Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New bike day goes wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New bike day goes wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 09:40 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Your reading comprehension is quite poor. Here is what I wrote:
I quoted you verbatim. Everyone can read the post and verify that.

You're just throwing s%#^ at the wall at this point.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-15-23, 09:42 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Originally Posted by Spiro Agnew
I quoted you verbatim. Everyone can read the post and verify that.

You're just throwing s%#^ at the wall at this point.
I quoted myself verbatim directly above, and in context. Your quote was out of context, which speaks volumes about your honesty.

Do you work for Canyon, Spiro?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 07-15-23, 10:01 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I quoted myself verbatim directly above, and in context. Your quote was out of context, which speaks volumes about your honesty.
As stated, you're just throwing s#&% at the wall at this point. Everyone can read your posts and see the context of your statement(s). End of story.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 07-15-23, 11:19 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
As stated, you're just throwing s#&% at the wall at this point. Everyone can read your posts and see the context of your statement(s). End of story.
He dug a pointless hole and then just kept digging.

It's so obvious that Canyon accidentally f**** up the shipping order rather than some deliberate act by a rogue employee or some ludicrous company policy of just shipping the nearest size in stock. But let's not forget that GM deliberately put different engines in their cars, so that obviously makes it a "realistic" possibility. Companies obviously never ever make simple shipping errors and if they did they would issue a refund before seeing the item returned. Not in my world.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-15-23, 11:20 AM
PeteHski

Do you work for Canyon, Spiro?
I'm going to take a wild guess that he doesn't work for Canyon. Am I right?
Old 07-15-23, 12:10 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by Trey83
decent news: he insinuated that people with messed up orders will be able to place orders before they are made available to everyone else. He said they would refund the shipping fee on the second bike ($100 off) and see if there was anything else they could do for me.
This is pretty lame; to start with they should pick up expedited shipping on the replacement. Yes, it's expensive for something this size, but humans make mistakes and when they do correcting it is simply part of the cost of doing business. This is why every business has processes, to reduce the opportunity for human mistakes and hence costs. Obviously they can't ship you an S if they don't have any on hand, but they could see if they have the next up model in S in stock and offer that. Or get a special shipment expedited from the factory. Canyon is not a sketchy low-margin fly-by-night operator, they can do better than than to merely pick up standard shipping for the replacement. I mean, WTF. It's also entirely possible the service rep you had on the horn can't authorize this, or doesn't know if there's a more organized remedy in the works as it doesn't seem to be a one-off, so maybe ask to speak to their manager.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Old 07-15-23, 01:04 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 348 Posts
I wonder if the Canyon rep had known how many people on a bike forum were going to be watching their customer service in action if they might have been a little more forthcoming. I'm not disputing their position, just saying.
Old 07-15-23, 02:28 PM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Bikes: 2023 Giant Defy

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by SpedFast
I wonder if the Canyon rep had known how many people on a bike forum were going to be watching their customer service in action if they might have been a little more forthcoming. I'm not disputing their position, just saying.
Hard to say. However, companies should realize that there are countless social media platforms and it doesn’t take a big time YouTuber or other platform to cost them some sales if they don’t respond appropriately. There was at least one other member that said they were considering a Canyon before this thread. I don’t even intend for this to be a Canyon bash thread. I would still consider purchasing a Canyon in the future but I would be lying if I didn’t say this experience would be in the back of my mind as I weighed the options.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-15-23, 02:42 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by teejaywhy
In case you weren't following along, here are the Cliff Notes:
- OP contacted Canyon.
- They acknowledged the error.
- They are taking the bike back and issuing a refund.

Not sure how it could be handled in a more satisfactory manner.

All the other scenarios floating about are just speculations made by the nattering nabobs.
And typical fodder the endless BF arguments among strangers who evidently have a need to be right and convince strangers that they are. People who often are knowledgeable and pleasant forum members who seem to have otherwise complete lives and healthy relationships, but also seem intent on proving otherwise.

Last edited by Camilo; 07-15-23 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-15-23, 02:56 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
Not understanding what was less forthcoming? What was their position that was less than satisfactory?
Old 07-15-23, 03:07 PM
teejaywhy

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 69 Posts
For them to turn around and tell the OP that the refund is contingent upon the inspection of the contents once they returned is a tad hypocritical, and probably illegal under CA consumer protection law.
They DIDN'T tell him that. You made that up. As you have made up every other "what if" scenario in this thread.
Likes For teejaywhy:
Old 07-15-23, 08:07 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by teejaywhy
Not understanding what was less forthcoming? What was their position that was less than satisfactory?
You misunderstood my comment. I wasn't saying the way they handled the problem was unsatisfactory. I was just wondering if they would have handled the situation any differently if they knew that it was being followed on a popular bike forum. This is a popular bike forum, right?
Old 07-16-23, 10:37 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
You misunderstood my comment. I wasn't saying the way they handled the problem was unsatisfactory. I was just wondering if they would have handled the situation any differently if they knew that it was being followed on a popular bike forum. This is a popular bike forum, right?
How should they have handled it better? They are paying for the return, and as soon as they get the return (iow, inspect that the bike is actually returned and not damaged by the sender), they will refund the money. Seems like a reasonable policy to me.
Old 07-17-23, 08:50 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Originally Posted by Camilo
How should they have handled it better? They are paying for the return, and as soon as they get the return (iow, inspect that the bike is actually returned and not damaged by the sender), they will refund the money. Seems like a reasonable policy to me.
Items I have had to return in the past with different sellers have issued full refunds almost immediately after receiving confirmation that said item had been accepted by carrier. They might have physically checked inventory in warehouse for correct item and shipped immediately if available. Or offered a heavy discount for buyers inconvenience and patience. Offered an upgrade at no additional cost. Lots of things they could have done over and above standard operating procedure. It was their screw up, own it.
With that said, I'm not disputing their handling of the problem. It's SOP, period.
Old 07-17-23, 09:09 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Should we retitle this "New Bike Day THREAD Goes Wrong??"

Would appreciate an update from OP on how it's going.
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-17-23, 09:12 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

The gentleman I spoke with last week was supposed to check into an ETA of when the bike would be available to reorder. No one has followed up since the initial contact aside from the email containing the return shipping label.

Another thing I felt was slightly odd was their offer to refund the shipping on the second bike. Free shipping wasn’t a terrible offer to compensate for the mixup but he said I would have to place the new order and pay the shipping on the replacement bike and then I could follow up with them and get the shipping refunded. If you are going to offer fee shipment to compensate for my inconvenience then why further inconvenience me by forcing me to request another refund rather than just giving me free shipping in the first place? I would think they could issue a discount code for the $100 to make things easier.

I understand it’s all their operating procedures. However, it’s worth noting that Canyon doesn’t care if the mistake is theirs or not. You will be treated just like someone who got buyers remorse and decided to return the bike.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-17-23, 09:16 AM
Trey83
Ride 2 wheels

Originally Posted by datlas
Should we retitle this "New Bike Day THREAD Goes Wrong??"

Would appreciate an update from OP on how it's going.
FedEx tracking says the bike should arrive at Canyon today. I wasn’t able to get it to my nearest FedEx location till Thursday which was my first day off since the mixup. No follow up on Canyons side other than the RMA shipping label.

I have since purchased a Giant Defy from a LBS so I won’t be pursuing another Endurace for the foreseeable future. I will keep the post updated with the return process though. See post 116 for additional details.

Last edited by Trey83; 07-17-23 at 09:20 AM.
Likes For Trey83:
Old 07-17-23, 09:52 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Time lost. Money lost. We live in an era where customer experience (from A to Z and after-sale service) is ultra important to attract and retain customers. The bicycle market is highly competitive.

In this specific example, free shipping (or a 100$ rebate if you'd like) on the 2nd bike was offered as a courtesy and as an apology for the mix up. OP didn't find it was enough and ended up giving his money to another (and better, IMO) bike manufacturer.

End of the story = Canyon lost $ in shipping fees and a customer.

Last edited by eduskator; 07-17-23 at 09:58 AM.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 07-17-23, 11:13 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by eduskator
Time lost. Money lost. We live in an era where customer experience (from A to Z and after-sale service) is ultra important to attract and retain customers. The bicycle market is highly competitive.

In this specific example, free shipping (or a 100$ rebate if you'd like) on the 2nd bike was offered as a courtesy and as an apology for the mix up. OP didn't find it was enough and ended up giving his money to another (and better, IMO) bike manufacturer.

End of the story = Canyon lost $ in shipping fees and a customer.
I think there are a few issues here going against Canyon. Firstly they don't physically have stock in the correct size, so that makes it hard to complete the sale. Secondly this is a German company with a limited US presence and no dealers, so I doubt customer service is as good as it would be in Europe. Stock levels are probably lower too with less spec options. That's the impression I get anyway from online chat about Canyon. Their customer service in the UK is very good IME, but I would be less inclined to buy from them in the US. I've heard more mixed reviews from the other side of the pond.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-17-23, 11:16 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
FedEx tracking says the bike should arrive at Canyon today. I wasn’t able to get it to my nearest FedEx location till Thursday which was my first day off since the mixup. No follow up on Canyons side other than the RMA shipping label.

I have since purchased a Giant Defy from a LBS so I won’t be pursuing another Endurace for the foreseeable future. I will keep the post updated with the return process though. See post 116 for additional details.
Thanks for the update. Hope you enjoy the new bike!!
Likes For datlas:
Old 07-17-23, 10:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Your reading comprehension is quite poor. Here is what I wrote:

Then, ...

and ...

and ...

and ...

I think you owe me an apology.

I recognize that would never happen. It does not follow that the aggrieved party is not entitled to compensation.

Bud, I read all your posts in this thread and then I read post 100 where you recap all your posts in the thread.
Your position/view is no clearer after reading post 100 than it was while I read all the posts as they were made.

I genuinely thought you were accusing Canyon of intentionally trying to swap a size M for a size S. I thought that since you said that.
You then created a bunch of other scenarios which largely walk back your initial claim of Canyon intentionally trying to hide a wrong size frame due to being out of stock for the correct size. But I honestly still don't know what your view is on this, since you have posted so many possible scenarios and then gone at people for recapping your scenarios.
Old 07-18-23, 05:13 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Another thing I felt was slightly odd was their offer to refund the shipping on the second bike. Free shipping wasn’t a terrible offer to compensate for the mixup but he said I would have to place the new order and pay the shipping on the replacement bike and then I could follow up with them and get the shipping refunded. If you are going to offer fee shipment to compensate for my inconvenience then why further inconvenience me by forcing me to request another refund rather than just giving me free shipping in the first place? I would think they could issue a discount code for the $100 to make things easier.
Not sure you've been on the Canyon site again recently, but their offer is a bit adding insult to injury?

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 07-18-23, 07:29 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
Canyon has virtually nothing in stock. Especially if you're looking for an Endurace. I check the website daily and chat with them about once a week. No one there knows when new models will arrive so in some cases it's probably best to look somewhere else.

About 1 year ago I bought an Endurace CF SL from them. After receiving the bike there were several problems but Canyon addressed those problems and even paid for the shop to do the repair. Unfortunately after closer inspection there were some other problems that could not be repaired and I returned the bike. For the record they treated me like a king. There wasn't anything they wouldn't do to make the bike "right". But unfortunately there were several problems I was not willing to take a partial refund for and I returned the bike. I've been waiting 6 months for another one to be come available.
Old 07-18-23, 07:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Canyon has virtually nothing in stock. Especially if you're looking for an Endurace. I check the website daily and chat with them about once a week. No one there knows when new models will arrive so in some cases it's probably best to look somewhere else.
It's not just stock levels, but also a number of models aren't even listed (even as out of stock) that are available on their worldwide site.
For the Endurace as an example, they list a $7900 SLX9 eTap, and the next lowest model is at $3k for the SL8 Ultegra mechanical. That's a big gap.

Meanwhile on Canadian site, there are other pricepoint options in between these extremes, such as SL8 Di2, SL8 Di2 Aero, SL8 Force AXS, SLX9 Di2. I'm not sure why a US buyer can't purchase from the WW inventory.. if they can ship to Canada, why not US?
Old 07-18-23, 07:58 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I'm not sure why a US buyer can't purchase from the WW inventory.. if they can ship to Canada, why not US?
Yeah, it's really weird and frustrating. I've been in touch with them in several other countries but they always defer to... "The US is its own market and we cannot cross ship". It's even got to the point where I've asked them how the US division can stay in business with only 1 or 2 models available. Even some of the overseas divisions are low on stock (but not as low as the US).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.