Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain cleaning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drivetrain cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-18, 10:06 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
All those attributes apply to mineral spirits as well. On the plus side, it evaporates much faster and more cleanly than kerosene. Kerosene isn't that volatile.
This is probably "6 of one, half dozen of another" territory. Both solvents work. The lower volatility of kerosene isn't a huge drawback, as kerosene has some lubricating qualities. Higher volatility may predispose to a greater fire hazard under some circumstances. I can see your point though.

I would caution against WD-40. It's not the solution that's the problem, it's the added mineral oil that you don't really need. WD-40 is just mineral spirits with about 25% mineral oil added to it. Using straight mineral spirits just cuts out the unnecessary bits.
As I said, I prefer kerosene, but I have a gallon (literally, in a can) of WD-40. It works as an acceptable alternative.

Can we still be friends?
Steve
Old 01-09-18, 10:20 AM
cmcanulty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
One thing I learned with the paraffin mix is pour a little into a small can and use that to brush on chain. Keeps the main supply nice and clean.
Old 01-09-18, 10:43 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
for Andrei Description

RACING SPRAY WHITE is a white, solvent-containing, grease-based and adhesive semi-synthetic chain lubricant for the lubrication of bike chains (roller chains). After the evaporation of the solvent a stringy and adhesive grease remains which is not centrifuged or washed off. The white solid lubricants result in an excellent wear protection.
Old 01-10-18, 09:59 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
This is probably "6 of one, half dozen of another" territory. Both solvents work. The lower volatility of kerosene isn't a huge drawback, as kerosene has some lubricating qualities. Higher volatility may predispose to a greater fire hazard under some circumstances. I can see your point though.

As I said, I prefer kerosene, but I have a gallon (literally, in a can) of WD-40. It works as an acceptable alternative.
The flash point of both solvents is similar. I suggest mineral spirits over kerosene (or diesel) simply because evaporates more cleanly. I'd rather that the lubricant does the lubricating rather than the solvent. There are some other drawbacks that someone unfamiliar with solvent properties could encounter as well...say using kerosene to clean a brake rotor.

WD40 suffers from the same problem only worse.

Originally Posted by sweeks
Can we still be friends?
Steve
Sure. I may disagree with someone but it's never...well, seldom...personal. I may know a lot of stuff but I'm still willing to learn.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-10-18, 12:46 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
The flash point of both solvents is similar. I suggest mineral spirits over kerosene (or diesel) simply because evaporates more cleanly.
This makes sense. I have limited experience with mineral spirits, so I defer to your expertise.
Steve
Old 01-16-18, 06:23 AM
mfcity

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mineral spirits

Does anyone know a good place to buy mineral spirits in the UK? @cyccocommute recommended it, and the closest possibility for me was an art supply shop; they did have a non-noxious fluid for paint cleaning, but the large bottle cost about £50. Is this more of a house painting product?
Old 01-16-18, 07:13 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by mfcity
Does anyone know a good place to buy mineral spirits in the UK? @cyccocommute recommended it, and the closest possibility for me was an art supply shop; they did have a non-noxious fluid for paint cleaning, but the large bottle cost about £50. Is this more of a house painting product?
Watch out for the naming conventions. Similar sounding names is used for different chemicals and different names are used for the same chemical, depending on your particular country. its a complete mess. It seems, what is called mineral spirits in the US is called white spirit in the UK(!). You may be able to get it in the supermarket, auto parts store, home improvement market, paint store ect.
Old 01-16-18, 08:40 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by mfcity
Is this more of a house painting product?
Yes, just about anywhere that sells house paint should have mineral spirits. You might find them under "white spirits" in the UK. Homehardwaredirect lists them that way. Just about any hardware store should have it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-17-18, 06:44 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
https://thelashop.com/products/jewel...nt=45219195210
Clean ever 800 mile and relube with a mix of mineral spirits and chainsaw bar oil.
I have the 3L version of this very same cleaner, and I consider it barely large enough. It does a fantastic job, though. I keep a spare chain always clean and waxed, no no real down time.

I also keep a one-gallon steel paint can full of mineral spirits. You can get one of these generic cans at any good paint or hardware store. If I fill it 1/3rd full, I can slosh around a few greasy parts and clean them up real good. Sometimes I can throw a seriously-pooey chain in there before tossing it in the ultrasonic.
Old 01-17-18, 06:48 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
I suggest mineral spirits over kerosene (or diesel) simply because evaporates more cleanly.
Not to mention that the odor from mineral spirits is tolerable. Kerosene stinks! Its hard to get the smell off your hands or your clothes.
Old 04-19-18, 11:11 AM
mfcity

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

Well, just a late thank you to @cyccommute and everyone else for the tips. I was happy to find a white spirit equivalent called Clean Spirit at the local paint shop (for only £3 for a big bottle), soaked the chain in it for a couple of days and find it came out really clean.
The weather is also suddenly so sunny here that I am about to finally lube the chain with Squirt and take my fair-weather road bike out on the road again.
Attached Images

Last edited by mfcity; 04-19-18 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Misspelling