone far, meaning that frame failure may still be in the near future. The thing is that when this bike was built, carbon fibre technology was nowhere close to where it is now. So be cautious, if the components are in good shape and the frame holds up, this is a good buy, offer somewhat less than the asking price and offer doubts about frame integrity as a reason.Size is pretty close for you, but the picture shows a very long stem, you may find the reach to the bars to be very long, you can offer that as another reason for a lower offer. To get a good fit you may have to spend money, so take that into consideration if you decide to buy. Don't just look at purchase price,when buying second hand you have to look at what it might cost to make the bike comfortable for you. That bike looks great in the picture, when you examine it in person, go over it in detail to look for signs of use.
No kidding, take a magnifying glass.
Old 09-23-15, 04:36 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
There must be local bike shops in Philly that offer pre-owned, reconditioned bikes. There's a couple good ones here in Colorado Springs. I mention this because if you're a real newbie as you said, a local bike store will have more of an interest in getting you a good deal on a used bike since they, as an establishment, have a reputation to worry about, and a potential repeat customer to hold on to for future routine maintenance and future sales. So they will try to find the right bike at the right size of the right type to make you happy....at least that's my theory. And even a used sporting goods store may have some knowledeable bike people. When you learn more about bikes and what works for you, then I'd feel more comfortable about private sellers.
Old 09-24-15, 09:45 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Besides local bike shops, a city the size of Philly will invariably also have "bicycle kitchens" in one format or the other. You could likely get a bike, free maintenance lessons, free use of professional bike tools, good advice and meet new friends. All the bikes at kitchens are used, but used are a better value than new at the $300 dollar range. A kitchen would give you the best bang for that buck. As well they'll appreciate your support, & local bike shops support them knowing that if you get into biking through a friendly kitchen, you'll invariably become their customer too.

ah hell I'll just google it for you
Neighborhood Bike Works there it is

okay so your bike kitchen is upgrading to a new location at 3939 Lancaster & is closed September through to October 6th, their grand reopening. In the meantime they have a shop in North Philly that is a part of their org. 1424-26 W. Susquehanna Ave

Why fly blind? Flying blind is what causes people to buy a GMC Denali, a bike that is so popular that soon there will be more bikes collecting dust in garages then being sold 10 years later for $40 at a garage sale than ever before. It is junk & will repel you from cycling. Don't sweat it, you had no way of knowing.

A 2100 in good condition as the above poster described would be a decent value, I remember it, several of my pals bought them new, came with Shimano 105 components. If the one you found sat in a garage for most of it's life & is like new or close, the parts alone are worth it if the frame hasn't aged well. Lots of good bikes also get perma-garaged & sold a decade or more later for way below msrp too.

Something else you would learn at a bike kitchen, is whether you really want to start on a road bike. North America has been force fed road race geometry as the standard of cycling for 40+ years, but people are finally waking up & demanding bikes for general application & more comfort. If you're just starting out you would probably get more enjoyment out of a non-race geometry.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-15, 06:17 AM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
How about this Cypress (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States $340 new and come in 5 frame sizes.. Great all round bike. My wife has the women's version, great for cruising pavement and multi-use dirt trails, plus she does fine with it on beginner single tracks.