Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Barn Find: Raleigh Sportif 502 10 Speed Bikes

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-21, 06:01 AM
ellei.oh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello!

I am considering picking these two up but I am not quite that knowledgeable (yet hopefully) about bikes and was wondering anyone could provide some insight as to whether or not I should pass up these pair of Raleigh Sportif bikes (his and hers - $125 for both) or not. The ad on Offerup which since I am new and I can't link, is quite descriptive in terms of the history of the bikes (rode once, left in the barn for nearly 30 years) and have some decent pictures as well. The paint job is amazing as it has practically be left in the barn after one ride. There is some rust one parts of the bike, mainly on the chrome rims but the seller says it's surface rust. He also says that the components work and all these bikes need is new tires/tubes. I'm hoping that a little bit of elbow grease and maybe switching out a few things will make it like new. I do not know if that is just pure optimism or not, but any information on these bikes would definitely be welcomed as well. I did try searching the web but didn't find much information regarding these bikes besides the model of the bike and that it is a decent bike. Any advice, comments, suggestions, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-05-21, 09:09 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,038 Times in 1,876 Posts
It sounds like the late 1980s model from Raleigh Cycle Company of America, built with their 502 tubeset. These were very basic bicycles, about one step up from the bottom of the line. Steel rims in the late 1980s were pretty much relegated to deapartment store level bicycles. They'll be heavy and braking on steel rims isn't the greateset, patrticularly in the wet. If they were only ridden once then parked, that tells you that the owners weren't enthusiastic about the bicycles. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Also, consider that while they may only have been ridden once, that doesn't mean everything is in great condition. Lack of maintenance is a concern, even on unused bicycles. In addition to the mentioned rust, tyres crack, brake pads get hard and grease dries out. They could require quite a bit of work and money. I'd want to inspect and test ride them but frankly, they're sounding like a no-go.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-05-21 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-05-21, 10:19 AM
ellei.oh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It sounds like the late 1980s model from Raleigh Cycle Company of America, built with their 502 tubeset. These were very basic bicycles, about one step up from the bottom of the line. Steel rims in the late 1980s were pretty much relegated to deapartment store level bicycles. They'll be heavy and braking on steel rims isn't the greateset, patrticularly in the wet. If they were only ridden once then parked, that tells you that the owners weren't enthusiastic about the bicycles. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Also, consider that while they may only have been ridden once, that doesn't mean everything is in great condition. Lack of maintenance is a concern, even on unused bicycles. In addition to the mentioned rust, tyres crack, brake pads get hard and grease dries out. They could require quite a bit of work and money. I'd want to inspect and test ride them but frankly, they're sounding like a no-go.
Thank you so much for the feedback T-Mar. It is greatly appreciated and I think I will definitely pass. I have become recently enthusiastic about bikes again since I finally have room to work on bikes and learn more about them as I recently moved. I actually already picked up a couple of bikes (in far better condition then this) already and am pretty excited to get working on them as I know I have a lot to learn still.