Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First Road Bike Ride In Two Years

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 08:10 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Two years ago I had some serious trauma that took me off the bike and changed my life. After two surgeries and two years it was time to see if I could ride the tiger. I have been riding a Giant Revel 29 for a few miles. It is heavy, slow and stable. Just the ticket for rehab. Just the opposite of my Lemond Versailles carbon fibre road bike. It is short, twitchey, light and fast.

I picked it up today from a bike shop on the other end of town. After some drama getting on the bike that included poking my leg a few times with the front gear ring I got started. The route is all hills, thankfully they come down as well as go up. Stopped to drink a couple times since I can't ride and drink yet.

Joy! Made it the whole way without nary a burble. A real motivator to keep working.

Joy!
Old 06-04-13, 08:36 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Liked 272 Times in 160 Posts
Congrats!!! I hope things continue to progress

I get poking yourself on the big ring. I have a nice scar on my right calf from gouging it on the big ring during a mtn bike crash a few months ago.
Old 06-04-13, 08:42 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Two years ago I had some serious trauma that took me off the bike and changed my life. After two surgeries and two years it was time to see if I could ride the tiger. I have been riding a Giant Revel 29 for a few miles. It is heavy, slow and stable. Just the ticket for rehab. Just the opposite of my Lemond Versailles carbon fibre road bike. It is short, twitchey, light and fast.

I picked it up today from a bike shop on the other end of town. After some drama getting on the bike that included poking my leg a few times with the front gear ring I got started. The route is all hills, thankfully they come down as well as go up. Stopped to drink a couple times since I can't ride and drink yet.

Joy! Made it the whole way without nary a burble. A real motivator to keep working.

Joy!

Seeing your progress from your first ride on the mtn bike here at my house several months ago to hearing of your Lemond ride in Alaska today - well - it is just amazing.

Folks, Hawk Owl had some SERIOUS surgeries, severely limiting his motion and mobility - he is accomplishing things he is not supposed to be able to do - in his middle 70's. He doesn't take enough credit for his never-ending rehab sessions that he faithfully completes. He never gives up.

Congratulations.
Old 06-04-13, 08:43 PM
NOS88

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome back to the land of the fast and twitchy!
Old 06-05-13, 02:52 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Really good news. Definitely take it easy as it's a totally different set of balance skills. Good news on the recovery.