Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear gear chain noises

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

rear gear chain noises

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-23, 06:53 AM
cmcanulty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
rear gear chain noises

I recently replaced a wheel and freewheel on an ancient bike. I got it all running smoothy and quiet while on the bike stand through all the gears. But when I ride it the noise from the chain in the rear is terrible. I checked and the chain and pulley alignment looks fine and the limit screws are properly set. Gears shift normally. Chain length seems correct. But the noise sounds like chain on cog noise. How can it be fine & quiet on bike stand and terrible on road? Any ideas would be helpful. Thank you
Old 09-13-23, 07:08 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Chain drive is always much noisier under load. If you kept the old, possibly worn chain, that alone may be the issue.

OTOH even with everything new and perfect, you'll still get noise, especially on smaller sprockets because of chordal action.

Lastly, consider me highly biased here, but your choice of chain lube can make a big difference.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 09-13-23, 07:12 AM
cmcanulty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I should have mentioned I replaced the chain also.
Old 09-13-23, 07:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Swap bikes with someone else and ride next to them. See if you really notice the noise. And you might, but then again, I've thought my bike noisy at times and no one else hears it.

There are some differences between turning the cranks in a bike stand with no weight being moved compared to the chain having to move 160 or more pounds down the road. If you are a masher and power along in high gear ratios, then I'd think you'll hear more noise or a harsher noise than someone that rides in a easy gear.

I have had times that a bike that seemed to be adjusted correctly in the stand, seemed to be at the point where it wanted to change gears on the rear when being ridden. So a small turn of the barrel adjuster took care of that.
Old 09-15-23, 08:17 AM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Off the wall thought - and we've all done it at one time or another. On most rear derailleurs there is a metal tab on the cage between the top and bottom pulleys. If you don't route the chain over the tab it will run along the tab as if it were a pulley and will make a god awful racket on the road but quiet on the stand. Duh! moment - easy fix.
Likes For coupster:
Old 09-15-23, 08:22 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Road vibration/chain bounce can make the upper pulley set too close to the Large Gears in back.... what gear are you using when the noise happens?
and i agree about chain ROUTING thru the der. roller cage...
Old 09-15-23, 10:02 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by cmcanulty
..... I got it all running smoothy and quiet while on the bike stand through all the gears. But when I ride it the noise from the chain in the rear is terrible.....
How can it be fine & quiet on bike stand and terrible on road?........
I selectively quoted to challenge the bad chain routing theory.

Chains routed over the cage's tab are noisy on of off the stand. What's more, people with that problem generally feel the added drag on the stand.

The real problem here is how to tell the difference between a noise issue, and possibly excess noise sensitivity and/or high expectations.

This is one of those cases where experienced ears have to be there.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-16-23, 08:35 AM
cmcanulty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It is terrible loud noise in every gear when riding grinding chain noise on freewheel. All gears are quiet on stand. I am only 110 lbs and don't mash hard gears.It is really baffling me.
Old 09-16-23, 10:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
It is terrible loud noise in every gear when riding grinding chain noise on freewheel. All gears are quiet on stand. I am only 110 lbs and don't mash hard gears.It is really baffling me.
You should have said it was a terrible loud noise in every gear before. And I guess you did, but you didn't emphasize that enough. I always assume many think any noise from their bike is terrible.... and a unrealistic expectation.

You should double check that your chain isn't routed wrong through the RD cage and rubbing on that little tab as others have suggested. Though I'd expect it to be rubbing in the stand too, it may not be as loud and noticeable then.

Take a pic of your rear DR and post it. That might let someone see the issue. Loud noise in every gear just seems like something very obvious is being overlooked.

Your jockey wheel isn't rubbing on the cogs is it?
Old 09-16-23, 11:11 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I’ve had a situation (think everyone who has ever changed a chain has done it once) where I didn’t notice that mistake on the stand but did immediately out on the road. In theory there shouldn’t be any increased tension on that section of chain so I’m not sure why it made such a difference.
Old 09-16-23, 03:13 PM
cmcanulty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I changed to another freewheel both shimano sis 5 speed and it is better but still some noise. Both freewheels run smoothly.
Old 09-16-23, 03:34 PM
FBinNY 

I'm on thin ice here because of my obvious bias, but it may now be time to consider changing chain lubes.

As a rule, dry lubes tend to be noisier than wet lubes, and among wet lubes, thinner tends to be noisier.

If you try another lube and it gets quieter, then you have both an answer, and a new question.

Old 09-16-23, 05:54 PM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
I changed to another freewheel both shimano sis 5 speed and it is better but still some noise. Both freewheels run smoothly.
You haven’t commented on the routing of the chain through the RD yet, that a few people have mentioned - is it because the question is beneath you? 😁
Old 09-17-23, 05:35 AM
cmcanulty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
no I am not beneath anything. It is routed correctly
Likes For cmcanulty:
Old 09-17-23, 01:32 PM
cmcanulty

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It got a bit better with the freewheel change. Then today I switched one washer from the left side axle to the right side axle and that improved it more. Now it isn't perfect but shifting is fine and I can live with the remaining noise. Thanks everyone for the help!
Likes For cmcanulty: