Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Listening To Music On The Road...Yea or Nay?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Listening To Music On The Road...Yea or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 06:54 PM
M69thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Only on rail trails

I listen to audio book only when doing workout on a nearby rail trail... I never listen when sharing the road with auto's, I've had to many close calls. I even got a light for the back of my road bike that has a radar that Bluetooth to my garmin 810... works great. Still do head checks, but when my garmin beeps I look down, see the dots on the 810, I know how many are behind me. I'm a older man, not very flexible anymore... I need all the help I can get.😩
Old 08-12-17, 07:35 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Music is important to me, but not on the bicycle. Music in camp in the evening. But in the morning get up and get going, no distractions. There have been a few times when I swerved out of the way of a car whose driver was not paying attention.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 08-13-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 09:03 AM
bicyclridr4life
Bicyclerider4life

Bikes: Huffy Beach Cruisers, Miami Sun Trike, Vertical PK7, KHS Montana Summit, Giant Cypress DX, Schwinn OCC Stingray

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Me? Not even on the rare occasions I'm driving a car. The radio/tape/CD player stays off.
I like the quiet.
Old 08-13-17, 10:08 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I listen to music on busy roads to drown out the traffic noise.
Old 08-13-17, 11:27 AM
shipwreck

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Erick L
I listen to music on busy roads to drown out the traffic noise.
Yes, sometimes this is a good thing as well. When on a road that has non stop traffic, and every third driver of an old truck romps the four barrel when right by you... Its not like you don't know there is a car coming on a road like that!
Old 08-13-17, 04:28 PM
darkstar173rd

Bikes: New Albion Privateer Custom

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i listen to the voices.
the ones in my head.
they tell me things.
+1 small world.
Old 08-14-17, 11:36 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by raybo
I listen to audiobooks when I ride. Since stereo isn't important in such things, I only use one earbud (on the non-traffic side). I have used the One Good Ear bud for this. It puts both tracks in one ear. I reviewed it here. Do you need both ears for listening to traffic?

I now use the Trex Titanium bone conduction headphones (review here). With them, I (unfortunately) can hear all the road noise I want!

The first time I went on tour, I didn't listen to anything. I spent my riding time daydreaming and singing to myself. It is hard to say that I was more responsive to cars coming up behind me in such a state.

I find a mirror as useful for knowing what it behind me than waiting to hear something. In addition, I find riding on car-free paths and lightly traveled roads to the be the best way to avoid the risks of traffic.

I would find multi-day tours intolerable if I couldn't listen to something while I ride.
Raybo do you use drop bars what mirror is best ,i bought one in CRC totally useless shimmers all over the place.
Old 08-14-17, 10:23 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
Raybo do you use drop bars what mirror is best ,i bought one in CRC totally useless shimmers all over the place.
EVT Safe Zone helmet-mounted mirror is IMHO the best bike mirror. Helmet mount reduces the vibration, super-wide view, not convex like many bar-mount mirrors. Amazon.UK has it for ~$81 £ which is unfortunately about 2x price as in USA. Perhaps other cheaper sources for you but it's so good I'd pay the 81 £.
Old 08-15-17, 05:52 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
EVT Safe Zone helmet-mounted mirror is IMHO the best bike mirror. Helmet mount reduces the vibration, super-wide view, not convex like many bar-mount mirrors. Amazon.UK has it for ~$81 £ which is unfortunately about 2x price as in USA. Perhaps other cheaper sources for you but it's so good I'd pay the 81 £.
thanks for that but 81 is way to expensive for my pocket.

Last edited by antokelly; 08-15-17 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-15-17, 07:46 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts
I do use drop bars. But, my mirror is attached to the visor on my helmet.

I use the "Take a Look" mirror and highly recommend it. I have no idea if it is sold in Ireland but they are readily available on-line and in LBS all over the US.

The last one I bought earlier this year cost me $12.
Old 08-15-17, 08:04 AM
antokelly

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
good Stuff thanks guys sorry for hi jackin the thread.

anto.
Old 08-15-17, 09:17 AM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I generally don't listen to music while I ride. It is my time to just enjoy the "quiet" and my thoughts. However at one point I picked up a pair of bone conduction headphones and they worked quite well. They actually sit in front of your ears. So you could hear the music fine but your ears were not obstructed at all and could hear all of the traffic fine.
Old 08-16-17, 12:58 AM
DropBarFan

thanks for that but 81 is way to expensive for my pocket.
OK...EBay.UK has it for £36 w/free post from US. What price safety? Safe Zone mirror area is 2.7X that of Take a Look, quicker & easier to spot stuff which really helps considering one can check mirror hundreds or thousands of times per day. I think the only reason that other companies don't make a similar-size helmet mirror is it looks a bit weird.

Take a Look requires a helmet visor or glasses; Safe Zone fits on most any helmet. BTW EVT replaced zip ties with velcro straps so easier to re-position.
Old 08-16-17, 12:04 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems a lot of people are into the audiobook thing...I'm giving it a whirl. Listening to Jens Voigt's "Shut Up Legs!", and it's quite enjoyable to hear it. Very relaxing.

May need to get an external speaker. I found my blue jay headphones and they really block sound out, but I do appreciate all the inputs and ideas.

As far as mirrors go...objects seem closer than they appear, haha! I've looked at the helmet mounted ones, but the ones I see just seem cheaply made and not very durable, so I just check my back every so often until I find that perfect one. Not really into bike mounted kind, but I think that's the roadie in me talking.
Old 08-16-17, 12:33 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by M69thunder
I listen to audio book only when doing workout on a nearby rail trail... I never listen when sharing the road with auto's, I've had to many close calls. I even got a light for the back of my road bike that has a radar that Bluetooth to my garmin 810... works great. Still do head checks, but when my garmin beeps I look down, see the dots on the 810, I know how many are behind me. I'm a older man, not very flexible anymore... I need all the help I can get.😩
Gotta check that out...will it work on the 510?
Old 08-16-17, 03:44 PM
M69thunder

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 36Oly_Rider
Gotta check that out...will it work on the 510?
I think it is. You can Google "Garmin Varia rearview radar" (I tried to post the link, but this site won't let me yet, sorry, I'm a new guy&#128522 The site has a list of compatible devices. You can check it out on some videos. If you do want one, shop around, your can save yourself a lot of money. Also, someone told me that they aren't legal in some other countries, no clue if true or why.
Old 08-16-17, 04:59 PM
vlicon

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sitting here, drinking my morning cuppa joe, listening to Jerry Garcia and Merl Saunders...I ordered up some panniers this morning, super excited about that, should be here tomorrow...

But as I sit here, listening to these fabulous jams, I am thinking...I love music, but not a big fan of wearing ear buds on the bike.

You have good taste in music and good sense when riding.
Old 08-16-17, 09:27 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by M69thunder
I think it is. You can Google "Garmin Varia rearview radar" (I tried to post the link, but this site won't let me yet, sorry, I'm a new guy&#128522 The site has a list of compatible devices. You can check it out on some videos. If you do want one, shop around, your can save yourself a lot of money. Also, someone told me that they aren't legal in some other countries, no clue if true or why.
Yeah, I just looked it up. I think in some countries, like Germany, the lights have to meet a certain specification to be used. On my bike I have a busch and mueller (?) brand, and read that the lights cannot flash or blink to comply with German law (based on my research).

I know here in Washington, we can have blinking rear lights, but the headlights need to be non flashing. I don't think it's really enforced, but as long as you have it, you should be good to go.
Old 08-16-17, 09:30 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vlicon
You have good taste in music and good sense when riding.
Thank you! 😁
Old 08-16-17, 10:07 PM
DropBarFan

Seems a lot of people are into the audiobook thing...I'm giving it a whirl. Listening to Jens Voigt's "Shut Up Legs!", and it's quite enjoyable to hear it. Very relaxing.

May need to get an external speaker. I found my blue jay headphones and they really block sound out, but I do appreciate all the inputs and ideas.

As far as mirrors go...objects seem closer than they appear, haha! I've looked at the helmet mounted ones, but the ones I see just seem cheaply made and not very durable, so I just check my back every so often until I find that perfect one. Not really into bike mounted kind, but I think that's the roadie in me talking.
I'll have to check out Shut up Legs. This year I'm hearing 10X more riders using external speakers so I guess there's some advantage. OTOH I'd think the sound would still somewhat drown out /distract from hearing traffic & there's another device to recharge.

Some folks recommend Cat Ears: little pads that go on helmet strap in front of ears & cut most of wind noise. Seems like they'd aid safety whether or not listening to audio.

My EVT Safe Zone mirror is 6 years old but still going strong, survived numerous bumps & drops.

Used to be a roadie & pretty good at glancing behind but even then it wasn't the safest/most comfortable setup. Tried a dentist mirror & found it useless. Actually I think pro racers would like the Safe Zone, easy to spot sneak attacks, would work great for sprint track-stands. They'd only need to withstand the constant ribbing from peleton.
Old 08-17-17, 09:26 PM
hilltowner

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HobbesOnTour
I bring my ipod on tour, but hardly ever listen to it on the bike. The only exception is ... dedicated bike paths.)

Frank
+1 on bike path use, otherwise in camp only.

For a rear view mirror there is also this: RearViz Mirror

Last edited by hilltowner; 08-17-17 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-17-17, 10:29 PM
DropBarFan

RearViz mirror is clever but helmet mirrors have the advantage of requiring smallest eye movement. Safe Zone allows me to check mirror & simultaneously retain a fairly good view of road ahead. RearViz mirror is ~same size as Safe Zone unlike most handlebar mirrors which are larger to make up for increased eye-mirror distance. I change handlebar position frequently, seems that arm-mounted RearViz would change angle & thus not always be in optimal position.

RearViz gets some good reviews though some complain about a no-return policy. EVT folks are friendly & helpful, they sell spare parts too.
Old 08-19-17, 06:35 PM
hilltowner

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
RearViz mirror is clever but helmet mirrors have the advantage of requiring smallest eye movement. Safe Zone allows me to check mirror & simultaneously retain a fairly good view of road ahead. RearViz mirror is ~same size as Safe Zone unlike most handlebar mirrors which are larger to make up for increased eye-mirror distance. I change handlebar position frequently, seems that arm-mounted RearViz would change angle & thus not always be in optimal position.

RearViz gets some good reviews though some complain about a no-return policy. EVT folks are friendly & helpful, they sell spare parts too.
I've never been sure how well a helmet mirror works with age-related vision problems. I can't focus on anything closer than arm's length. Never have worn glasses for it except readers/magnifiers which don't work for distance. RearViz and a bar end mirror are far enough away to focus on the image shown in the mirror. As far as changing handlebar positions I've found it's easy to rotate my wrist when I need to change the angle and have been happy with the system thus far. Don't know about returns though.
Old 08-19-17, 08:15 PM
hzayas42

Bikes: Motobecane but will upgrade next year

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stereo single ear bud

I use 1 earbud that plays stereo, its a single bud I got on Amazon on my non-traffic side. I ride the streets a lot and hear perfectly, I do have a Garmin Varia also that helps.
Old 08-19-17, 11:19 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
I don't do it or like it when others do it. It's a distraction and it's already sufficiently dangerous out there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.