Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Got my Roubaix. One happy camper!!!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-14, 02:52 PM
edgewater16

Bikes: Cannondale Quick 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I debated between sticking to my Hybrid and getting a Specialized Roubaix lately.. Your answers were very to the point. A road bike will not make me go faster.

In my defense, it was some sort of "motivation" for me to start cycling, and I was not happy with the way my hybrid behaved; a lot of roll resistance, heavy, not rigid etc.

I've never ridden a road bike before and actually I was very concerned about the riding position, therefore, I limited my options to endurance type road bike with more upright geometry..

After test-riding the Secteur, Roubaix, Cannondale Synapse, I found the Roubaix the most comfortable.. Being 6'2" and 250lbs, I got a 58cm frame - Sport SL4 version with Shimano 105 gearset.

I picked up the bike in NYC, bicycle habitat (not a big fan but they were the only place to have the 58cm in stock, within 100 mile radius)..

So, $2,123 later, I was on my new bike.

My commute from downtown NYC to NJ thru the bridge is 14 miles each way. So I got the bike, rode it home and it was a breeze! HUGE difference from my hybrid, much responsive, comfortable and fast!

Until I got home, slept, got up next morning and got on the very same bike again.. OMG. My sit bones were rotten. I couldn't sit on the saddle. My lower back was all locked up, could not bend forward.. I was in pain.

I took the car instead, gave it one day rest, and got on the bike again. Still some pain, but nothing major... And, finally, yesterday I rode it again for another 15 miles, I think my buttocks finally got used to it.. No padded shorts, riding in regular long training pants, ABSOLUTELY NO BUTT PAIN. and absolutely no lower back pain.

I did some reading and found out about stretching the hamstrings, but yeah. I think I did my fastest time ever, riding back home.. There's a steep hill right after the bike path to connect to the bridge (181st st, for NYC people) and I always walked my bike up that hill... Yesterday, I put my bike in the easiest gear and I COULD CLIMB THE WHOLE THING WITHOUT STOPPING!! I was wiped out at the end, panting, but I could pull it off!

I'm so happy, very motivated and dedicated. I love my new bike and can't wait to ride it more often.. I'm watching what I eat as well and I definitely feel awesome!

Just wanted to share.. A bike is a bike, but it was a huge motivation for me!

Happy riding!
Old 05-30-14, 03:04 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Very cool, you know pictures are required
Old 05-30-14, 03:06 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Excuse me . . . Think you have MY bike (Roubaix Sport SL4 with Shimano 105 setup) - Or the same model I have been looking at with longing eyes lately anyway!

Have to admit that I do enjoy my Secteur and don't really NEED another ride - But yours is the one I'd jump on if sudden cash windfall blows my way!

Good luck & happy riding!

(A pic or two wouldn't hurt either . . . )
Old 05-30-14, 03:11 PM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my 2013 Roubaix Expert. I'll be leaving on Saturday to ride it to LA!
Old 05-31-14, 10:16 AM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My '13 Roubaix Elite Apex will be one year old in a couple of weeks. I have racked up about 4K miles on it in the last 12 months and still love it. It is still bone stock other than replacing the 2 rear tires and a chain that wore out. I am looking at getting a new set of custom wheels once I break the 200lb barrier as a reward to myself. Post up a pic of your new beauty! Here is mine right after I brought it home last year.

Old 05-31-14, 03:20 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Yeah, the bike won't necessarily make you faster but it will make you WANT to go faster. And you should be able to go longer too. if your saddle is causing problems for you, talk to the shop and see if they'll let you try some other ones. What did they put on your bike and did they do the little ass-o-meter thing first?

Specialized actually makes a lot of saddles, you should be able to find one that works for you.

I have a 2012 SL3 and I looooove it.
Old 05-31-14, 03:51 PM
linnefaulk

Bikes: 1990 Trek 820, 1995 Trek 1220

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Congrats! I found that riding my road bike usually alleviated my lower back pain.
Old 06-05-14, 12:50 PM
rpecot

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbosays
Excuse me . . . Think you have MY bike (Roubaix Sport SL4 with Shimano 105 setup) - Or the same model I have been looking at with longing eyes lately anyway!
No, he got mine!

Love my Roubaix. First time on the road I beat my best time on my usual 20 mile circuit. Second time out, I beat that time. Light, fast, responsive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20140412_160759.jpg (63.2 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-05-14, 01:16 PM
Jimbosays
Let's Ride!

Bikes: Giant Suede (Comfort cruiser - "The Rocking Chair"); Giant Escape 2 (700mm Hybrid - "The S.U.V."); Specialized Secteur Elite (Road Bike - "The Scooter"); Surly Troll (Touring Bike - "Load Up & Go Anywhere")

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rpecot
No, he got mine!

Love my Roubaix. First time on the road I beat my best time on my usual 20 mile circuit. Second time out, I beat that time. Light, fast, responsive.

Good to see the Texas Bluebonnets are in full force this spring . . . Oh, yeah - NICE bike too!

Just wish there was more of a color choice for the current Roubaix/Secteur line . . . Love the machinery, but tired of black/silver bikes (have three of'em.)
Old 06-05-14, 01:21 PM
vic303

Bikes: Schlitter Encore, RANS Seavo tandem, Fisher HKEK, Spec. Roubaix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice! I got a new-to-me 2007 Roubaix about 2 weeks ago. I'm getting back used to a DF, being mostly a recumbent rider. It's a fun light bike, and it climbs well.
Old 06-05-14, 01:32 PM
KSGUY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got the Roubaix SL4 Expert a month ago and am now starting to get into it. I like the OP am 6' 2" just over 250#'s and got the 58 cm frame. I however am 66 years old. Man, had I have had this when I was a teenager I would have been King of the World. Unfortunately now that I am in geezer land it is not the same because of my limits but it is great bike. My last road bike was a 1982 Trek and the advances are amazing.

I look forward to riding it all over Kansas City especially on the dedicated bicycle trails. I also got a carrier for the back of my motorcycle so that I can carry it to the far off riding places. Its going to be a good summer.
Old 06-08-14, 08:15 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOVE the Roubaix! Great bikes!

Congrats on the new ride!
Old 06-08-14, 08:45 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JakiChan
I love my 2013 Roubaix Expert. I'll be leaving on Saturday to ride it to LA!
I may be too late...

Where are you starting from?

Ride Report?
Old 06-09-14, 07:28 PM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey Gang!

I just pulled the trigger on a 2014 Roubaix Sora SL4 and have ordered a full Ultegra 6800 group from Planet Cyclery. My LBS is going to build it up when I get the group and stick my CXP33/Ultegra custom wheel set on it. I will be into it for about $2500 and am getting $1K for my old Tarmac as trade-in. Should have it up and running by next week. I actually preferred the FACT8 over the FACT10 for ride quality. Can't wait! I will have pictures.

Wonder if I can get anything on ebay for the 9sp Sora group and stock wheels.
Old 06-10-14, 12:45 AM
StephenT 

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Comp SL2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wooden Tiger
LOVE the Roubaix! Great bikes!

Congrats on the new ride!
I have to agree. I love my 2011 Roubaix SL2 Comp. Thousands of miles and ZERO issues. I was cycling for several years and bought mine as a gift after going through a total knee replacement at age 48. Im faster, healthier and down 45 lbs. Another 15 lbs and I will no longer be a clyde. To the OP - you made a great decision on your ride. Now get out there and ride and push yourself every time.
Old 06-10-14, 04:30 AM
Wooden Tiger

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Flash Alloy 2 (mountain bike), 2010 Schwinn Paramount Series 7 (road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenT
I have to agree. I love my 2011 Roubaix SL2 Comp. Thousands of miles and ZERO issues. I was cycling for several years and bought mine as a gift after going through a total knee replacement at age 48. Im faster, healthier and down 45 lbs. Another 15 lbs and I will no longer be a clyde. To the OP - you made a great decision on your ride. Now get out there and ride and push yourself every time.
They're very comfortable bikes, and quite quick, too! One of the other most enjoyable, most similar bicycles I've ridden was the Cannondale Synapse. That bike was also really nice.
Old 06-10-14, 08:08 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Congratulations on your beautiful new bike. I have one and it simply is a glorious bike, whether going fast or standing still. Enjoy pushing yourself.

But for anyone unable to shell out the $3K or on the fence about adding a Roubaix to the stable, don't bother lusting after one. There are just as many negatives as positives, probably more. It's sort of like having Scarlett Johansson living in your spare bedroom.
Old 06-10-14, 10:29 AM
JakiChan

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Null66
I may be too late...

Where are you starting from?

Ride Report?
SF. It was AIDS/LifeCycle 2014. Not my best ride for sure - some injury problems.
Old 06-10-14, 10:43 AM
Soonerinfrisco

Bikes: Specialized Allez cromoly, Fisher Paragon 29er

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Congratulations on your beautiful new bike. I have one and it simply is a glorious bike, whether going fast or standing still. Enjoy pushing yourself.

But for anyone unable to shell out the $3K or on the fence about adding a Roubaix to the stable, don't bother lusting after one. There are just as many negatives as positives, probably more. It's sort of like having Scarlett Johansson living in your spare bedroom.
I agree and I disagree.

The 9sp Sora SL4 is going for around $1600 in Dallas. My LBS actually ordered it for me last week. The stock 105 SL4 is $2K here. It's heavy and poorly spec'd by price point for sure. However, a 105 10sp group can be had for less than $500 and I paid $729 with free ship for my 6800 11sp group. You can get a nicely equipped Roubaix for $2K-2500 but I can't disagree that they are pricey for the set up. Unfortunately for me, they are by far the most upright road bike I tested, and I rode a bunch of the bikes in the plush category. I really wanted to love the Felt Z4 and the Fuji Gran Fondo, both with at least 105/Ultegra mix for less than $2K, but they are not near as comfy for me. I do have a congenital narrow spinal column so I really need my spine in line and my head up.

Now about Scarlett in the spare bedroom.....
Old 06-10-14, 11:46 AM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Soonerinfrisco
I agree and I disagree.

The 9sp Sora SL4 is going for around $1600 in Dallas. My LBS actually ordered it for me last week. The stock 105 SL4 is $2K here. It's heavy and poorly spec'd by price point for sure. However, a 105 10sp group can be had for less than $500 and I paid $729 with free ship for my 6800 11sp group. You can get a nicely equipped Roubaix for $2K-2500 but I can't disagree that they are pricey for the set up. Unfortunately for me, they are by far the most upright road bike I tested, and I rode a bunch of the bikes in the plush category. I really wanted to love the Felt Z4 and the Fuji Gran Fondo, both with at least 105/Ultegra mix for less than $2K, but they are not near as comfy for me. I do have a congenital narrow spinal column so I really need my spine in line and my head up.

Now about Scarlett in the spare bedroom.....
I can't say anything negative about my experience on a Roubaix. As long as it's a quality product, is comfortable, and performs well, it's worth it.

Scarlett Johanssen in the spare bedroom? I'll be moving into the spare bedroom!
Old 06-10-14, 12:45 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

LOL, but I'm thinking you missed my point.
Old 06-10-14, 02:29 PM
Wooden Tiger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
LOL, but I'm thinking you missed my point.
Nah, it was perfectly clear. If you want Scarlett Johanssen sleeping in your spare bedroom, get a Roubaix.
Old 06-10-14, 06:28 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Originally Posted by wooden tiger
nah, it was perfectly clear. If you want scarlett johanssen sleeping in your spare bedroom, get a roubaix.
ok!
Old 06-11-14, 08:57 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on ur ride!