Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Hello - Trying to give this a real shot

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-14, 12:46 PM
Snowdog2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am 46, 5'8" 260ish Clyde in St Paul, Mn. I have a number of friends who have taken up cycling over the past year and decided it was time to do something to live my life a little healthier.

For this endeavor I went with a Framed Minnesota 2.0 Fat bike running 29inch street tires (which were included with the purchase.

This is hard. I've been out twice this past week not getting much further than 1.6 miles and about 20 minutes on a relatively flat route. By then my legs and lungs have just about had it.

I was planning on making this an every other day event to allow myself to recover even though my legs are not sore the following day. Not sure if should just suck it up and keep going every other day.

All I want to accomplish right now is to make it the 2 miles to the park where at some point I can ride their paths. My eventual goal is the commute to work which isn't all that far at a little over 6 miles, but it does include some more significant hills.

So, hello!
Old 06-12-14, 12:51 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 275 Posts
it will get easier, don't give up
Old 06-12-14, 12:53 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Hello Snowdog,

First, welcome to the nut-house. This is a good place to be.

Congrats on getting off the sofa and onto a bike. And congratulations on making it 1.6 miles. Keep it up. Next week, 2 miles will be the norm. The next week, maybe 3. It takes time, but there are countless stories on this board about people who have walked in your shoes. Some have even reported about their first century. Yup, 100 miles in a day on a bike. It can be done....BY YOU! Rest days are good, but keep at it. You'll be commuting that 5 miles before you know it!
Old 06-12-14, 01:00 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hello and welcome ... and yes, ride as often as you can, and you'll see imrprovements
Old 06-12-14, 01:10 PM
mcmoose

Bikes: Trek Silque S, Bianchi Aria e-Road

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Hey Snowdog,

Good call on getting the "Fat Slims" wheels and tires (especially since they were free!). Keep the tires inflated to near max, and just keep at it. As the other posters have noted, it WILL get easier. Rest is important -- both to keep things fun and to avoid stress injuries.

Keep a riding log. Celebrate small victories. A year from now you'll look back and be amazed at how far you've come.

And being a northerner, you might start thinking about winter plans. Do you want to be a snowdog on the fat tires or take your cycling indoors? The spin-class scene might not appeal to you, but there's nothing wrong with working a trainer while watching the tube.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 06-12-14, 01:19 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
20 minutes of cardio is a great start. Interesting that you are starting with a fat bike. If both lungs and legs are hurting then you will need to add fitness. Take your time building up distance. I think every other day will give you good results however two days on one day off might be a reasonable short term goal. Rest is important as is hydration and nutrition. You can do this.
Old 06-12-14, 01:27 PM
bbeasley
Cat 5 field stuffer

Bikes: Wabi Lightning RE, Wabi Classic

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Congratulations on making a change!

I can relate, 4 years ago I was 52 y/o, 5'8" and 252 lbs. My first ride was 1/4 mile, I wheezed for 15 min afterwards. Today I'm *196 lbs and ride between 60 and 160 miles per week. Not saying my mileage is a goal you should shoot for or is necessary, I fell in love with cycling and now do it for fun as well as weight control.

If your legs are a bit sore do a light warm up and see how you feel. If your legs hurt, by all means take a day off. You'll learn rest/recovery days are part of the process.

Welcome to the sandbox, enjoy your ride!

*There's a bunch of us who are sub 200 that hang out here. It's where I started and it just feels like home.
Old 06-12-14, 01:58 PM
GeoBigJon

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc, Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on making the change, keep at it and you will do well.
Old 06-12-14, 03:28 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You will find encouragement, inspiration and a place to ask questions. There are several here who have "been there...done that" as far starting in a similar place as you. And just like family...we don't always agree or get along but this forum is probably the most supportive and friendly that exist on the internet when it comes to cycling.

Would love to see a pic of your new addition to the family.
Old 06-12-14, 06:47 PM
Zoxe

Bikes: Giant Cypress DX, Bianchi Imola, Surly Cross Check 105, Twin6 Standard TI FSU

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 22 Posts
The miles will come quicker than you think. We all start where you're at right now. Don't worry and just enjoy the new ride for now.
Old 06-12-14, 06:58 PM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
The first miles are the hardest, once you get past a certain point you'll be racking up miles like crazy. I hit it hard last year at 47/242 and lost 42lbs and my Clyde status . When I started I couldn't go beyond four miles and within a few months I did my first fifty miler and have now done several with a Century scheduled in August. I've also started running and I'm toying with the idea of a Marathon. Anybody can do this stuff, it just takes motivation.
Old 06-12-14, 07:11 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Been there myself! Only my 1st ride was just to get a coffee.... less than a miles ride. When I got off the bike my legs were so shaky I nearly fell.

Now I weight [nearly] my idea weight and my normal rides are 20 mile loops. Just keep riding. You will be amazed.
Old 06-12-14, 07:27 PM
WrightVanCleve

Bikes: 2013 Trek One Series

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now, you are not riding very long so I'd ride every day or ride a few days in a row with one day off. Stretch after every ride, that will help some, legs will probably still be sorish but it will feel better getting a good stretch when you are warmed up.

It gets much easier. You'll be going further in 2 weeks.

Some of it is also mental. Set a goal, it will help. Don't get too crazy with the goal, make it something you can accomplish. Do what engineers do on safety margins, set the goal on a lowish side and when you go further you'll feel better.
Old 06-12-14, 10:00 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
I got back on a bike last year after many years of being a couch potato. I was like you and worn out in less than a mile. After several attempts I tried slacking off the pace (which was already pretty slow) and giving my legs & lungs a break when I started getting tired. I found if I just eased along for a little ways my strength would return and I could go quite a bit further. For many rides I would get tired in about the same place but after a little recovery I was soon adding miles to my rides. That was last July and now I have done 60+ a couple of times and plan to do a century in August. Don't give up!