Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain cleaning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drivetrain cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-18, 10:57 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandrada
I want to find some of that neon green stuff that Shimano packs their higher end bearings with.
For all I know, high quality (complex) calcium soap based grease.

Made a detailed explanation on bike bearing greases here:
Bicycle bearing greases - explained - Bike Gremlin - Bicycles

Now gathering funds to do a comparative lab test of various commercially available and OEM installed ones.
Old 01-04-18, 04:17 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
The law of diminishing returns can apply to chains. Is it really worth spending hours to clean a part that can be replaced for $25 bucks and will work well? In my opinion, no. However, if you have an old chain that's been on the bike for years and a new one will cause problems because of worn cogs then that's a different matter.

I used to use mineral spirits or parts degreaser from Napa to clean chains and now use Zep citrus degreaser and it works really well. So does mineral spirits though. If you're going to this much trouble you might as well go asll the way and convert over to wax-based lubes as they require far less cleaning in my experience.

Factory lube https://www.fuchs.com/lubritech/?pag...d_produkt=2993
Old 01-05-18, 06:39 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
The link takes me to a login page. Could you please specify the exact product name so that we can locate the product? Also, how do you know that the this is the factory lube? Fuchs themselves don't mention anything bicycle related. We're left to guess which of their products would be the best match for a bicycle chain. My guess is Gleitmo 900 spray/dip, but I'm really curious to know what product you linked to. Thanks.
Old 01-05-18, 07:45 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by andrei_r
The link takes me to a login page. Could you please specify the exact product name so that we can locate the product? Also, how do you know that the this is the factory lube? Fuchs themselves don't mention anything bicycle related. We're left to guess which of their products would be the best match for a bicycle chain. My guess is Gleitmo 900 spray/dip, but I'm really curious to know what product you linked to. Thanks.
From my past digging, I gathered that the product that Fuchs sells to chain manufacturers is similar to the Gleitmo or may use the Gleitmo's basic chemistry but it is tailored to their specifications. In other words, you likely can't buy the same product nor apply it in the same manner as they do at the factory.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-05-18, 07:47 AM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
From my past digging, I gathered that the product that Fuchs sells to chain manufacturers is similar to the Gleitmo or may use the Gleitmo's basic chemistry but it is tailored to their specifications. In other words, you likely can't buy the same product nor apply it in the same manner as they do at the factory.
And that justifies the company name!
Old 01-05-18, 08:46 AM
davidad

https://www.fuchs.com/lubritech/en/s...g-spray-white/

This one says it's for bikes.
Old 01-05-18, 10:39 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 747 Posts
Factory chain lube application video. Lubing starts at approx. 4:10.
Old 01-05-18, 11:24 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by cyccommute
If you don't like wasting material, consider how much your cleaning costs and how much waste is generated. I have a cup of mineral spirits that I have used for a bunch of chains...probably around 1 to 2 dozen. That could be up to 84,000 miles of bicycling. I use it once at the beginning and that's it. No other cleaning, no other waste. If I need to refresh the mineral spirits...you lose some when you use it...I pour it out of a can of mineral spirits that I bought before 2000 and for which I paid around $10. I still have most of the can left.

Now compare that to your cleaning system. You clean every 800 miles or 18 times over 15,000 miles on the chain. Your ultrasonicator takes about a liter to use it, so that 18 liters of cleaning solvent for which you had to pay something...let's say $10. The ultrasonicator you linked to cost $60 if you are lucky enough to find it on sale or $195 full retail. Even at $60, you've invested more than I have in my cleaning "system"...a used Gatorade bottle.

Doing the math, I've used 4 chains to your one which costs me about $60. My cleaning system costs me $10. I'm in for $70 and, roughly an hour of my time over 4 chains.

You paid $14 for your chain, $10 for degreaser, and $60 for the ultrasonicator for a total of $84 and from 4 to 18 hours of your time. Plus you have generated a bunch more waste to be disposed of...it really shouldn't be flushed down the drain...than I have.

Damn, your good. But my feet are wet.
Old 01-05-18, 12:00 PM
mfcity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Thanks for your photo of an actual exploded chain link. It makes it clearer why soaking the chain to get it clean inside is necessary.
Old 01-05-18, 12:08 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
bare hands?
It’s true... once the degreaser had failed to make much of an impact. I found myself scratching off dry little traces of dirty ex-Green Oil. Don’t worry, I’ve moved on.
Old 01-05-18, 12:12 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I've found that a wire wheel mounted to a bench grinder does a great job of removing that caked-on gunk.
Sounds promising, although I am probably still going to soak the chain in a mineral spirit bath as suggested and see how that turns out. Does the wire wheel have to be a specific guage to avoid damaging the chain?
Old 01-05-18, 03:13 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Originally Posted by mfcity
Does the wire wheel have to be a specific guage to avoid damaging the chain?
No. Be sure to wear eye protection, though.
Old 01-06-18, 06:05 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Here's an example of a chain cleaned with a wire wheel. The chain was initially soaked in solvent and scrubbed with a brush before getting the wire wheel treatment:

Old 01-08-18, 11:22 AM
cmcanulty

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use a chain cleaner from Nashbar,then brush a mixture of melted parrafin and solvent about 2/3 solvent 1/3 parrafin . It goes on with a toothbrush. As long as the jar of lube and the bike are reasonably warm (like 70 and in the sun) it goes on easily and no black hands when touching chain. I just reapply after riding in real heavy rain or snow. To mix it up just put the ingredients in jar for a few days in a warm place until parrafin dissolves.
Old 01-08-18, 11:34 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Here's an example of a chain cleaned with a wire wheel. The chain was initially soaked in solvent and scrubbed with a brush before getting the wire wheel treatment:

Thats a weak solvent. Have never had any issues cleaning a chain in OMS, petrol, ... ? Once I discovered I could just shake the chain in a jar of OMS, I have not needed wire wheel or any other brushes.
Old 01-08-18, 12:06 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cmcanulty
I use a chain cleaner from Nashbar,then brush a mixture of melted parrafin and solvent about 2/3 solvent 1/3 parrafin . It goes on with a toothbrush. As long as the jar of lube and the bike are reasonably warm (like 70 and in the sun) it goes on easily and no black hands when touching chain. I just reapply after riding in real heavy rain or snow. To mix it up just put the ingredients in jar for a few days in a warm place until parrafin dissolves.
May I ask what solvent you're using? And what's the consistency of the mix obtained? I tried using oz cycle's (from youtube) method consisting of 1/3 melted paraffin + 1/3 liquid paraffin + 1/3 xylene and it didn't work out for me. I guess what they call xylene down here isn't exactly the same formula that he's using.
Old 01-08-18, 12:10 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Motor bikes ans scooters to be more specific. No word of push bikes... The conditions to which those chains are exposed are quite different. Higher RPM, temperatures and forces. Not saying it wouldn't work on a bicycle, just that it's not explicitly recommended.
Old 01-08-18, 12:18 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Thats a weak solvent. Have never had any issues cleaning a chain in OMS, petrol, ... ? Once I discovered I could just shake the chain in a jar of OMS, I have not needed wire wheel or any other brushes.
As it happens, that was soaked in OMS, well, SafetyKleen's version of OMS, anyway.
Old 01-08-18, 12:39 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
As it happens, that was soaked in OMS, well, SafetyKleen's version of OMS, anyway.
Soaking for a few minutes and shaking in a closed jar is key. Like this:

Old 01-08-18, 05:16 PM
Creaky Crank

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Naptha and wax beat everything else

After 50 years, my simplest solution is 1) use/add a quick link like a Wipperman that can be easily removed and replaced by hand; 2) remove a dirty chain, immerse in naptha (a few $ a gallon, cheap Coleman fuel) in a small Gatorade bottle, agitate, soak for a few minutes to overnight; 3) Remove, wipe clean with rag or old not too fuzzy cloth, air dry; 4)Return to bike, after separately washing rear cogs and chainrings if required; 5) apply lube sparingly, Squirt being a good waxy product. Wipe off excess.
My best choice is to actually use paraffin, in a shallow pan, melting just enough to liquefy with the dry clean chain immersed. Stir a few times with a hemostat or pliers, pull slowly up as wax runs off, then lay it onto a newspaper and agitate to remove excess- careful, as it is a hot chain! Wipe more as temp drops, then hang to cool. Then, just reinstall with no further oil, and ride for a couple minutes to loosen the wax stiffness. Lasts several times as long as the best oils, much quieter, attracts no dirt or dust, can be wiped clean; extend intervals with a wax compatible lube (Squirt), then repeat. Wax is easier to clean off, and reapply, the heat being the only crux, as hot wax can spill and burn skin badly.
Old 01-08-18, 05:45 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
I clean my chains very frequently, especially on my gravel bike which just attracts abrasive grit. I find it pretty quick and easy, maybe only 7 or 10 minutes, maybe a bit longer depending how deep I get into cleaning the cassette and such. With a hose behind the house; and get a small bucket of warm soap water. 1. Spray off bike & chain 2. A little chain cleaner on a Park Tools cassette brush, I go over the chain and cassette and cog wheels for a minute or to to knock off the worst of the grit; then quick rinse. 2. Park Tools chain cleaner and solution; I clip if over the chain and back pedal it through for maybe a minute. Remove & rinse chain with hose. 3. Now with warm soapy water, I give my bike a quick cleaning, then saturate a sponge and run the chain through that. You need to get off all the degreaser, or else the subsequent lube won't take. 5. Rinse chain one last time with hose to get off the soap. Its really clean now 5. I then wipe off my bike and chain, and let the chain dry well before reapplying lube of your choice. At least that's what I do, anyway
Old 01-08-18, 06:41 PM
cmcanulty

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I usually mix the paraffin with paint thinner but kerosene works too it just has a pinkish color. I have been gradually increasing the amount of solvent to the paraffin. It goes on easier and I think being thinner soaks in better.I don't heat the mixture at all just leave it in sun a few hours to thin it as it warms.
Old 01-08-18, 08:37 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 401 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Soaking for a few minutes and shaking in a closed jar is key.
Well, maybe not *key*, but this is the way I do mine. I use a peanut butter jar with a tight-fitting lid. The chain goes in and about a half cup of kerosene is added. Lid tightened; shaken vigorously. Depending on how much sediment I see, I may lift the chain out, drain the jar into a "settling" container, wipe out any residual sediment. Once the sediment is gone, I'll use a couple more rinses with fresh (or recycled) kerosene. The chain is then hung up to drain for a while, preferably overnight. The kerosene used is allowed to settle for a few days, then the clear (if colored) supernatant is decanted off for future use. It can be re-used this way many times.

Why kerosene? It's readily available, inexpensive, relatively non-toxic and much less flammable (and therefore safer) than gasoline. Another acceptable choice IMO is WD-40 (I have a gallon can of the stuff!), but I prefer kerosene.

I've never seen residue that requires scrubbing over and above the shaking. When the chain is shaken, there is contact with other chain links which may substitute for scrubbing.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I don't like the idea of wire-wheeling the chain. For one thing, that will aerosolize the solvent and debris; a mask should be worn in addition to the recommended safety glasses. It might also be a finger-snagging hazard. For another, it must make a hell of a mess. The wire wheel will only clean the side plates; it can't get between the moving parts or into the spaces for the cogs (note the correct use of "cogs" ). The chain may look better, but the outsides of the side plates are not involved in wear processes of the chain or sprockets.
Steve
Old 01-09-18, 08:03 AM
Denism28

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Extra Virgin olive oil

I use Mean Green in a plastic peanut butter jar to Clean with énergetic shake, let dry then use extra Virgin olive oil to lubricate . Then put back on bike and remove all I can with a rag and use à rag again after à ride. I add olive oil when I « hear » the chaîn after 150 to 200 kms. I repeat everything after 1000 kms. At 12000 kms the wear is 1/16 the of an inch so the chain is still good for another 12000 kms.
Old 01-09-18, 09:46 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Why kerosene? It's readily available, inexpensive, relatively non-toxic and much less flammable (and therefore safer) than gasoline.
All those attributes apply to mineral spirits as well. On the plus side, it evaporates much faster and more cleanly than kerosene. Kerosene isn't that volatile.

Originally Posted by sweeks
Another acceptable choice IMO is WD-40 (I have a gallon can of the stuff!), but I prefer kerosene.
I would caution against WD-40. It's not the solution that's the problem, it's the added mineral oil that you don't really need. WD-40 is just mineral spirits with about 25% mineral oil added to it. Using straight mineral spirits just cuts out the unnecessary bits.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.