Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you guys have any funny/weird stories about something on your bike being stolen?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you guys have any funny/weird stories about something on your bike being stolen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-18, 04:26 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Locked my bike outside of the rec. center just to return at closing to find that it had been stolen. After scouring the neighborhood for over an hour I finally gave up searching for it, and consider it my tough luck. Dishearten, since I hadn't owned the bike for that long, I walked to the near by bus stop to go home.

As I was sitting at the stop with my head down lamenting over my loss, some guy walked up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a bike. Extremely annoyed at hearing some peddler rubbing in the salt at this of all times. I looked up to tell him to piss off and glanced over at the bike just to notice something very familiar about it.

Well I guess you can figure out the rest of the story? I guess the moral here is, fate can sometimes have a strange way of teaching us a lesson. Both for me, and the bike thief.
Old 10-14-18, 04:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Locked my bike outside of the rec. center just to return at closing to find that it had been stolen. After scouring the neighborhood for over an hour I finally gave up searching for it, and consider it my tough luck. Dishearten, since I hadn't owned the bike for that long, I walked to the near by bus stop to go home.

As I was sitting at the stop with my head down lamenting over my loss, some guy walked up to me and asked if I wanted to buy a bike. Extremely annoyed at hearing some peddler rubbing in the salt at this of all times. I looked up to tell him to piss off and glanced over at the bike just to notice something very familiar about it.

Well I guess you can figure out the rest of the story? I guess the moral here is, fate can sometimes have a strange way of teaching us a lesson. Both for me, and the bike thief.
When I was a kid, we would often find bikes stolen from our yard within a few blocks. Sometimes I think they just took it to joyride, but your story makes me think some thieves are just too stupid to figure out what to do with their "find."
I take it you got your bike back. Did thief keep his teeth?
Old 10-14-18, 06:21 AM
backonblack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
It's always amusing when somebody posts angrier and angrier posts about how someone shouldn't care about what other people are posting. You have just completed a classic of the genre. Your butt looks thoroughly twisted up from here.

Seriously, feel better. If taking one more inane cheap shot at me helps you deal with your situation, feel free. I won't bother reading your posts from now on.

Balloons too dude, caaaamon I know your still reading take the damn balloons or Ill lose it &^%$ ^%$$!!! Im just so damn mad BRO who can refuse balloons ^%$#
Old 10-16-18, 04:43 AM
JessicaSinclair

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When i was in high school i parked my bike at the bike rack in my school, by lunch time my bike got stolen. 2 weeks later i saw a guy riding my bike he also went to my school but he had repainted some stuff but i know my bike pretty well. I told the head master he then called the cops and the guy was arrested and i got my bike back luckily there were no damages aside from the crappy paint job he added.
Old 10-16-18, 06:37 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 436 Posts
No theft story to share, but I do have a tip. Leave your quick release loosened when your bike is parked. If someone tries to steal your entire bike, it might end up with a scratch or two, but might save your bike from being stolen!
Old 10-16-18, 07:53 AM
Rootman

Bikes: 2015 Giant Roam 2 Hybrid

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Stopped to get a bite to eat. Took everything I could off, including my Garmin Edge 200 computer. Came back and the Garmin's mount was gone. I thought perhaps the rubber bands just broke and it fell off, but nope, no bands or base anywhere around there. It cost like $15 bucks for a replacement! Grrrr.
Old 10-16-18, 09:17 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by JessicaSinclair
When i was in high school i parked my bike at the bike rack in my school, by lunch time my bike got stolen. 2 weeks later i saw a guy riding my bike he also went to my school but he had repainted some stuff but i know my bike pretty well. I told the head master he then called the cops and the guy was arrested and i got my bike back luckily there were no damages aside from the crappy paint job he added.
you can also scratch your name into the seat post on the part in the frame. most people that steal bikes (out side of chop shops) won't know. but if the police are involved it's game over for the guy riding your bike around.
Old 10-16-18, 09:21 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootman
Stopped to get a bite to eat. Took everything I could off, including my Garmin Edge 200 computer. Came back and the Garmin's mount was gone. I thought perhaps the rubber bands just broke and it fell off, but nope, no bands or base anywhere around there. It cost like $15 bucks for a replacement! Grrrr.
people knowingly steal $1 lighters, I wouldn't ever put it past cyclist to steal from cyclist. mounts, lights etc.....

Actually on the tubes, lights, tire levers, frame pumps, QR skewers being stolen, I am pretty damn sure it is cyclist stealing that stuff!
Old 10-28-18, 08:36 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
I had my seat and seat post stolen once on my Jamis Allegro 3x bike only four days after I purchased it.... and less than a block away from Parliament with 100s of cops around too.
Old 10-28-18, 09:59 PM
DimplePimple

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Countless blinkies. The $3 type.
Bike lock in a rack pack. Abus u-lock with no key.
Detachable rear fender in a rainstorm.
Come out a pharmacy to find a guy with quick-releases off and going for the hydraulic brakes. Bike was a week old.
Old 10-29-18, 04:36 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by DimplePimple
Countless blinkies. The $3 type.
Bike lock in a rack pack. Abus u-lock with no key.
Detachable rear fender in a rainstorm.
Come out a pharmacy to find a guy with quick-releases off and going for the hydraulic brakes. Bike was a week old.
Those $3 blinkies come off by themselves so easy that it's never occurred to me they might be getting stolen. Now you've got me wondering.
Old 10-29-18, 11:37 AM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
A bit over 20 years ago I was living in Davis, CA where my wife was going to school and commuting by bike to my job in Sacramento, CA. One morning I went out to the garage to hop on my bike and it was very empty. The thieves stole my road bike, my TT bike, my wife's road bike and some wheels, etc.

The "funny" part of the story is this. I had a Zipp disk wheel IN my TT bike. The thieves took the disk wheel OFF and put on some other ****ty clincher I had laying around, leaving the disk. Also, I had a one gallon jug of Tri Flow in the garage. They stole my ****ing Tri Flow.

They left a $1000+ disk wheel and stole my Tri Flow.
Old 10-29-18, 02:30 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
Originally Posted by nslckevin

snip

They left a $1000+ disk wheel and stole my Tri Flow.
It must not have been on their shopping list that day.