Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drivetrain cleaning

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drivetrain cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-18, 09:59 AM
mfcity

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drivetrain cleaning

Having just spent an unreasonable length of time trying to clean the old grime off a chain, I wondered if other people have a method other than this painstaking fuss with an old toothbrush, degreaser, bare hands, etc.

I’ve had to learn the lesson about not mixing lubricants more than once—I followed the advice to keep the chain lubed and just wipe off excess lube as a way of cleaning, but this chain had its factory lubricant overlaid with Green Oil, which ended up very sticky and dry, and did not dissolve much in degreaser. I even soaked it in water overnight to start trying to pre-soften the gunk.

Does anyone have a favorite chain cleaning machine that can scrub the chain all over? I plan to stick with just wax lubricants from now on, and never have to remove such a tenacious variety of muck again, but I’d appreciate hearing about anyone’s trusted approach to cleaning. Leaving the chain as it is now, with just the chain rings and jockey wheels to go (the cassette wasn’t so bad, relatively).
Attached Images
Old 01-01-18, 10:10 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Looks pretty clean to me. I'm guessing if it's functional and isn't actually contaminated with water at this point, the best "cleaning" might be to put some regular lightweight lube on it and ride it for a few weeks until the remaining gunk loosens up. If there's water involved, then I have no idea.
Old 01-01-18, 10:17 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
I have used the Park Tools chain washer and have been fairly pleased with its results. But I prefer to put the chain in a jar (a peanut butter jar works nicely) and shake the heck out of it with several changes of kerosene. The last rinse should be reasonably clear (note: it's never *completely* clear unless you go crazy). You can let the kerosene settle out and use it next time; it will be darker in color, but clear. Let the chain hang for a while to drain.

Soaking in water does nothing for you, because water and oil don't mix. If you start with a citrus-based degreaser, you can transition to hot soapy water, but then you have a wet chain and it will begin to rust. I've used this technique with stainless steel chains, but I put the water-rinsed chain in a low-temperature (~200 F) oven to get the water out ASAP. I no longer do this, BTW.
Steve
Old 01-01-18, 12:32 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
https://thelashop.com/products/jewel...nt=45219195210
Clean ever 800 mile and relube with a mix of mineral spirits and chainsaw bar oil.
Old 01-01-18, 12:41 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
My suggestion(s):

How to lubricate a bicycle chain
Old 01-02-18, 09:10 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Looks pretty clean to me. I'm guessing if it's functional and isn't actually contaminated with water at this point, the best "cleaning" might be to put some regular lightweight lube on it and ride it for a few weeks until the remaining gunk loosens up. If there's water involved, then I have no idea.
Ok, thanks. I see no corrosion on the chain, but the remaining dirt is pretty dry and hard, requiring more of a scraping than I am used to in cleaning a chain. I think I’m reaching a point where I can compromise and leave a little grime after improving on the dire state the drivetrain was in when I started.
Old 01-02-18, 09:15 AM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
Nice page, thank you! I am glad to have the tip about odorless mineral spirits.
Old 01-02-18, 09:21 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
In my commuting days, I'm almost ashamed to admit, I didn't clean the chain at all, just kept it wiped and lubed. I kept a stock of inexpensive chains and just replaced them fairly often. Same with cassettes. The time needed to clean wasn't worth it in my busy schedule. Now, post-retirement, I'll spend more time on it and I appreciate the tips and links (so to speak) so far.
Old 01-02-18, 09:34 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I use this method for cleaning chains before I dip them in wax and never clean them again.
Old 01-02-18, 09:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
...relube with a mix of mineral spirits and chainsaw bar oil.
Well there's the reason you have to clean the chain every 800 miles.

Don't use glop on it and you won't have to clean it all the time. This chain has been cleaned once when I installed it by shaking it in mineral spirits for about 30 seconds. The picture was taken in the dead of winter with regular winter riding.

IMG_1155 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

A similar picture on another bike. This has been my very foul weather commuter and off-road touring bike for about 5 years now. I can't recall the last time I lubricated the chain but it wasn't recently.

image by Stuart Black, on Flickr

The key to keeping the drivetrain clean is to not use something that is dirty on it
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-02-18, 09:53 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by mfcity
Having just spent an unreasonable length of time trying to clean the old grime off a chain, I wondered if other people have a method other than this painstaking fuss with an old toothbrush, degreaser, bare hands, etc.

I’ve had to learn the lesson about not mixing lubricants more than once—I followed the advice to keep the chain lubed and just wipe off excess lube as a way of cleaning, but this chain had its factory lubricant overlaid with Green Oil, which ended up very sticky and dry, and did not dissolve much in degreaser. I even soaked it in water overnight to start trying to pre-soften the gunk.

Does anyone have a favorite chain cleaning machine that can scrub the chain all over? I plan to stick with just wax lubricants from now on, and never have to remove such a tenacious variety of muck again, but I’d appreciate hearing about anyone’s trusted approach to cleaning. Leaving the chain as it is now, with just the chain rings and jockey wheels to go (the cassette wasn’t so bad, relatively).
It took you an inordinate amount of time because you used the wrong cleaner and the wrong procedure. Soaking a chain with oil on it overnight in water does zero to remove the oil. They aren't miscible so it's a useless step.

A bottle (I use a wide mouth Gatorade bottle) with about a cup of mineral spirits in it will clean a dozen chains. Drop it in, shake it vigously for about 30 seconds and fish it out. Hang to dry. Total time is about 15 minutes including taking the chain off and putting it on. It doesn't need to be hard.

I agree with the wax based lubricant. I used Phil's Tenacious Oil for a while until White Lightning was introduced. I haven't used anything since nor have I had to do a whole lot of cleaning. The above pictures speak volumes.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 01-03-18 at 09:20 AM.
Old 01-02-18, 10:55 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Well there's the reason you have to clean the chain every 800 miles.

Don't use glop on it and you won't have to clean it all the time. This chain has been cleaned once when I installed it by shaking it in mineral spirits for about 30 seconds. The picture was taken in the dead of winter with regular winter riding.

The key to keeping the drivetrain clean is to not use something that is dirty on it

How many miles do you get on a chain?
Old 01-02-18, 11:18 AM
ZIZZWHEEL

Bikes: 2014 Lemond limited edition, 91 Calfee Lemond team Z, 91 Lemond team Z steel bike

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
All my chains have a quick disconnect link so taking them off is easy. I have a small parts washer with mineral spirits in it. It has a small immersion pump with a brush connected to a rubber hose. After cleaning in parts washer I rinse it off with soapy water and dry it with compressed air. This a quick and easy way for me. After installation I lubricate it with White Lightning or equivalent lubricant. Whole process takes less than 25 minutes. Easy peezee.
Old 01-02-18, 12:09 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by davidad
How many miles do you get on a chain?
About the average 3500 miles as nearly everyone else claims here. Yes, I know there are people who claim 5 times that but they are outliers based on what other people claim.

Old 01-02-18, 12:30 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
About the average 3500 miles as nearly everyone else claims here. Yes, I know there are people who claim 5 times that but they are outliers based on what other people claim.
Dry lubes are not champions of wet weather performance. The more rain and humidity, the less of a good choice they are. And vice-versa for dry and/or sandy/dusty conditions. Does your (vast) experience differ in those terms?
Old 01-02-18, 02:00 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
A few answers here: Link
Old 01-02-18, 02:01 PM
davidad

I get over 15000 miles on a 7 and 8 sped chain. So that makes me an outlier. I tried White lightning and found it to be crap.
Old 01-02-18, 02:14 PM
Bandrada
Banned.

Bikes: ...

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 6591 Post(s)
Liked 383 Times in 334 Posts
For dry lubes, I just use 120 psi out of my compressor. It's fast, easy, and clean.

Peace.
Old 01-02-18, 02:56 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
A few answers here: Link
I'm in the process of switching over to this method myself. It seems like a worthwhile winter task. I'm using my heated "Prosonix" 3.5 gallon ultrasonic cleaner to clean and then to work the heated wax into the chain. I may have to switch to a small crock pot but so far, when I place a pyrex 4 cup measuring cup with the wax granules into the hot water bath of the ultrasonic - it seems to be working. I can see why getting the chain, the chainrings and the cassette as clean as you possibly can will improve your results of getting (clean) wax into all the places you want it.
Old 01-02-18, 03:30 PM
mfcity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It took you an inordinate amount of time because you used the wrong cleaner and the wrong procedure. Soaking a chain with oil on it overnight in water does zero to remove the oil. They aren't miscible so it's a useless step.

A bottle (I use a wide mouth Gatorade bottle) with about a cup of mineral oil in it will clean a dozen chains. Drop it in, shake it vigously for about 30 seconds and fish it out. Hang to dry. Total time is about 15 minutes including taking the chain off and putting it on. It doesn't need to be hard.

I agree with the wax based lubricant. I used Phil's Tenacious Oil for a while until White Lightning was introduced. I haven't used anything since nor have I had to do a whole lot of cleaning. The above pictures speak volumes.
Mineral oil recommendation duly noted. So this would clean a bike chain?
Ebay UK mineral oil

I doubt my experience with this chain is unique, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention Green Oil as a chain lube, and the grime remaining now is really dry, rather than oily. I’m happy togive mineral oil a try, though, after the range of endorsements here.
Old 01-02-18, 03:59 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Mineral spirits, maybe?
Old 01-02-18, 05:13 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Slaninar
Dry lubes are not champions of wet weather performance. The more rain and humidity, the less of a good choice they are. And vice-versa for dry and/or sandy/dusty conditions. Does your (vast) experience differ in those terms?
Honestly, wet lubricants aren't champions of wet weather performance either. Neither lubricant does all that well in wet conditions and needs to be refreshed after use. The difference is that dry lubricants don't float off the surface of the metal as easily as oil based lubricants do. As an added bonus, dry lubricants don't attract the grit that wet lubes do and work to keep it out of the chain.

I haven't used any other lubricant for (about) 20 years. In that time frame, I've toured throughout most of the US in every summer condition imaginable and not found dry lubricants to be all that bad even during downpours.

I've also commuted to work extensively over that same time period in every imaginable condition including snow, ice storms, thunderstorms and even a few inches of hail. The only problem I've encountered has been applying dry lubricant to a cold chain. It doesn't work all that well. Thankfully, I'm allowed to bring my bike into the building at work so I add lubricant there if needed.

Old 01-02-18, 05:16 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Drivetrain cleaning except when you are trying to sell the bike or parts is stupid.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 01-02-18, 05:21 PM
cyccommute 

Ebay UK mineral oil

I doubt my experience with this chain is unique, but I haven’t seen anyone else mention Green Oil as a chain lube, and the grime remaining now is really dry, rather than oily. I’m happy togive mineral oil a try, though, after the range of endorsements here.
Not mineral oil! Mineral spirits. You may know it as "white spirits". It goes by other names like petroleum spirits, solvent naphtha, Varsol or Stoddard solvent. If you type in "mineral spirits" on the page you linked and click on "painting prep" you can get to this page. Any place that sells painting supplies should have it.

Old 01-02-18, 05:36 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You did say mineral oil @cyccommute. I was about ready to raid my wife's medicine cabinet. She thanks you for the clarification.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.