Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Master's Worlds in LA - Where are all the entries?

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Master's Worlds in LA - Where are all the entries?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-17, 09:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by 700wheel
I noticed at the Masters WC one masters rider on a Trek road TT frame (complete with derailleur hanger) and at least one rider on a Specialized road TT frame.
Yeah, I think that guy works at Specialized (if it's the person I'm thinking of). He's very fast and knows what he likes.

Also there was a strange crash last night: after crossing the finishing line one sprinter rode up the banking and crashed into the rail and then slid down to the apron. He was carted off on a stretcher but he did manage to wave to the gathering
You know, I've seen that almost happen several times at that track. I watched Gideon Massie almost wreck after a sprint heat in the same manner years ago.

I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the finish line is closer to the turn than people expect? Not sure.

Last edited by carleton; 10-10-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-10-17, 10:22 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
I saw something similar in training at Rock Hill. Guy pulled off a pursuit paceline too hard and fast, flew up hit the wall, went airborne, then hit the wall again about 8 feet later and slid down the track.
Old 10-10-17, 10:50 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VSC is my home track. I have only seen one other person do that. In my opinion, the guy was gassed from beating the Russian, and just forgot to see where he was. I almost did that once myself during State champs and it was because I wasn't paying attention to where I was on the track. I am not being critical of the guy (as I said, I almost did it myself once), but there is nothing about the track that launches you into that. All you have to do is remember to lean left and put pressure on the left bar end at the end of the effort
Old 10-10-17, 11:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by rensho3
VSC is my home track. I have only seen one other person do that. In my opinion, the guy was gassed from beating the Russian, and just forgot to see where he was. I almost did that once myself during State champs and it was because I wasn't paying attention to where I was on the track. I am not being critical of the guy (as I said, I almost did it myself once), but there is nothing about the track that launches you into that. All you have to do is remember to lean left and put pressure on the left bar end at the end of the effort
Maybe it's a function of training on a 333m and racing the biggest event of the year on a 250m type of thing? At a certain point of exhaustion, habit kicks in.
Old 10-10-17, 11:14 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Maybe it's a function of training on a 333m and racing the biggest event of the year on a 250m type of thing? At a certain point of exhaustion, habit kicks in.
It's been a long time since I trained on a 333. I hadn't thought of that, and I agree that could have been the reason.
Old 10-11-17, 01:40 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've seen it happen a few times, including one guy who managed to yank himself and his bike over the balustrade, rather than crash.

My impression has been that it's mostly people who aren't used to a steep track but have watched a few steep track finishes on video or TV. It can look like riders are turning right to go up track and dump speed, but they're really just going straight as they hit the turn, like in a TP exchange, leveling out 1/2-2/3 the way up, and then floating to the next straight, where they then take it easy getting off track. From typical camera angles it can look like a right turn, but there's really no active turn or lean to the right at all.

I once saw someone turn right to make a high speed TP exchange. His foot hit the track on the high side and came out of the pedal. Amazingly, nobody went down, but it looked more like a Keirin than a TP.
Old 10-11-17, 11:27 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know the guy who crashed and saw him last night. He had to come over the top of the Russian and it came down to a bike throw at the line. He said he threw his bike so hard that he was actually looking at the track surface behind his bike and that by the time he looked up, he was right there at the wall. The railing is a galvanized pipe that is screwed together with couplings at the junctions rather than a smooth, welded pipe/rail. He got unlucky and hit right where there was a junction and it ripped him open under his eye and down the side of his nose to his top lip. He spent a few hours in the hospital and got a ton of stitches. Doctor said he was extremely lucky and only came away with a broken nose, if it was an inch higher that he would have lost his right eye and had it been a bit lower he would have lost quite a few teeth. He is in good spirits and already looking forward to next year. It was 1-1 and going to a 3rd ride for the bronze medal when he crashed....not quite the way you want to end you 1st Worlds.
Old 10-11-17, 01:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Jeez. I'm glad he's OK.
Old 10-11-17, 01:59 PM
kings run east

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jeez. I'm glad he's ok.
+1
Old 10-11-17, 03:54 PM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
I noticed at the Masters WC one masters rider on a Trek road TT frame (complete with derailleur hanger) and at least one rider on a Specialized road TT frame.
A number of riders (myself included) are using the Specialized Shiv as a pursuit/team pursuit bike. Some are also using it for mass start with kind of a custom head tube adapter to give it enough stack and clear the frame. (A normal stem wouldn't fit as the back of the stem where the bolts are would hit the frame.) One rider in particular, Larry Nolan won the points race last year in Manchester on his Shiv and won his scratch race heat this year. I'm using a Langster for mass start as I didn't have time to get comfortable on the Shiv as a mass start bike. But in the past I used a transition at masters track nationals in 2008.
Old 10-12-17, 07:24 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Is BB height not an issue with the Shiv?

I know Rock Hill has a minimum BB height, though, I've never actually measured the BB height from the ground on any of my bikes.
Old 10-12-17, 09:06 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
There was a bomb-ass IP final in the men's 50-54 last night... it was so dope i charted the splits.

Old 10-12-17, 09:39 AM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's even crazier than M 50-54 was the one the previous night. I'd have to look at the schedule to be sure which one it was, it was the mens gold/silver ride, I believe for the 60-64 and the lead changed six different times or something like that during the course of the race. One rider would have a .1 or .2 second advantage and the other rider would pull it back and then have a slight advantage and they went back and fourth like that and ended up being so close at the finish that you had to wait and see who they announced as the winner.
Old 10-12-17, 10:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by queerpunk
There was a bomb-ass IP final in the men's 50-54 last night... it was so dope i charted the splits.

My man!

Hahahaha, that looks awesome. I bet it was crazy exciting to watch.
Old 10-13-17, 01:32 PM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Is BB height not an issue with the Shiv?

I know Rock Hill has a minimum BB height, though, I've never actually measured the BB height from the ground on any of my bikes.
The BB is certainly lower than a track bike. I'm not sure exactly how much. I use 175's for road TT's and pursuit/TP. At both Aguascalientes and VSC while going really slow on the track I've grazed the outside of my shoe on the track. I did not like that at all. I know that Larry is using 167.5 cranks and has done so for a number of years with no problems. Perhaps a really abrupt move up track with bad timing on your outside pedal could be an issue even with the shorter cranks? I don't really know.
Old 10-13-17, 07:27 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nslckevin
Perhaps a really abrupt move up track with bad timing on your outside pedal could be an issue even with the shorter cranks? I don't really know.
It can happen, but if you're aware of the limits of your cranks/bb it's not likely to. There was a guy some years ago who was riding custom 190s or something crazy like that in Keirins, and it never managed to kill him. IIRC, he was pretty wiggly on the bike, and even with that and the cranks, he wasn't particularly crash prone.